Elle Florence #5 Granny Aesthetics, balancing unemployment and the art of scamming

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It does sound horrible, because looks are not everything. And not getting married by a certain age doesn't mean anything. Chris was smart, hard-working, and had an interesting life. I did not like how he appeared to treat Elle, but tbh if you were to get a 2 min clip of me getting mad at my loved ones after they have annoyed me for an hour, I'd probably sound like that.
I think the ladies were trying to make a point rather than saying looks are everything. And none of us said there was anything wrong with Chris not marrying except for one member. Let's face it, Chris seems condescending (this isn't from just one clip or video), inconsiderate given he kicked Eleanor out of his loft within 3-4 months of moving in together (could be due to Elle being extra unreasonable but still seems pretty extreme), was unattractive and short, and treated Elle like she's stupid on film many times. They also seemed to have very little in common from the few conversations we've heard them have on film. The only things he had going for him were the fact that he was reasonably successful and upgraded Eleanor's lifestyle. It says a lot about them both that they had a relationship given all those things.

What I love this group is that we try to be mature and reasonable, but we also say it like it is. Objectively speaking, Chris is unattractive and condescending and very pretentious. Eleanor of course ultimately made the decision to be who she is but no doubt there is some influence from him.

Reactions: 8
I think the ladies were trying to make a point rather than saying looks are everything. And none of us said there was anything wrong with Chris not marrying except for one member. Let's face it, Chris seems condescending (this isn't from just one clip or video), inconsiderate given he kicked Eleanor out of his loft within 3-4 months of moving in together (could be due to Elle being extra unreasonable but still seems pretty extreme), was unattractive and short, and treated Elle like she's stupid on film many times. They also seemed to have very little in common from the few conversations we've heard them have on film. The only things he had going for him were the fact that he was reasonably successful and upgraded Eleanor's lifestyle. It says a lot about them both that they had a relationship given all those things.
The relationship between Chris and Elle makes me think of the short story The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant.

Don't know if people here still remember that from middle school literature class lol. Chris basically is the necklace for Elle. Chris gave Elle easy access to a luxury, aspired lifestyle Elle would otherwise have to work very hard for. After losing that lifestyle, Elle felt 'obliged' to keep that lifestyle and everything she did was to keep up that appearance.

Of course Elle is at more fault for value that too much. But Chris is the catalyst in this.

Reactions: 7
I think a variety of factors molded Elle into who she is today... Ginette, her exes, Hallmark movies, Fufu, Gossip Girl, etc...

Regarding her professional endeavours (school, work), I think Elle does well when things are structured. She landed a great internship after law school, but only because it was required to become an accredited lawyer. She did well in her job at MFDA, but never sought other jobs with other firms or got promoted. If you give her something to do, she will work hard and do it. If you has to show initative and take a risk, not so much. Case in point, not being able to find a job or even seeking one.

Reactions: 9
I think a variety of factors molded Elle into who she is today... Ginette, her exes, Hallmark movies, Fufu, Gossip Girl, etc...

Regarding her professional endeavours (school, work), I think Elle does well when things are structured. She landed a great internship after law school, but only because it was required to become an accredited lawyer. She did well in her job at MFDA, but never sought other jobs with other firms or got promoted. If you give her something to do, she will work hard and do it. If you has to show initative and take a risk, not so much. Case in point, not being able to find a job or even seeking one.
I honestly feel like she just doesn't care about having a career at this point. I am willing to bet that if Eleanor Florence found a guy tomorrow who would pay for her, she'd just move in, continue to scam her subscribers, and push him towards marriage. Someone previously mentioned her going to school and getting a MRS degrees and I get that impression from her as well. She wants to appear good on paper, but without putting in the actual work and when people call her out, she lies and and avoids the subject.

All of this would be fine if she was honest about it, but she's still trying to push the girlboss/independent woman narrative while using that image to scam her viewers. I have noticed that she's toned down the whole working lawyer persona after people came up with receipts.

Reactions: 11
I honestly feel like she just doesn't care about having a career at this point. I am willing to bet that if Eleanor Florence found a guy tomorrow who would pay for her, she'd just move in, continue to scam her subscribers, and push him towards marriage. Someone previously mentioned her going to school and getting a MRS degrees and I get that impression from her as well. She wants to appear good on paper, but without putting in the actual work and when people call her out, she lies and and avoids the subject.

All of this would be fine if she was honest about it, but she's still trying to push the girlboss/independent woman narrative while using that image to scam her viewers. I have noticed that she's toned down the whole working lawyer persona after people came up with receipts.
I agree and if I had to be honest, I don’t think I’d care if she just came out and said she just wants to be a SAHM or wanted to have a 9 to 5 job or just be a youtuber/jeweler/insert-title-that-isn’t-a-lawyer here (lol). If that’s what makes her happy and so long as she isn’t scamming or lying to anyone, fine, whatever, it’s none of my business. I know we give her crap for her education and former job but, for me at least, it had more to do with her inflating her titles and how hard she worked (which wasn’t a lot).

Also, I thought she was likable pre-Chris. Sure, she wore a ton of makeup and was super awkward but she wasn‘t snobby and pretentious and I thought her awkwardness was at times endearing. Her snobby awkwardness now is just insufferable.

Ginette worked and moved from country to country and has been independent throughout her life. Also, Ginette is already comfortably retired and even has the ability to offer financial cushion for Elle, I don't see any problem with her shopping luxury.
I don't have any problem with luxury shopping either, but Ginette's career sort of confuses me. Elle grew up in Canada pretty much entirely, so Ginette must have worked in Japan and US (as Elle mentioned) before Elle was born. As long as Elle has had her channel, it seems that Ginette has been spending half the year in Hawaii (since Ginette was in her early 50s). Also, Ginette accompanied Elle to the UK for college and then to Hong Kong for
Elle's internship. I feel like Ginette did not have a consistent career.

Reactions: 5

It was me who mentioned the MRS... 😋

You ladies are too generous with Elle. Elle's life underwent a change with Chris because she herself was changing at that time. Chris was a symptom not the cause of the change. A lot of things changed in Elle's life around this time. She was done school. She was working. She had a new bf. She made friends with the Dolls. She got Vancouver Club membership. She was driving that change. It's not uncommon for people to change after they complete their education and enter the work world. However, in my opinion, the only thing that changed for Elle was that she became more confident and was able put her worldview out there. She is endearing in her early videos because she looks like a wide-eyed ingenue, but if you listen to her closely in her early videos where she talks about her family background and the gifts she received from family members, I see the same snobby mentality. She just didn't have the self-confidence to be as outspoken about it as she is now.

It was me who mentioned the MRS... 😋

You ladies are too generous with Elle. Elle's life underwent a change with Chris because she herself was changing at that time. Chris was a symptom not the cause of the change. A lot of things changed in Elle's life around this time. She was done school. She was working. She had a new bf. She made friends with the Dolls. She got Vancouver Club membership. She was driving that change. It's not uncommon for people to change after they complete their education and enter the work world. However, in my opinion, the only thing that changed for Elle was that she became more confident and was able put her worldview out there. She is endearing in her early videos because she looks like a wide-eyed ingenue, but if you listen to her closely in her early videos where she talks about her family background and the gifts she received from family members, I see the same snobby mentality. She just didn't have the self-confidence to be as outspoken about it as she is now.
Was Vancouver Club/Dolls a Chris era thing? I always thought that it was after Chris for some reason, and mostly overlapped with Joe.

Her spending really got out of control when she was taking advantage of Joe. I don't remember daily Nordstrom visits/Drybar/hundred dollar candles while she was with Chris. Chris may have inspired her but Joe was the one who really paid for a lot of it.

Reactions: 6
No one denies that Elle's first and only plan for the last few years has been securing an MRS degree where she does not have to work and is treated to a standard of living that matches what her mom is paying for at a bare minimum. I won't moralize on that, because if that's what you want to do in life, go for it.

Elle's biggest problem at this point, is that sort of relationship is an exchange. Love isn't a required part of that exchange really. She's looking to exchange her attractiveness, charm, and miscellaneous attributes for resources that can be bought with cash. Her attractiveness is perishable and largely artificial, a lot of men will find her too immature to be charming and then she's just left with the intangibles like her cooking.

Her asking price is way out of sync with what she can exchange for it. Let's be real, to keep her happy, Mr Next is going to have to be taking down about $5000 a month in perks, not counting housing, food, essentials; $2000 a month on handbags, $1000 a month Nordstrom allowance, $500 a month in beauty/spa work, $1000 in homegoods and $500 in accessories. She just doesn't have the sex appeal, charm, or anything else to command that price.

Now I am not saying she has nothing to offer. She is pretty in her makeup and fake eyelashes, although less so than a couple years ago. She has an appealing, feminine body with great boobs without having to put much effort into it. To a guy who values control who wants a partner that he is a custodian of, her childish ways can be charming. She'll cook good food, and when she eventually demands he hire her a housekeeper, she'll certainly ride the poor domestic help to make sure they keep up her standard of cooking . . .

The problem is most guys won't pay $5000 a month for what she's got in exchange. She jumped at Rick because she knew she could get 'back' the years she spent on Joe, only to be back where she started, but she obviously found out that she was miserable trying to live on the maybe $500 a month he was offering her for Ellespenses.

I had a friend in college who married a very rich man. She is charming, beautiful, and one of those people who everyone wants to be around all the time. They're still married, but its a different kind of love than anything traditional or 'Hallmark'. Its not one I could be happy with, but she appears to be. She was able to get her asking price and that was that, so I guess it can work well enough.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I hate to say this but I think all marriage / relationship is some of exchange is it not? Elle is asking for way too much and not providing enough.

Life is very cruel. If you are not useful to your partner, you get dumped. Elle doesn't bring enough to the table.

Reactions: 8
I think you ladies are being a bit harsh...there aren’t enough Drybar appointments or designer handbags in the world for me and I’d imagine most of you to put up with Chris or Dickles. Elle was really taking one (or two) for the team (womankind 😆).

• Haha
The problem with Elle is that she is so unrealistic. Statistics show that the top 1% in North America have net worth of $6 million dollars or so. Maybe half of those are women and I'd bet majority of them are older (men in their 50s or over who had time to work their way up and build their wealth). $6 million is a lot of money but not enough to spend frivolously. And I'd doubt they'd spend thousands of dollars on Elle per month while she doesn't do anything.

And I imagine a lot of men with potential to be rich and who are good looking (like the men Elle wants) want an actual girl boss, not just a pretend one.

I feel like all those marriages to guys with "money" are all transactional and not about actually loving and being friends with your partner, and they never end well. Even if the guy doesn't have much to bring to the table and has a lackluster personality and isn't much to look at he'll still leave and upgrade for a newer model at some point. My ex friend married a guy like that, it seemed like his family's policy was on upgrading "the wife" His dad upgraded to his step mom and so did all his uncles.

It was so uncomfortable in all the wedding family photos to see these older guys with their more attractive upgraded wives. And all I could think was this is my friends future, as the divorced mother watching her ex husband and new wife at her kids wedding. And other than having money these guys had nothing appealing, they weren't kind they weren't funny, (they told some awful crude jokes at the rehersal dinner) , they were all narcissistic and nothing to look at. No amount of money is worth dealing with people like that.

The sad thing is my parents went to the wedding too and my mom was like "it is sad bc you can tell she really loves and adores him, but he sees her as a possession" . My friend could've done so much better but she's got some of her own hang up and narc traits so maybe it was for the best.

I just think if Elle just keeps trying to find a guy to provide for her and let her have an easy life it won't be fun in the long run. She seems to think her life will be set once she has a guy but life keeps happening anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I just think if Elle just keeps trying to find a guy to provide for her and let her have an easy life it won't be fun in the long run. She seems to think her life will be set once she has a guy but life keeps happening anyway.
I mean yeah, her only hope at actual success in romance is to find a guy who loves her for Elle. She already got traded for a newer model when she was still in her 20's with Chris if that's any indication of her chances of success at the first wives game.

I hope she finds that guy who will love her though. I'm mean on here but I really hope she does. I think her mom cutting her off (longshot I know) and her learning some hard life lessons while she actually has to figure out how to take care of herself would go a long way towards making a decent human being fall in love with her. She'd learn to be real and humble, both of which are super sexy to a lot of people.

Was Vancouver Club/Dolls a Chris era thing? I always thought that it was after Chris for some reason, and mostly overlapped with Joe.

Her spending really got out of control when she was taking advantage of Joe. I don't remember daily Nordstrom visits/Drybar/hundred dollar candles while she was with Chris. Chris may have inspired her but Joe was the one who really paid for a lot of it.
That's what I remember
I think you ladies are being a bit harsh...there aren’t enough Drybar appointments or designer handbags in the world for me and I’d imagine most of you to put up with Chris or Dickles. Elle was really taking one (or two) for the team (womankind 😆).
You can't compare yourself to Elle. You have a lot going for you, so you can be discerning in your choice of a partner. As the other ladies have mentioned, what you bring to the table is the determining factor in what you get. Elle doesn't bring much, so you can't expect her to turn her nose up at Chris or Rick.

Yes, it was off-putting to see Chris, Joe, and Rick put Elle down, but she's so vapid and snobbish that it would be hard to restrain yourself if you were forced to hang out around her. I wonder how these guys made it past a month, let alone several. I have friends from all walks of life, but I have never see anyone this lacking in depth.

This is just my experience so take it with a grain of salt, but I do find that racism in America is often more based on perceived race/skin color while discrimination in Europe is more based on country of origin and shared culture. Not saying people aren't racist there if you look different, but I find that usually if you speak the language well, have a good understanding of the local customs, or it's somehow clear to them that you were raised there and embrace the culture, there is a lot more acceptance even if you look different. If you were brown but Danish, they wouldn't have an issue with you or like you less than a white American/Dane.

In America, I think some people feel like perpetual outsiders due to the color of their skin or the way they look, even if their families have been in the U.S. for generations. But I do think North Americans are generally much easier to become friends with. Danes in my experience are tougher to crack but once they are your friend, it tends to be a lifelong friendship.

I don't think you'd have any issues in Canada! We might crack some U.S./Trump jokes at you in a good natured way but that's as far as it'll go. I don't know any Canadians who actually dislike Americans - it's mainly the current administration that people are not fond of.
I have little respect for spouses (men and women) who neither work nor raise children nor do any housework. What exactly are they contributing to the relationship? It's one thing if you have been laid-off, are disabled, or are retired, but I don't see why anyone young and healthy should get a free ride in life on the back of a hard-working spouse.
It’s possible that the stay-at-home-spouse is suffering from a mental health problem. Also, I know plenty of young people who want to just cruise in life after they marry for money

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Haha the talk about Elle getting her MRS degree had me confused at first thinking it was an acronym for an actual university degree. But I have heard of majoring in FARM (Find A Rich Man) 😅

Like others have mentioned, Elle doesn't seem to realize that being a trophy wife isn't a life of perfection. Lots of those kinds of guys want another object to show off, not a partner. Had a friend of a friend try to pursue me before by showing off with his Rolexes, Bentley, and status. He could tell that I wasn't fawning over him like he'd hoped for and was annoyed that I was choosing to study for final examinations over spending time with him. He ended up finding a random young girl over social media who kind of looks like me but was looking for a green card. They got engaged less than 6 months later. After getting married 3 months after their engagement, they had 2 kids right away but the husband is now struggling with his businesses due to COVID. Somehow, I still feel like Elle would want this kind of life for the outward appearance of status, despite struggling. This dude is the type would hook up with Elle in exchange for a little trip to Nordstrom, then go back home to his kids.

My only regret with that dude was that I had a chance to see his mother's Birkin collection and declined. Perhaps the family had to sell some of their possessions due to the hit to their businesses and I'll never get to see the bags in all their glory...

• Wow
I am a child of a stay-at-home mother. Some women or men choose to be stay-at-home spouse/parents. If the couple agrees on this arrangement and it works for them and they can comfortably afford it, then then that's the only thing that matters.

Personally I cannot see myself as a stay-at-home spouse/parent but I recognise that this is an individual choice that depends on people's priorities in life.

Reactions: 13
That's what I remember

You can't compare yourself to Elle. You have a lot going for you, so you can be discerning in your choice of a partner. As the other ladies have mentioned, what you bring to the table is the determining factor in what you get. Elle doesn't bring much, so you can't expect her to turn her nose up at Chris or Rick.

Yes, it was off-putting to see Chris, Joe, and Rick put Elle down, but she's so vapid and snobbish that it would be hard to restrain yourself if you were forced to hang out around her. I wonder how these guys made it past a month, let alone several. I have friends from all walks of life, but I have never see anyone this lacking in depth.
You're too kind to me, haha. That being said, I do absolutely factor in what I can bring to a relationship and whenever I feel like I'm not pulling my weight, I try to adjust my behavior accordingly. I don't want to say it's transactional because it isn't (everyone brings different things to a relationship whether it's being supportive, something monetary, or just making the other person really happy and it's never 50/50) but it is good to have some awareness of both how you and the other person feel and what you both want, and I can see Elle lacking in this area (quite a few of her exes seem put off or annoyed with her). I do agree that Eleanor Florence expects a disproportionate response from men just for...showing up. I don't ever recall her being concerned with what one of her exes wanted or whether they were happy/comfortable or not - it was always the Elle show, and the men were just the supporting cast.

Haha the talk about Elle getting her MRS degree had me confused at first thinking it was an acronym for an actual university degree. But I have heard of majoring in FARM (Find A Rich Man) 😅

Like others have mentioned, Elle doesn't seem to realize that being a trophy wife isn't a life of perfection. Lots of those kinds of guys want another object to show off, not a partner. Had a friend of a friend try to pursue me before by showing off with his Rolexes, Bentley, and status. He could tell that I wasn't fawning over him like he'd hoped for and was annoyed that I was choosing to study for final examinations over spending time with him. He ended up finding a random young girl over social media who kind of looks like me but was looking for a green card. They got engaged less than 6 months later. After getting married 3 months after their engagement, they had 2 kids right away but the husband is now struggling with his businesses due to COVID. Somehow, I still feel like Elle would want this kind of life for the outward appearance of status, despite struggling. This dude is the type would hook up with Elle in exchange for a little trip to Nordstrom, then go back home to his kids.

My only regret with that dude was that I had a chance to see his mother's Birkin collection and declined. Perhaps the family had to sell some of their possessions due to the hit to their businesses and I'll never get to see the bags in all their glory...
Is it unreasonable to think that Elle is perhaps a little afraid of ending up like her mom (I.e. no husband / long-term relationship, alone). Surely, Elle has thought about the future and what it would look like not having her best friend by her side anymore. Perhaps it’s this fear that has contributed to these quick pursuits of relationships? Maybe as much as she loves her mom, and as much as she says that she’s used to being alone, maybe she thinks it’s all a short-term sacrifice to achieve any semblance of a relationship in the end? Or at minimum, a child/co-dependent?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.