Elle Florence #5 Granny Aesthetics, balancing unemployment and the art of scamming

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As someone raised by a single mother, I never felt that not having a father affected my view of relationships. If anything, it maybe made me more realistic than some of my peers. I accept that people grow and change, and sometimes that means loving someone but leaving them. Some people never accept that and pay the price later on in life.

Also, I'm an introvert and while I sometimes felt lonely while single, I never felt an urge to be with someone just for the companionship. With Elle, I do get that sense. I just can't wrap my head around the Rick situation any other way... it was just desperation and anxiety around finding love that drew them together.

On paper, Ginette did everything right raising Elle. Education paid for, stable home, private schools, etc. But I don't know if she really instilled a work ethic in her daughter or even a sense of having autonomy over her life. I mean, she followed Elle to Hong Kong for a internship when she was in her mid-20s! That was not necessary and is actually a bit creepy. I do get a codependency vibe from Ginette and Elle, to be honest.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I dunno. I kind of feel like it's nice that Ginette and Elle are so close. I lost my mom at 26 (I'm 31 now) and I would literally give 10 years off my life to have my mom again. All girls (everyone, really) need their mom.

Though Ginette did and does spoil Elle, which is not good.

Reactions: 7
I honestly believe that Ginette set a bad example for Elle. She never had father figure so doesn't know how marriages work first hand. Ginette never worked (or that we know of) and probably lives of inherited money herself. Ginette also does luxury shopping and loves to shop (though not on Elle's level). I feel Elle never had proper guidance growing up.
I'm genuinely annoyed and baffled by your comment. Ginette setting a bad example for Smelle because she was a single mother? That's a bit extreme. I can think of way worse examples than that. Dysfunctional married parents who argue non stop around the kids are a way worse example than a single mother who has the means to provide the best middle class lifestyle to her daughter and makes an effort to reach that goal.

My father passed away when I was a young teenager. My parents' marriage wasn't perfect before that event either. Would you say my mother set a bad example for me? I hope not because she did everything she could to raise me as a compassionate, down to earth, thoughtful individual. These traits are more important if you want to make your relationships work than just OBSERVING your parents' relationship. Even if they're a great couple, this by itself won't rub off you. You still have to be a good person and find a suitable individual to have a go at a happy marriage. And at the end of the day, LIFE HAPPENS and even the aforementioned don't guarantee a perfect emotional life.

Judging by your previous posts, I have a feeling your perception of female roles is quite traditional. You mentioned several times how Eleanor Florence isn't good enough at household chores to make a good SAHM. I know women married to very wealthy guys and none of them actually do much house work. While they do cook and cared for their kids when they were still at school, for cleaning etc. they simply hire cleaners. There's no virtue in cruising on a mop around the house. It's a mundane and tiring task. Instead, these women get involved in charitable work and self-improvement - they learn foreign languages, practice sports, take care of their health. I can assure you that an intelligent man appreciates life with a clever woman more than with one who is always knackered after a day of endless cleaning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I honestly believe that Ginette set a bad example for Elle. She never had father figure so doesn't know how marriages work first hand. Ginette never worked (or that we know of) and probably lives of inherited money herself. Ginette also does luxury shopping and loves to shop (though not on Elle's level). I feel Elle never had proper guidance growing up.
I have to disagree that one reason why Ginette is at fault for how Elle turned out is because Elle had no father figure in her life. There are so many single-parent families so please don't assume all the single-parent raised child turns out like Elle.

My mother single-handedly raised me and my 3 siblings herself. She has an inheritance (but invested it well). She also loves and is able to afford luxury items. My mom is quite similar to the Ginette you described.
So did I have guidance growing up by my single mother? No. My mother had 3 other children to worry about. I had plan my life plan by myself (not without a few 'dumb mistakes' I learnt from on the way.
So, as a child without a dad and only raised by my mother, did I turn out like Elle? No, I didn't. I do not have a goal of getting married by 30; actually I don't believe in marriage or depending on men. I also budget and invest.

Reactions: 10
@thecatlass I totally get your point, which is very valid, but I must admit I myself have had similar thoughts about some women. I worked with someone whose wife was a stay at home mom but I was confused what exactly she did because they had a nanny 3 days a week (who even traveled with them on vacations), and the husbsnd always did the cooking and cleaning because he said she was not good at either. He also would often come in late to work / leave early to take the kids to doctor appointments (he also was the one who walked them to school) which baffled me because I thought the benefit of having someone not working would be that they could handle that. She was super nice (and hey, she put up with him), but i just didn't get why they had her staying home when she had had a nice job she liked etc. She also required a certain level of living, which seemed like a lot to ask for without putting in some level of home/child care in.

Reactions: 5
Just a thought - what if Elle is really studying to take the bar? It takes time. Maybe one day she will just surprise us all and she will start working as a lawyer in Seattle. I can somehow relate to Elle as someone highly-educated and migrated to a place where my qualifications are not easily transferrable. It takes so much time, a lot don't succeed, and pivot into other professions. I have pivoted into another path myself. But while I can still say I am an (insert title here) because technically, I am, I normally refer to it as my "past life" :) I don't even mention it unless there is a compelling reason.

Anyway, I discovered Elle when she was buying Rebecca Minkoff bags. I clearly remember because I searched for Rebecca Minkoff on youtube, and that was when I saw her videos. I thought she was pretty. I like her what-I-eat-in-a-day videos and I like that she cooks. I didn't follow her lovelife so I only found out about Chris, Joe, Rick here.

Reactions: 2
Well, Elle did mention Ginette worked in both Japan and US...

Also, it really disturbs me how people blame single parents (single moms most of the times) because that's 'abnormal' and an easy target whenever anything gets wrong.

I feel like if we really have to blame someone for Elle's issues today, it should be Chris the rich ex boyfriend, not Ginette.

So much for Elle’s defense that she never had role models to help her understand relationships. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I still don't think Chris is married today and he's what... like late 30s. TBH I'm not sure if he's the marrying type. I saw his instagram once and his new GF looks almost exactly like Elle. Perhaps he's not the marrying type - so Elle was probably barking up the wrong tree if she was looking for marriage.

I don't think it is fair how society rags on single parents when they are the ones who are actually taking care of their kids. If we should bash anyone should be the parent (like elle's dad) who just left and didn't care. Though in some situations (like my grandma) the parent is single bc the other parent is an awful abusive person in those cases the single parent did the right thing to make sure their kid didn't grow up with abuse in the house.

• Heart
I still don't think Chris is married today and he's what... like late 30s. TBH I'm not sure if he's the marrying type. I saw his instagram once and his new GF looks almost exactly like Elle. Perhaps he's not the marrying type - so Elle was probably barking up the wrong tree if she was looking for marriage.
This is going to sound horrible but Chris is no catch. He may have money but he is a sanctimonious ass who looks like a donkey crossed with Bon Scott (google him lol) who was awesome for sure but not a looker...

• Haha
Just a thought - what if Elle is really studying to take the bar? It takes time. Maybe one day she will just surprise us all and she will start working as a lawyer in Seattle. I can somehow relate to Elle as someone highly-educated and migrated to a place where my qualifications are not easily transferrable. It takes so much time, a lot don't succeed, and pivot into other professions. I have pivoted into another path myself. But while I can still say I am an (insert title here) because technically, I am, I normally refer to it as my "past life" :) I don't even mention it unless there is a compelling reason.

Anyway, I discovered Elle when she was buying Rebecca Minkoff bags. I clearly remember because I searched for Rebecca Minkoff on youtube, and that was when I saw her videos. I thought she was pretty. I like her what-I-eat-in-a-day videos and I like that she cooks. I didn't follow her lovelife so I only found out about Chris, Joe, Rick here.
If she does take the bar it will be a Christmas miracle. I think by now a lot of us can tell she isn’t passionate about law or being a lawyer.

She doesn’t have any relevant experience to take the bar. As several have mentioned before, she has no court/legal experience which is required to take the bar exam.

She has an LLM from the Univ of Toronto but it’s not an ABA approved (key word: American) school. Again, her education would be sufficient if she ever practiced as a lawyer but she never has and no, renewing your licence yearly does not count.

Comparatively her ex Joe (who last I checked was an associate at a firm) could qualify to take the bar if he ever moved to America or, as outlined by a different poster, may not even need to take it because he has courtroom experience.

But, who knows, maybe she is doing an apprenticeship on the sly. She did say she wanted to keep her professional life private these days. 😂🤷‍♀️

And I agree with bethannebodyworks. I also think it's nice that Elle and her mother are so close.
I will say that I envy those who are close with their mother, father, or both parents, Elle included. I’m not close with either of my parents, even less so with my mother. It kinda kills me when I see Elle take advantage of her mom multiple times but Ginette doesn’t seem to mind.

Last edited:
Honestly, adding to my previous point about blaming single parents for everything, I also hate this stigma around luxury shopping. This very biased comment triggers me in so many ways.

Ginette worked and moved from country to country and has been independent throughout her life. Also, Ginette is already comfortably retired and even has the ability to offer financial cushion for Elle, I don't see any problem with her shopping luxury.

Also, in Elle's young adult days, she was only unboxing Michael Kors and Rebecca Minkoff. This is the best testimony for how Ginette didnt spoil Elle with luxury when she was still young.

I know this is a gossip forum but most people here have been sticking to the basic decency: respect facts, respect each other, try not to offend people and focus on Elle and her own issues. That's why I have been following this thread. Hate to see any divergence from that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
@thecatlass I totally get your point, which is very valid, but I must admit I myself have had similar thoughts about some women. I worked with someone whose wife was a stay at home mom but I was confused what exactly she did because they had a nanny 3 days a week (who even traveled with them on vacations), and the husbsnd always did the cooking and cleaning because he said she was not good at either. He also would often come in late to work / leave early to take the kids to doctor appointments (he also was the one who walked them to school) which baffled me because I thought the benefit of having someone not working would be that they could handle that. She was super nice (and hey, she put up with him), but i just didn't get why they had her staying home when she had had a nice job she liked etc. She also required a certain level of living, which seemed like a lot to ask for without putting in some level of home/child care in.
I have little respect for spouses (men and women) who neither work nor raise children nor do any housework. What exactly are they contributing to the relationship? It's one thing if you have been laid-off, are disabled, or are retired, but I don't see why anyone young and healthy should get a free ride in life on the back of a hard-working spouse.

This is going to sound horrible but Chris is no catch. He may have money but he is a sanctimonious ass who looks like a donkey crossed with Bon Scott (google him lol) who was awesome for sure but not a looker...
He is objectively one of the ugliest men I've ever seen, and his personality seems to be just as bad. Even though Eleanor Florence is no catch (particularly back then, when she had her real face, though her personality seemed to be better), he was still a pretty awful choice and treated her like she's a total idiot. Is a nice loft or a few extra designer handbags really worth it?? For someone who grew up with a supportive single mother (who seemed to have a good job and gave her a good upbringing), Elle seems really desperate to be with a guy, particularly one that can pay up. I have trouble understanding why she would make that choice. No man or nice things are worth your self respect.

I have little respect for spouses (men and women) who neither work nor raise children nor do any housework. What exactly are they contributing to the relationship? It's one thing if you have been laid-off, are disabled, or are retired, but I don't see why anyone young and healthy should get a free ride in life on the back of a hard-working spouse.
I know a woman like this and honestly, the best way to describe her situation is that she had a lot of wiles when she first met her husband (and was reasonably attractive) and they married quickly, and now they stay married because divorce is expensive and they have a deal. Her looks have faded at this point and I honestly don't think he likes her much based on the few times I've hung out with the two of them, but she makes his life easy so he doesn't mind having her around. He's a cool guy but not easy to deal with, and he was cheating on her even before marriage so I think they implicitly both know what they were in for. I'm pretty sure she and her husband have a don't ask don't tell policy when it comes to him cheating (she goes abroad to visit her family for months at a time each year and they barely stay in touch). To her credit, she is a good wife in the sense that she does a lot to make him comfortable/happy (not housekeeping because they have a cleaning lady, but things like managing household expenses, running errands, etc.) and he gets a pass to do whatever he wants as long as she doesn't see it. It's a strange arrangement but no doubt it works for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Well, Elle did mention Ginette worked in both Japan and US...

Also, it really disturbs me how people blame single parents (single moms most of the times) because that's 'abnormal' and an easy target whenever anything gets wrong.

I feel like if we really have to blame someone for Elle's issues today, it should be Chris the rich ex boyfriend, not Ginette.
I agree with everything you said except the blaming Chris part. Why is it his fault? Elle picked him, so she must have been drawn to his lifestyle in the first place.

Elle's problems are her own. Sure she was born into a comfortable life, but she took each step to land up where she is today.

I don't know enough of Ginette to be able to figure out the values she passed on to Elle, but she seems real, down-to-earth, polite, and content. I see Elle as fake, pretentious, snobby, and rude. I don't know how that could be blamed on Ginette.

I agree with everything you said except the blaming Chris part. Why is it his fault? Elle picked him, so she must have been drawn to his lifestyle in the first place.

Elle's problems are her own. Sure she was born into a comfortable life, but she took each step to land up where she is today.

I don't know enough of Ginette to be able to figure out the values she passed on to Elle, but she seems real, down-to-earth, polite, and content. I see Elle as fake, pretentious, snobby, and rude. I don't know how that could be blamed on Ginette.
People blame Chris sometimes because pre-Chris, Eleanor Florence was actually somewhat down-to-earth and seemed to work hard in life (going to school, articling role at a legit firm, etc.) but he pretty much updated her from Walmart candle hauls and Rebecca Minkoff to the person she is today. A lot of the snobbishness, European-isms, and pretentiousness also happened post-Chris, who exhibited a lot of the same traits. The lying, scamming, and princess persona all happened post-Chris as well and the way she pretty much steamrolled over Joe and took advantage of him were all post-Chris decisions so it's hard to not see some correlation with that. Ultimately, she's the one who made the decisions and no one else is to blame, but Chris definitely influenced her personality for the worse.

Reactions: 9
It does sound horrible, because looks are not everything. And not getting married by a certain age doesn't mean anything. Chris was smart, hard-working, and had an interesting life. I did not like how he appeared to treat Elle, but tbh if you were to get a 2 min clip of me getting mad at my loved ones after they have annoyed me for an hour, I'd probably sound like that.

I said, if we really have to blame someone for Elle's problems, I'll pick Chris over Ginette. Elle is of course 100% percent responsible for her own issues, but just trying to made my point about how a bad partner can have a lot more influence on an adult like Elle than her mom.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.