Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel like i spend so much of my spare time at the moment applying for jobs right now, and I'm getting nowhere. I currently work in admin and my other experience is in retail/hospitality so there is plenty of entry level/min wage type jobs available round here, but i'm having no success! I've been looking into various apprenticeships too but my worry there is, if i cant stand the workplace your stuck until you finish the qualification. Part of me wishes I could of stayed at Uni but financially a masters was not affordable after my undergrad

Reactions: 1
I feel like i spend so much of my spare time at the moment applying for jobs right now, and I'm getting nowhere. I currently work in admin and my other experience is in retail/hospitality so there is plenty of entry level/min wage type jobs available round here, but i'm having no success! I've been looking into various apprenticeships too but my worry there is, if i cant stand the workplace your stuck until you finish the qualification. Part of me wishes I could of stayed at Uni but financially a masters was not affordable after my undergrad
Can you get careers advice from your Uni, i know my Uni offered CV and job application advice for 3 years after graduation, there was also grants for graduates looking to go freelance, its worth looking into,

I’m in the first week of a new job and I absolutely hate it and know that it’s not right for me. I’ve seen another job advertised which I think m would be better suited for me but is it horrible to leave so early? I’m worried that if I don’t apply for the job being advertised I will miss my opportunity. I don’t know what to do.
You don’t have to reply, but why do you hate it? Is it completely new to you?
I was in the same boat in august. I got made redundant in the first lockdown and took the first job I was offered.

You don’t have to reply, but why do you hate it? Is it completely new to you?
I was in the same boat in august. I got made redundant in the first lockdown and took the first job I was offered.
Its just a new role for me with lots of expectations and it’s basically lone working when I’m used to a team, I just think now that I’m in the role it doesn’t quite fit for me. I feel like I’ve been dropped in the deep end and the people aren’t the friendliest so I feel on the outs already and like I’m working against a tide with everything all together.

Cried my whole way home today and scared I’m getting depressed! My job is such a hard and thankless job I cannot wait to get out but fear I won’t find anything!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Cried my whole way home today and scared I’m getting depressed! My job is such a hard and thankless job I cannot wait to get out but fear I won’t find anything!
I feel so sad for you. This was me in my old job. I thought I’d find nothing. Indeed and LinkedIn are really good. I know there’s lots applying for jobs right now but don’t give up!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I don't think I've reached the point ot hating my job yet, but last weekend was certainly challenging. I am much older than most of the people that work there, and there are a few of the girls I really don't get on with. I don't really know why, but the generation gap is certainly a factor. I am also quite a reserved person, and can barely make idle chit-chat with most of the other employees.
There are other issues, like the management comunicating by email, instead of face to face. Its a flipping care home, not an office!
I have just realised my last sentence is rather misleading. Management and senior staff communicate important information like shift changes, via email. The staff are hands on, when it comes to caring for the residents. But I come from an era when people used to communicate via letters and phone calls, and we didn't have to do everything on line - god I miss those times.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
I’ve recently returned to my job after almost 3 months off due to a bereavement. I had a very tough year trying to balance work with looking after my dad who had dementia and then Covid before he passed away. I work from home in an IT project role and this has been my first week back. Although my organisation is understanding and I get all the right messaging from above about “taking it easy” etc I feel the expectations and the workload have ramped straight back up to where they were before and I already feel so stressed and anxious. I’ve never loved what I do and tried unsuccessfully to change career in the past. But now I’m struggling with all kinds of thoughts - pain and loss and guilt in my personal life, plus I’m questioning WTF am I doing with my life, struggling in a job I don’t care about. And on the other hand I know I’m lucky to have a job in the current climate. I don’t know if I have the energy to start looking for a new career but feel I want to take a step away from being “in my head” all day and do something more worthwhile. I’ve had a week of pointless meetings and really want to shout WHO bleeping CARES in every single one. Sitting here at 3am dreading having to switch on my laptop again in a few hours...

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I can’t stand the lack of communication in my job at the moment, things changing last minute and no one telling me, not being given the information I need to do my job properly. I try and stay ahead of things and plan but then they move the goalposts last minute and expect me to just adapt and work around it. Have barely had any contact from my supervisor since December. Started looking for jobs at the weekend and there’s just nothing! So bleak! I just find myself getting more and more angry every day with the lack of management and support.

Reactions: 7
It makes me sad to think that when I'm old I'll look back on my life and all I'll remember is being permanently exhausted from working 40+ hours a week in a job with little to no thanks where I'm made to feel like I can't do anything right daily 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 14
It makes me sad to think that when I'm old I'll look back on my life and all I'll remember is being permanently exhausted from working 40+ hours a week in a job with little to no thanks where I'm made to feel like I can't do anything right daily 😞
Yeah I feel that too.

I'm also permanently stuck in the vicious circle of thinking: "I should stop moaning and be grateful for having a job and being alive, I could be dead tomorrow" then immediately after "damn, if I could be dead tomorrow then wtf am I doing living my life this way" 🙄

Reactions: 15
I’m in the first week of a new job and I absolutely hate it and know that it’s not right for me. I’ve seen another job advertised which I think m would be better suited for me but is it horrible to leave so early? I’m worried that if I don’t apply for the job being advertised I will miss my opportunity. I don’t know what to do.
Ah the other job has been re-advertised again I didn’t apply for it originally and it closed but now it’s out again I’m considering applying again😭 I’ve only been at my current hospital for 2 weeks and it will be really awful and awkward and leaving them right in the lurch if I leave but I just don’t know what to do! I can’t imagine how awkward it would be to leave so soon.

Ah the other job has been re-advertised again I didn’t apply for it originally and it closed but now it’s out again I’m considering applying again😭 I’ve only been at my current hospital for 2 weeks and it will be really awful and awkward and leaving them right in the lurch if I leave but I just don’t know what to do! I can’t imagine how awkward it would be to leave so soon.
Don’t worry about that! It’s your life to do as you wish. Applying won’t harm anyone. Go for it.

Really thinking about casting my net wide now. Had a catch-up with my manager and he hasn’t a clue. He only cares about his higher-ups. He’s never available, doesn’t respond to emails etc and always blames being in a call with senior, senior management 🙄 My skills seem wasted in this team. I have such bad experience with certain male managers who like to play mind games. He accused me of a trait before that I do have but haven’t demonstrated and would be the first to admit I have it (not to be mysterious, it isn’t an all out negative and is pretty useful to my role as it happens) and when I asked for an example he had 0. So I feel like he’s stringing me along. Very frustrating as I’m not getting any younger. Fed up of coming up against these types but really can’t face a job hunt. End rant.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I HATE my job. I literally feel the anger rising when I arrive and I spend the whole time depressed. It was ok at the beginning but bad management and all new staff being absolute twunts just added to it. I need a career change ASAP but covid....the only redeeming feature is the fact its about 6 minutes away from home.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Just go for it! You have nothing to lose and your current company will get over it xx

I moved end of last year I’m soooo bored in my current job. I wanna do teaching so badly and at the minute I cannot stop thinking about it but I don’t think I could afford it with two kids and mortgage

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.