Elle Florence #5 Granny Aesthetics, balancing unemployment and the art of scamming

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Since Elle has been pretty boring recently I thought I'd share something with you ladies. I'm one of those fools who purchased Elle's pearls when she first launched it. I discovered Elle and her channel when I was a recent grad who just started at her dream job and looking for outfit inspirations. For the first time not being a broke university student and having a bit more money to spend, I decided to buy Elle's pearls thinking it'd be a good investment for my new professional wardrobe. OMG I feel so stupid just typing these words. Anyways. The pearls came and I was stunned by the low quality. As you can see in the first picture, they are all irregular shaped, have visible blemish, and some not even the same colour. There are also these cheap plastic beads that seperate the pearls, and much of the paint on those beads had rubbed off. The picture doesn't do justice to how cheap they look in real life. The third picture is a comparison between her garbage (right) to another pearl necklace of mine (left) which is by no mean expensive nor luxury, and yet they look so much better than hers to my untrained eyes (at least they are all round). The difference is even more apparent in person. Knowing that I spent over $100 on this makes me want to kick myself. I have no problem with her choice of cheap pearls (some of you suspect it's from Alibaba. I just like to add that China now produces many high quality pearls, she's just not using those), but adding a 1000% markup and marketing it as some sort of fine jewelry than can be passed down to your children is a straight up scam.

By the way, I also purchased her stud pearl earrings. The stud fell off on the second wear and I just threw them in the garbage and never bothered. I unfollowed her pretty soon after, but kept this necklace as a valuable lesson to invest in my retirement fund rather than her "investment pieces".
No shame whatsoever. In the Joe era she was pretty ruthless about marketing herself and her line. She cost you a couple hundred bucks, and that sucks, but imagine being Joe and dropping a 5 figures on her before running for the hills!

I wonder if she has found her next victim. Thoughts?
If she has, he's nothing to brag about. Think about the look on her face back in December when she escaped Florida and second hand stores for a week and her enabler . . . sorry, her mother . . . bought her a designer bag and some diamonds.

The look was so manic, so unhinged, so addicted. If she had a man of Joe's or Chris' level, she'd be sneaking him into her content. Heck, she can't even keep from sneaking in her new female friend to prove to people she's young and attractive. If she had a man with money, looks, or any combination of the above, she would be working him into her social media even if he wanted no part of it. She has so many people to 'prove wrong' she can't control it.

She's got what she's showing now. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Anyone else catch her say during the unboxing that "giddiness" was one of the things she thought was important in a handbag unboxing video? I thought that was so strange because no, I'm looking for the specs of an item or opinions, not an over the top childish behavior!

ETA: I kind of think that kind of thing may have not "worked" on Rickles, he seems way too full of himself and uptight to put up with the immature side of Smelle.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
If she has, he's nothing to brag about. Think about the look on her face back in December when she escaped Florida and second hand stores for a week and her enabler . . . sorry, her mother . . . bought her a designer bag and some diamonds.

The look was so manic, so unhinged, so addicted. If she had a man of Joe's or Chris' level, she'd be sneaking him into her content. Heck, she can't even keep from sneaking in her new female friend to prove to people she's young and attractive. If she had a man with money, looks, or any combination of the above, she would be working him into her social media even if he wanted no part of it. She has so many people to 'prove wrong' she can't control it.

She's got what she's showing now. Nothing more.
I wonder if Elle has some kind of addiction to luxury goods and living the good life? It's a very expensive addiction to have.

Reactions: 8
Since Elle has been pretty boring recently I thought I'd share something with you ladies. I'm one of those fools who purchased Elle's pearls when she first launched it. I discovered Elle and her channel when I was a recent grad who just started at her dream job and looking for outfit inspirations. For the first time not being a broke university student and having a bit more money to spend, I decided to buy Elle's pearls thinking it'd be a good investment for my new professional wardrobe. OMG I feel so stupid just typing these words. Anyways. The pearls came and I was stunned by the low quality. As you can see in the first picture, they are all irregular shaped, have visible blemish, and some not even the same colour. There are also these cheap plastic beads that seperate the pearls, and much of the paint on those beads had rubbed off. The picture doesn't do justice to how cheap they look in real life. The third picture is a comparison between her garbage (right) to another pearl necklace of mine (left) which is by no mean expensive nor luxury, and yet they look so much better than hers to my untrained eyes (at least they are all round). The difference is even more apparent in person. Knowing that I spent over $100 on this makes me want to kick myself. I have no problem with her choice of cheap pearls (some of you suspect it's from Alibaba. I just like to add that China now produces many high quality pearls, she's just not using those), but adding a 1000% markup and marketing it as some sort of fine jewelry than can be passed down to your children is a straight up scam.

By the way, I also purchased her stud pearl earrings. The stud fell off on the second wear and I just threw them in the garbage and never bothered. I unfollowed her pretty soon after, but kept this necklace as a valuable lesson to invest in my retirement fund rather than her "investment pieces".
Exact same thing happened to me. Her Nouvelle Pearls are garbage and should not be worth more than $5.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Ladies, I'm from Europe so not familiar with US customer protection but is there no entity that customers can raise their grievances with? In european countries there are many bodies that you can inform about unfair sellers/ dodgy shops. Smelle's no returns/exchanges policy would definitely be a concern to them.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I finally got the chance to watch some of the videos that were uploaded here. This one is the video that is directly before her "Breaking the Glass Ceiling" talk. (What glass ceiling is Elle breaking?! lol)

She talks about the controversy that erupts on her channel due to her saying she is in house counsel. And I quote with my responses:

"So, I got sent an aricle today by a girlfriend and I had a slightly emotional discussion with her about some comments hat were left on my channel, and they were on my last vlog and they honestly made me hesitate as to whether I wanted to do these girlboss vlogs anymore because I guess they tend to be controversial. Maybe this one will be controversial too if you guys are gonna like freak out over something i said, I don't know, but I think the point of them has to be really real about what my life is like. So one of the things that really upset people was that I state fairly regularly in my videos that I'm a lawyer."
People aren't upset that Elle called herself a lawyer. People were upset because it's the optics. If you call yourself a medical doctor that usually means you are actually practicing medicine in some sort of way. To be shocked that people take it that way would be disingenuous because we all know that in common parlance, doctor = someone who practices medicine. In the same vein, if you call yourself a lawyer most people will believe that you are practicing law in some capacity. It doesn't have to mean you are in private practice; you could be working for the government, for a company (aka in house counsel), or otherwise, but it does mean that you use your law degree in some capacity. Sure, if you have a law degree you are technically a lawyer, but a law degree doesn't automatically mean you are working as a lawyer. Just like a medical degree and license means you are technically a doctor, but unless you practice you are not working as a doctor. Elle knows this.

I think I must have mentioned either in that video or somewhere that I am in house counsel and people were just freaking out in the comments. Some people were saying that I was basically like someone at Starbucks who says they are a doctor because they have a medical degree or something like that. And it just really blew my mind that there was still so much ignorance out there about practice and about women working.
This has nothing to do with women working. Elle is spinning her little wheels here to make it about anything but her dishonesty.

And I'm not making it about women just to be sanctimonious.
Yes she is, lol.

I actually wasn't gonna talk about this at all until I saw this article today and it really sort of clarified my feelings on the subject. So in a nutshell like I said I am in house counsel so I was in private practice while I was doing my training and then like many other women—and this article sort of reminded me of that—I left private practice to be in house counsel and it was the right decision for me. I am part of a very large statistic because when you graduate from law school over the last 15 years or so its always been the case that women make up over 50% of graduating law students. And most of them are admitted to the bar one way or another although some do go and do something else right away, but most of the training opportunities are in private practice.
Statistic or not, she is not in house counsel. Facts are facts. Chambers describes in house counsel as follows, "In house counsel are hired by a corporation's law department to handle a range of legal issues affecting the company, among them employment, policy, tax and regulatory matters. More prevalently, they play a managerial role, overseeing work that's been outsourced to attorneys at independent firms."

Elle has never, nor does she, work for a corporation's law department. I know what in house counsel does and so does pretty much anyone who knows anything about law practice. Elle worked for the Mutual Fund Dealer's Association of Canada in an investigatory capacity. Apples and oranges. This person holds the same position Elle formerly did:https://www.linkedin.com/in/sheila-daneshvaziri-298699b/?originalSubdomain=ca. She has no qualifying law degree.

However, five years in for various reasons--life work balance being the main one--about only 66% are left in practice at all. So I'm still practicing, I'm still registered with the law society, I still pay those fees, my work actually pays those fees for me which is lovely. And yeah, so only like about 2/3rd of women remain in practice at all 5 years in, so that's how high the attrition is and how its difficult to be a woman in law, and its part of, I'd say, it's one of the reasons why it's important to me to make these vlogs.
Irrelevant, really. Elle thinks that we think that all law = private practice. That's the complete wrong assumption. We know that not all lawyers work in private practice; it's not the crux of our argument. Our argument is that she is not working as a lawyer as she claims, much less as in house counsel which is a completely different position. Note that there are counsel positions at the MFDA but they are not in house counsel (there is a slight distinction--in house counsel strictly means working for a private corporation in their legal department). The counsel positions at MFDA mean they are in the legal department, as the MFDA has investigatory/legal/enforcement departments, etc. The fact that Elle doesn't even work in the legal branch speaks for itself. She was an investigator, not even counsel.

So, to recap:

In house counsel = working as a practicing attorney for a company (like Nike, Lululemon, or Shell)
Counsel at MFDA = the lawyers who practice law and work for the Mutual Fund Dealers' Association in the legal department, counseling the other departments (enforcement, investigations, etc.)
Investigator at MFDA = not in house counsel

Her job description is JD-optional which means even a non-attorney can do it. The fact that she has a qualifying law degree does not mean that every position she touches is "in house counsel" or "attorney." If Elle worked retail, would she say she is in house counsel for Kohl's?

I feel like they’re meant to be lighthearted but also a bit meaningful.
Because Elle is the posterchild for breaking the glass ceiling and professional advancement, lol.

So yeah, that’s the statistic for 5 years in but then after that I think is the most kind of shocking statistic because around 10 years after that, only about 8% of those women will be made partners. So that means that really when you're looking at private practice and you're considering that as the only way of being a lawyer which is what people were suggesting in the comments and that in some ways if you're not in private practice with clients you are in some way not a legitimate lawyer or you're lying about being in practice which is what was sort of leveled at me, you're basically excluding 92% of women.
Extremely faulty logic for a lawyer. 8% of women being made partners =! the percentage of women who are left in law that are not partners that we do still consider to be working in law. Elle thinks that we think that if a woman is not made partner, she is somehow not working in law? That's irrational. You do not need to be made partner to practice law--why would anyone think that? Also, we know that there are all types of attorneys both in private practice and doing PI work, working for the government, etc. We only object to Elle saying she is in house counsel when she is not and her saying she is a practicing lawyer when she is not.

So, it's just insane to me that that's something that is so widely believed and I feel like TV shows are partly responsible because they only tend to portray private practice as the only real option to practice law. But it's absolutely not the case. In fact, as I've just stated, most women who remain in practice are not in private practice with clients. So yeah I think it's really interesting that's a perspective that still dominates even though it's so inaccurate.
Again conflating the issues. Nobody cares that Elle works for the Mutual Fund Dealers Association. People care that she overinflates her position, lies about it, and vlogs like she is some paragon of women's empowerment.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Great points. Elle is like the worst person to get a law degree...she has mastered the art of misrepresenting things through semantics and word play, intentionally conflating issues and setting up straw man arguments, while not putting her law degree to actual use.

When Elle says "most women who remain in practice are not in private practice with clients"-- I am not a lawyer so maybe I'm missing something, but the dictionary definition of lawyer is:

"a person whose profession is to represent clients in a court or to advise or act for clients in other legal matters."

I get that there are some lawyers who are not technically representing clients (like say, judges or people who write regulations), but the majority of lawyers are representing clients directly or indirectly, whether the clients are private clients, businesses or governments. This isn't even about private vs. government practice. Plenty of lawyers work for the government, but they're still practicing law and advising/representing the government.

I have multiple classmates (women) who are attorneys and they are all still practicing law after 5 years. Why would you even get a law degree when you don't intend to use your legal knowledge to serve clients? People who use degrees as a status symbol they can brag about, rather than as a means to do actual work in that field, annoy me so much. Their school spots should go to people who actually want to do real work in that field.

Here in the US at least, law school is very expensive, and also costs 3 years of time, so lawyers who graduate are damn well going to practice law, if only because they have a pile of student debt to repay, and don't have a Ginette to subsidize their life.

Reactions: 14
I wonder if Elle has some kind of addiction to luxury goods and living the good life? It's a very expensive addiction to have.
She's definitely addicted to buying luxury goods. She's hoping they will give her the 'good life' but when each luxury purchase doesn't, she just moves on to planning her next.

Great points. Elle is like the worst person to get a law degree...she has mastered the art of misrepresenting things through semantics and word play, intentionally conflating issues and setting up straw man arguments, while not putting her law degree to actual use.

When Elle says "most women who remain in practice are not in private practice with clients"-- I am not a lawyer so maybe I'm missing something, but the dictionary definition of lawyer is:

"a person whose profession is to represent clients in a court or to advise or act for clients in other legal matters."

I get that there are some lawyers who are not technically representing clients (like say, judges or people who write regulations), but the majority of lawyers are representing clients directly or indirectly, whether the clients are private clients, businesses or governments. This isn't even about private vs. government practice. Plenty of lawyers work for the government, but they're still practicing law and advising/representing the government.

I have multiple classmates (women) who are attorneys and they are all still practicing law after 5 years. Why would you even get a law degree when you don't intend to use your legal knowledge to serve clients? People who use degrees as a status symbol they can brag about, rather than as a means to do actual work in that field, annoy me so much. Their school spots should go to people who actually want to do real work in that field.

Here in the US at least, law school is very expensive, and also costs 3 years of time, so lawyers who graduate are damn well going to practice law, if only because they have a pile of student debt to repay, and don't have a Ginette to subsidize their life.
I just want to point out that Elle’s entire undergraduate law degree plus her university of Toronto masters was the length of a normal undergraduate degree here in Canada/US (four years). All the lawyers I know did four years of undergrad plus three years of law school before being called to the bar. She also does not have a JD, by far the preferred and usual degree for lawyers here in North America.

She took a super easy way out to become a lawyer by Canadian/American standards. If she was planning to practice in Canada, there is no good reason for her to get a foreign law degree when most employers here prefer undergrad degree + JD but Elle probably went to Durham for cheap because she has EU citizenship through Ginette and four years of schooling in total is of course much easier than 7. For the masters program she went to, she didn’t even have to do the LSAT! She might be a lawyer on technicality but I doubt many actually lawyers here respect the path she took. She is not comparable to those who grew up abroad, did their degree there, came to North America and choose to legitimize their degree here to continue their practice. Those people usually come here with years of relevant experience and it makes sense for them to do whatever kind of law degree was offered in their home country. Elle took a easy way into law school because many people don’t even get in to law school here in Canada/US if they don’t have a good undergraduate GPA plus LSAT score but Elle doesn’t seem to have even done the LSAT. I suspect that Elle wasn’t confident she could get into law school here (if you don’t, then you pretty much did four years of undergrad in whatever subject you studied but you can’t become a lawyer at all) and found a loophole in the European system (straight into law school after high school). Fake and lazy at best. Eleanor Florence is a lazy fraud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Going back to Elle’s proclamations of being a jeweler, I do want to say that I have lots of costume jewelry myself and I’ve bought some handmade costume jewelry from Etsy. Even then, those vendors took classes to learn the trade (which I read in their bios). Sorry, Elle, just because you did a high school apprenticeship at a jeweler doesn’t mean it equates to formal coursework at a trade school. And given how sh*tty her actual pearls look, anyone can see she doesn’t know squat about gemstones and could learn a thing or two from the GIA. 🙄😂

Which is why I don’t understand why Elle wants to take the Washington bar exam if she isn’t going to practice law here. The bar exam is difficult (Dickles failed the OH bar 3x, apparently), expensive (I’m guessing Maman will pay for it), and time consuming. Logically it’s not worth taking it for bragging rights but stupid Elle is so hard headed she can’t see that.

And she’s still not doing anything to be eligible to take the WA bar. She refuses to admit her degree doesn’t mean tit in the US and doesn’t want to bother applying to law school or apprentice under a lawyer.

• Haha
Going back to Elle’s proclamations of being a jeweler, I do want to say that I have lots of costume jewelry myself and I’ve bought some handmade costume jewelry from Etsy. Even then, those vendors took classes to learn the trade (which I read in their bios). Sorry, Elle, just because you did a high school apprenticeship at a jeweler doesn’t mean it equates to formal coursework at a trade school. And given how sh*tty her actual pearls look, anyone can see she doesn’t know squat about gemstones and could learn a thing or two from the GIA. 🙄😂

Which is why I don’t understand why Elle wants to take the Washington bar exam if she isn’t going to practice law here. The bar exam is difficult (Dickles failed the OH bar 3x, apparently), expensive (I’m guessing Maman will pay for it), and time consuming. Logically it’s not worth taking it for bragging rights but stupid Elle is so hard headed she can’t see that.

And she’s still not doing anything to be eligible to take the WA bar. She refuses to admit her degree doesn’t mean tit in the US and doesn’t want to bother applying to law school or apprentice under a lawyer.
I’m guessing it’s a lie for her viewers to keep up the girlboss facade.

It’s not like she can exactly go around telling everyone: “My name is Eleanor Florence Lecocq and I have been unemployed for over a year because I tried to marry a man I barely knew whom I had nothing in common with and failed. I live off my mother and scam naive young women and deluded older Karens online by selling them aliexpress goods at an exorbitant markup. I troll dating apps and go through men like there’s no tomorrow because I am a desperate gold digger that really wants to live and shop designer off a man’s dime. I scam my buyers, Seattle locals, and misrepresent every other fact in my life to look better than I really am such as pretending to be a practicing lawyer/in-house counsel when I’ve never done such a thing. My fake face, curtesy of my surgeon (although I’ll never admit to it), with the clown make up and too tight clothing all shows how desperate I am but I pretend to be a classy gal.”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Which is why I don’t understand why Elle wants to take the Washington bar exam if she isn’t going to practice law here.
I don't think she wants to or ever will. She just says that because its part of her PR cover story for why she's suddenly Miss Washington State.

What she wants is another Joe to foot the bill for her lifestyle. Don't need to take bar exam for that.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Also maybe it's different in Europe but here, the backpacks are mostly carried by Gen Z VSCO girls and boys. My partner got me one years ago when they were only popular in Scandinavia but so far, at least here, I've only seen under 20s carry them and myself occasionally. And instagram. :ROFLMAO:
its defo different in Europe,I have seen from 12-60 year olds with them
I had one as a school bag growing up. :D Very non-trendy at the time, more like Eastpak or similar. They are practical (extremely lightweight and even the regular size fits a lot, but when empty they don't look or feel bulky) so I understand why they became so popular.

I just want to point out that Elle’s entire undergraduate law degree plus her university of Toronto masters was the length of a normal undergraduate degree here in Canada/US (four years). All the lawyers I know did four years of undergrad plus three years of law school before being called to the bar. She also does not have a JD, by far the preferred and usual degree for lawyers here in North America.

She took a super easy way out to become a lawyer by Canadian/American standards. If she was planning to practice in Canada, there is no good reason for her to get a foreign law degree when most employers here prefer undergrad degree + JD but Elle probably went to Durham for cheap because she has EU citizenship through Ginette and four years of schooling in total is of course much easier than 7. For the masters program she went to, she didn’t even have to do the LSAT! She might be a lawyer on technicality but I doubt many actually lawyers here respect the path she took. She is not comparable to those who grew up abroad, did their degree there, came to North America and choose to legitimize their degree here to continue their practice. Those people usually come here with years of relevant experience and it makes sense for them to do whatever kind of law degree was offered in their home country. Elle took a easy way into law school because many people don’t even get in to law school here in Canada/US if they don’t have a good undergraduate GPA plus LSAT score but Elle doesn’t seem to have even done the LSAT. I suspect that Elle wasn’t confident she could get into law school here (if you don’t, then you pretty much did four years of undergrad in whatever subject you studied but you can’t become a lawyer at all) and found a loophole in the European system (straight into law school after high school). Fake and lazy at best. Eleanor Florence is a lazy fraud.
As far as I know she's not qualified to practice law in the UK either. She would have had to complete another three years of study and training to become a solicitor.

I think countries where law or medicine is a post secondary degree, like many European countries, account for that during secondary education and in how the complete path to qualifications is designed. In North America it is assumed that students complete a further three to four years of post secondary study before going on to medical or law school, so high school curriculums are designed differently, as is post law school training.

The way Elle chose requires students to figure out what they may have missed and fill those gaps themselves. From her law school video it seemed like she wasn't even aware she'd have to take exams when returning to Canada, so I don't know how much effort she went to.

I don't think she wants to or ever will. She just says that because its part of her PR cover story for why she's suddenly Miss Washington State.
I suppose it depends on how stubborn she is. Some people seem to love proving others wrong.

She's definitely addicted to buying luxury goods. She's hoping they will give her the 'good life' but when each luxury purchase doesn't, she just moves on to planning her next.
she could benefit so much from therapy or shopping ban

Reactions: 3
Hahaha! A visitor to the Musée d’Orsay was banned from entering due to her cleavage. The museum has since then apologized. I will not comment on whether they were right or wrong. I’m just saying it proves our point that Elle doesn’t know how to dress for a professional setting.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Good point, but Elle will always prefer to 'seem' to prove others wrong if actually proving them wrong requires too much effort.
When was the last time she tried to prove others wrong? 😂 When she produced receipts showing her pearls were sourced from struggling Seattle sellers? Or when she took a course on jewellery making? Or maybe when she showed her scarf design process? OH WAIT, she never did any of these because her entire business and youtube persona are built on LIES and misrepresentation. All she ever did was dig in her heels and accuse every critic of being 'unkind' 🤣
BTW, imagine her as a divorce lawyer, telling the other side they're 'unkind' because they accused her client of having an affair 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I think having a shopping ban would be good for Elle. It'll be good for her wallet (and her future inheritance). It'll be good for her channel so she can find some other things to film rather than hauls. It'll be good for her apartment - she has too much clutter already.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.