Emma’s Rectangle #2 No upload tonight, nothings wrong, been stewing apples all day long

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's such a shame as Emma used to be one of my favourite people to watch but (as someone who doesn't struggle with eating/exercise issues) even I have started to find her content on youtube especially really triggering. I understand her interests have changed but her entire personality is the gym now. She never uses trigger warnings in her videos either probably because she'd have to TW the entire video. I'm surprised she put one on her recent insta story tbh... I just feel some of the length she goes on and on about gym/ food/ exercise etc and she's talking without really saying anything if you know what I mean. I think it's really unhealthy.. Rant over lol

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I just watched her IG story with the trigger warning and essentially she’s saying she isn’t bothered about the scale anymore.... or that she was for a moment but that she isn’t day to day. However the issue is more that she is still putting forward the idea that the ideal goal is for a thinner body. The “bad” before photo (when she’s the same weight) is the one with a slightly fuller tummy but the “better” after photo is one where she weighs a pound more but is leaner.

If you are a body builder - fine, that’s your content, that’s what you are promoting. People interested follow and people who aren’t, don’t. But if you came to Emma’s content for make-up, interiors, fashion, lifestyle (anything other than fitness really) then what does this promote? Weight loss, sneakily described as fat loss.

I genuinely just think she should keep it to herself. This content only perpetuates beauty ideals found in diet culture.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I just watched her IG story with the trigger warning and essentially she’s saying she isn’t bothered about the scale anymore.... or that she was for a moment but that she isn’t day to day. However the issue is more that she is still putting forward the idea that the ideal goal is for a thinner body. The “bad” before photo (when she’s the same weight) is the one with a slightly fuller tummy but the “better” after photo is one where she weighs a pound more but is leaner.

If you are a body builder - fine, that’s your content, that’s what you are promoting. People interested follow and people who aren’t, don’t. But if you came to Emma’s content for make-up, interiors, fashion, lifestyle (anything other than fitness really) then what does this promote? Weight loss, sneakily described as fat loss.

I genuinely just think she should keep it to herself. This content only perpetuates beauty ideals found in diet culture.
I agree that she should keep it to herself, or create a separate private account to post about these things. Not everyone wants to be exposed to diet culture/exercising “motivation” 24/7

Reactions: 10
I agree that she should keep it to herself, or create a separate private account to post about these things. Not everyone wants to be exposed to diet culture/exercising “motivation” 24/7
I'd say a separate account is the way to go, people do it for their home accounts as they don't want to bombard people 24/7 with content they aren't necessarily interested in... It would be interesting to see how many people would follow it though...

Reactions: 10
Completely agree. Especially when so many people are using their platform to be kinder at the minute go their audiences and say “we’ve all been through a flipping global crisis this past year, if you’ve put on some weight and that’s the thing you’re most worried about then actually you’re doing okay and your body is amazing 💛” reassurance and sort of thing. I’ve struggled with my weight all my life and have some pretty horrible lows lately which lockdown has made worse...and I know which message I’d much rather see right now.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Completely agree. Especially when so many people are using their platform to be kinder at the minute go their audiences and say “we’ve all been through a flipping global crisis this past year, if you’ve put on some weight and that’s the thing you’re most worried about then actually you’re doing okay and your body is amazing 💛” reassurance and sort of thing. I’ve struggled with my weight all my life and have some pretty horrible lows lately which lockdown has made worse...and I know which message I’d much rather see right now.
100% I can't say I've ever really struggled with anything like that and even I feel affected by her messaging lately it's non stop! I can't imagine how someone with an ED etc would feel. She's alienating so many people with this content :(

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Totally agree on what everyone’s saying about the message she put on IG this morning. You can claim you’re not a slave to scales or numbers as much as you want but you’re still portraying a message that one appearance is preferred and that’s just the same no matter how you package that message 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s such a shame because Emma used to be one of my absolute favourite youtubers. I found her content relatable and I enjoyed her fashion videos. I 100% understand that her interests and her body can change but there’s literally nothing on her channel for me anymore and it’s kinda sad. It’s literally her stuffing unhelpful gym and triggering body image content down our throats video after video and Instagram story after Instagram story (n) I wish she would realise how unhealthy her attitude is and how damaging the message is that she puts out to her audience

Reactions: 14
I’m glad to see it’s not just me that cannot deal with all the gym/weight talk. I do find it triggering to be honest, and I find if I don’t force myself to stop thinking about it, I end up getting caught up in it all very quickly. It’s a shame as she was my fave YouTuber for a while but her shift to fitness/food content just isn’t something I can be exposed to.

Reactions: 19
I’m glad to see it’s not just me that cannot deal with all the gym/weight talk. I do find it triggering to be honest, and I find if I don’t force myself to stop thinking about it, I end up getting caught up in it all very quickly. It’s a shame as she was my fave YouTuber for a while but her shift to fitness/food content just isn’t something I can be exposed to.
Vote with your engagement, unfollow, block and don’t engage with anything. She needs to learn

Vote with your engagement, unfollow, block and don’t engage with anything. She needs to learn
Agree, and I’ve started doing this. With quite a few influencers. I feel like they don’t have someone to be accountable to the way you do in a ‘traditional’ workplace.

I used to enjoy Emma’s weekly vlogs but I haven’t watched anything she’s put out in probably over a month now. I just have no interest in her anymore. I think I’ll unfollow and just keep an eye on this thread in case she improves and gets fun again.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.