Emma’s Rectangle #2 No upload tonight, nothings wrong, been stewing apples all day long

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I understand Emma's lack of creativity and motivation due to lockdown. Its hard to come up with a new idea when everyday is the same.
However, I think she simply doesn't want to upload videos that doesn't generate any profit for her. And that totally makes sense because that is her job !

And yes youtube videos generate good $$ but I bet her main chunk of income is the brand deals, then money from her videos must be like a bonus.

I don't want to sound like a hater but or anything but obviously she doesn't have the inspiration to create a fun video when there's no money behind as motivation... and creating "free" videos about her using products she just 'loves' and there's no sponsorship, affiliate link or anything behind that doesn't suit her business model anymore.

Imagine you being in your 9-5 as an accountant or whatever and doing something for free ... would you be as motivated?

Don't want to sound rude or sound like I'm defending her. I'm just sharing my perspective and thats the truth of her job but simply uses the excuse of not feeling motivated...

Reactions: 8
I understand Emma's lack of creativity and motivation due to lockdown. Its hard to come up with a new idea when everyday is the same.
However, I think she simply doesn't want to upload videos that doesn't generate any profit for her. And that totally makes sense because that is her job !

And yes youtube videos generate good $$ but I bet her main chunk of income is the brand deals, then money from her videos must be like a bonus.

I don't want to sound like a hater but or anything but obviously she doesn't have the inspiration to create a fun video when there's no money behind as motivation... and creating "free" videos about her using products she just 'loves' and there's no sponsorship, affiliate link or anything behind that doesn't suit her business model anymore.

Imagine you being in your 9-5 as an accountant or whatever and doing something for free ... would you be as motivated?

Don't want to sound rude or sound like I'm defending her. I'm just sharing my perspective and thats the truth of her job but simply uses the excuse of not feeling motivated...
Totally agree with all of this. And I think what I'm wondering is how does she actually make any money if she doesn't post any vids. Is all her sponsored stuff on Instagram? I don't follow her anymore, so I don't know and I don't remember any sponsored vids recently, because she rarely posts more than the vlogs.

Reactions: 1

But thing is you need to put in the hours and the free time and videos that dont create the money to build a following and bring people to the channel which in turn gets you the brand deals and the bigger companies due to your following so its hours put in for the future if that makes sense. You cant just click fingers and get to the end goal you ha e to put the effort in to get there. She just has no motivation and says she doesnt want to film because she is sad/tired. You know what i feel sad sometimes and i feel like i have no motovation but guess what .... i have to leave my problems and turn up for my job because people expect me to be there and rely on me to be there so i have to do it. I used to like her and enjoy her content but its just the same old im tired i have no motovation crap. Doesnt wash anymore i think she will lose followers for it

• Heart
Reactions: 14

But when you're an accountant, you put work in to get the paid work. You trained for free. In fact, you paid for your degree. You maybe put in overtime or attend conferences for free. Many jobs require some level of extra free stuff- like people who go home and do courses or find ways of improving their skills. I have two jobs- one proper job and one business I own. For both, I paid to train and spend hours each week using my "free time" to learn things, keep up to date with the market. I do promotion and marketing for my business. That doesn't make me money but I need to put in the groundwork to GET the paid work.
Emma needs to put up with doing the free stuff to get the recognition and interest for paid brand deals.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
But when you're an accountant, you put work in to get the paid work. You trained for free. In fact, you paid for your degree. You maybe put in overtime or attend conferences for free. Many jobs require some level of extra free stuff- like people who go home and do courses or find ways of improving their skills. I have two jobs- one proper job and one business I own. For both, I paid to train and spend hours each week using my "free time" to learn things, keep up to date with the market. I do promotion and marketing for my business. That doesn't make me money but I need to put in the groundwork to GET the paid work.
Emma needs to put up with doing the free stuff to get the recognition and interest for paid brand deals.
Yes I totally agree with you! I have also worked for free just to get experience and be trained. And in this case the motivation is learning new stuff, meeting new people networking in your industry etc.

But Emma works for herself..alone.. no team no nothing other than her management so I can see why she feels like doing nothing of the 'free work' that will get her good brand deals. If money is not motivation, then she is just bored because she doesn't get other motivators like learn something new, or shadow someone she admires or get experience and insight into a industry like some of us would given our careers.

The influencer career is very lonely, and if you haven't worked a proper job for few years you will struggle to find structure and discipline as self employed!
Also guys these influencer get paid ridiculous amount of money for 1 insta story 🙄 id say Emma is making good money on brand deals probably over 3k.

I totally agree with yous saying everything you mentioned about loosing followers if she keeps up like that. Id rather take an official break to reset creative juice rather than be giving excuses and apologising (i think it looks bad and might affect her image as brands would not see her a reliable creator?). Also, she is promoting a brand the next day she promotes competitor, this is really bad !!

Reactions: 6
Am I the only person who doesn't care that she is inconsistent? The less she puts out the better, the channel dies, so what. She's not the Youtuber she used to be anyway. Less diet culture discourse being put out into the ether.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Am I the only person who doesn't care that she is inconsistent? The less she puts out the better, the channel dies, so what. She's not the Youtuber she used to be anyway. Less diet culture discourse being put out into the ether.
Tbh I don't care that much either, I do watch her videos sometimes but she is not my fav youtuber.
I am just curious about influencer's work ethics as they say they struggle a lot, but earn lots of money, and always give this image of doing little work and then they're sooo burnout. I think every influencer falls into the same pattern as Emma at some point.

I do not envy influencer career at all 😂😂

Reactions: 4
So by the looks of it she’s traveled up to Stafford again to get her hair done for free

• Angry
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
Yeah, I don't think inconsistency in itself is bad. Lots of really excellent youtubers have no set schedule. It's just annoying that she makes such a song and dance about it! Just don't have a schedule. Certainly don't give yourself a schedule (she gets to decide!) and then tell people some rubbish excuse for not doing it, and certainly don't complain when people call that out.

Some influencers really do work hard and are earning their money fair and square. They have a niche. They research their content, they come up with creative content. And I'm sure it has lots of downsides. But it's frustrating hearing people complain about the job when they chose it. Could have been a make up artist if she liked make up that much. A hairdresser. There's a difference between saying "hey, actually I get quite lonely" or "I'm really struggling with ideas" and just straight up whinging.

Reactions: 9
But Emma works for herself..alone.. no team no nothing other than her management so I can see why she feels like doing nothing of the 'free work' that will get her good brand deals. If money is not motivation, then she is just bored because she doesn't get other motivators like learn something new, or shadow someone she admires or get experience and insight into a industry like some of us would given our careers.
But when she started YouTube she won’t have been making money... people might start YouTube with the idea of making money from it but you’re lucky if that happens. It only happens if you put effort into it. Her whole work ethic is messed up, she’s only 24 and this is her attitude towards work... is she just going to live the next 40 years off her life living off Tim and her parents?? It’s so sad.

Reactions: 6
But when she started YouTube she won’t have been making money... people might start YouTube with the idea of making money from it but you’re lucky if that happens. It only happens if you put effort into it. Her whole work ethic is messed up, she’s only 24 and this is her attitude towards work... is she just going to live the next 40 years off her life living off Tim and her parents?? It’s so sad.
I don’t think she”l see anything wrong with that? Her dad clearly has set her up well, I’m sure her inheritance will keep her going. If she was that bothered she would graft, the problem is brands pay so much money for these influencers Emma is making a lot of money outside of YouTube she doesn’t really have to worry till her brand deals dry up

Reactions: 4
I think it's the fact that she sets a schedule which she has no intention of sticking to and then talks about how she hasn't had time. It's the constant commentary of 'I need to do XYZ and I'm behind on XYZ but now I'm going to the gym, which is a 2 hour round trip' then several clips of her pouting about not being in the mood to film while surrounded by clutter.

She could own the fact that she doesn't need to work full time, just focus on videos she's passionate about and post them when she feels like it, while having time to keep her flat clean. Instead she puts pressure on herself to upload on certain days and posts an apoogy most weeks as to why she hasn't filmed/ uploaded.

I think having a week away from vlogging and just sorting the flat and deciding what content she enjoys making would do her some good. Having said that, none of the criticism here is unique to Emma and I imagine this is just a way of life for a lot of influenfers now.

ETA time management and being able to prioritise are life skills that most adults have, because we have to. It's frustrating seeing influencers not being able to manage their time properly or be realistic with priorites. For example, 'I'd love to go for a walk with my friend and have a gym session today but I'm behind with some brand work so maybe I'll choose between the two'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
I think it's the fact that she sets a schedule which she has no intention of sticking to and then talks about how she hasn't had time. It's the constant commentary of 'I need to do XYZ and I'm behind on XYZ but now I'm going to the gym, which is a 2 hour round trip' then several clips of her pouting about not being in the mood to film while surrounded by clutter.

She could own the fact that she doesn't need to work full time, just focus on videos she's passionate about and post them when she feels like it, while having time to keep her flat clean. Instead she puts pressure on herself to upload on certain days and posts an apoogy most weeks as to why she hasn't filmed/ uploaded.

I think having a week away from vlogging and just sorting the flat and deciding what content she enjoys making would do her some good. Having said that, none of the criticism here is unique to Emma and I imagine this is just a way of life for a lot of influenfers now.

ETA time management and being able to prioritise are life skills that most adults have, because we have to. It's frustrating seeing influencers not being able to manage their time properly or be realistic with priorites. For example, 'I'd love to go for a walk with my friend and have a gym session today but I'm behind with some brand work so maybe I'll choose between the two'.
Amen to this !!

Time management and learning to prioritise task are things you learn in uni, working for someone else in my opinion.

I don't know if Emma went to uni or what but I can only imagine myself being a self employed at 20 and I wouldn't have a clue of what time management is or what is a to do list 😅

I think the pandemix has made the influencer job kind of more ordinary and similar to regular jobs in the sense that no fancy trip or events will do for content, in the pandemic influences had to pivot and think outside the box to continue with their content while being home... something they've never done before 🤣

So by the looks of it she’s traveled up to Stafford again to get her hair done for free
Wow! I always kind of assumed she comes from somewhere nearish to me (Surrey) but maybe not if she's travelling to Stafford for a haircut!

Wow! I always kind of assumed she comes from somewhere nearish to me (Surrey) but maybe not if she's travelling to Stafford for a haircut!
I always thought she lived near Guildford, and she used to say she has to travel up to Birmingham-way to get her hair done

Reactions: 2
She definitely lives in Surrey, she said she walks to her nail place which is in Reigate.

Ah ok - blimey why travel so far? There's loads of great salons in Surrey and even London if she wants.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.