Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm having an awful day today. Can't concentrate. Feel anxious and I feel like I can't do anything right!!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
As much as i dislike my job i'm worried i'm about to loose my job, as my manager is leaving shortly and the position has just gone out to advert. It includes no mention of any line management responsibility or anyone else within the team (its currently just a two person team). I've been here under 2 years so i take it they can get rid of me easily.

Reactions: 1
I worked for Social Services for 10 years before finally deciding that the workload was too stressful and it was a thankless job. I recently went back to uni to study for a science degree so I can be a researcher. Life is too short to be in a job you dislike, its unsettling taking a leap into the unknown but worth it if it makes you happy :)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I had a job that was so horrible and stressful that it actually changed me as a person. I was hired externally to manage a department including an employee who had applied internally for the role I was given. Top management said they'd hired externally because of the dysfunction in the department, and this employee would just perpetuate it. Folks if ever you hear that in a recruitment process.......run and don't ever look back. When I say this person made my life a living hell I am being polite - the bullying was relentless and his favourite thing was to corner me when no-one else was around to have a go at me. He was snide and manipulative and slowly but surely poisoned a lot of the department against me and I would cry in the carpark every morning knowing I had to go inside. Whenever I brought it up with my manager it was dismissed as this guy just having sour grapes about me getting the job over him.

Eventually he made a complaint against me, not that I was bullying him or anything like that but that I was incompetent as a manager (i.e. he would have done the job better if they'd given it to him). Top brass 'investigated' and found it to be baseless but for me it was the push I needed to resign. Naturally he got my job the moment I left and I don't know any more than that as I've avoided the place and everyone in it since. It took me a few years to recover from it and even now I don't think I'll ever be the same. Am now in a fab job with great colleagues, great benefits and a nice relaxed atmosphere. Happy Friday to us all and I hope those of you who hate your jobs find a way to get out soon x

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I’m in the first week of a new job and I absolutely hate it and know that it’s not right for me. I’ve seen another job advertised which I think m would be better suited for me but is it horrible to leave so early? I’m worried that if I don’t apply for the job being advertised I will miss my opportunity. I don’t know what to do.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I’m in the first week of a new job and I absolutely hate it and know that it’s not right for me. I’ve seen another job advertised which I think m would be better suited for me but is it horrible to leave so early? I’m worried that if I don’t apply for the job being advertised I will miss my opportunity. I don’t know what to do.
Apply apply! Follow your gut

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Biggest issue at the moment is that I seem to be doing the work of 3 people. I don’t mind it and it’s manageable (I like to be kept busy and even on this workload, I’ve got plenty of freetime)
Sorry to be the one to ask...but when you say doing the workload of 3 people but find it manageable and have free time? Was it because there used to be two extra people in the team? If so then it shows really good time management from you and I'd use this as an example in your next appraisal - You might even wangle a payrise!

Reactions: 2
Go for it, you don't owe them anything. I worked somewhere in the past where someone started a job went on their lunch break on the first day and never came back! Your guy feeling is usually right. Good luck!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Go for it, you don't owe them anything. I worked somewhere in the past where someone started a job went on their lunch break on the first day and never came back! Your guy feeling is usually right. Good luck!
You can say you were mis sold the job. Defo apply. I don't like my job at all. But don't feel like I have many options at the minute

Sorry to be the one to ask...but when you say doing the workload of 3 people but find it manageable and have free time? Was it because there used to be two extra people in the team? If so then it shows really good time management from you and I'd use this as an example in your next appraisal - You might even wangle a payrise!
Unfortunately not, I’ve just got lazy colleagues. I’m purposely trying to be vague, but we are kind of like consultants who write reports, and in the past year, it has admittedly been very quiet but has started to pick up the past 2 or so months. However, even if you write a report every day, they generally don’t take more than 3/4 hours to do, so half a work day per report (and prior to the pandemic, we were expected to do 2 a day with one day catch-up). My issue is more that I am currently writing 4/5 reports a week, whereas another member of staff will only write 2, and management allow it, despite the complaints. The workload still isn’t high, but the allocation of work is unfair and it’s creating a lot of tension in our team of 14 where some of us are doing more than others and we’re in this endless cycle of if we don’t do it, no one else will, but no one else will because we always end up doing it. I hope that makes sense!

Time management has always been a strong skill set of mine! I worked two jobs and volunteered whilst at Uni and that was invaluable in developing my skills. I just got used to getting things done ASAP instead of procrastinating and then panicking because it’s been left to the last minute.

Unfortunately, because the job is a public service job, pay rises are not up to my management, and we cannot ask for them. I feel like if we were getting paid more, I wouldn’t complain as much.

I was okay with my job until recently. A lot of decent staff have left and I’ve tried to subtly find out why but not getting a proper answer (mostly been WFH since I joined). I don’t know if it was just their time to move on or if there’s an undercurrent, but leaning towards the latter now.

My line manager left and my boss is the one above him now but he’s always busy 🙄 loves a meeting. I feel like there’s no support or direction. This was the reason I left my old job and feel disappointed it seems to be happening again because of poor management. They’re always too busy to be dealing with trivial things like their employees.

He keeps asking me for stuff - even asked someone in another team to assist me because “I’d done it wrong” (the guy replied with the whole email thread) but it wasn’t even my work it was my manager who’d left and I was trying to fix it 😐 He hasn’t responded to an email regarding my role because he’s so busy but clicks his fingers for everything else. My job is technical but I’m basically doing admin for everyone and getting cheesed off.

• Sad
I haven’t disliked my job until recently too. I have started getting the Sunday night dread which I haven’t had for years! I am dreading going back to the office after lockdown ends, as I feel like my company will make everyone go back Monday - Friday. My boss is lovely but useless, I dread being in annual leave because there’s no one to cover me so things just get put back or delayed until I’m back. I feel like I’m at a cross roads, I either stay here and progress when my heart isn’t in it, or move but I don’t want to just jump ship because I’m not happy and end up being unhappy/bored in another couple of years.

• Sad
Hurts my heart to see so many people who are unhappy in their jobs. Hoping we all manage to get out soon. I regret leaving my old job so much but hey at least I took a risk! Going to job search properly tomorrow evening! Hope everyone is ok x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Apply! I went through this a couple years ago, got a job, pay was amazing but I knew on the first day it wasn’t for me and started applying for new jobs ASAP. Got an interview on the Friday and landed a new job there and then! I thought the new company would judge me and see me as unreliable that I was looking for somewhere new after a week, but it wasn’t the case at all! The hiring manager said she’d been in that position before as well.

Handed in my resignation the following Monday, bit awkward but I’d rather that than stay in a job I knew I’d hate.

• Heart
I used to work as a receptionist and then retrained as a nurse. Freaking love my job. Night shifts on the children’s and nicu wards? Love it. It’s busy and I get stuck in!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Apply! I went through this a couple years ago, got a job, pay was amazing but I knew on the first day it wasn’t for me and started applying for new jobs ASAP. Got an interview on the Friday and landed a new job there and then! I thought the new company would judge me and see me as unreliable that I was looking for somewhere new after a week, but it wasn’t the case at all! The hiring manager said she’d been in that position before as well.

Handed in my resignation the following Monday, bit awkward but I’d rather that than stay in a job I knew I’d hate.
This is my worry - that which ever job I apply for now will look down on the fact I haven’t been in my current job for long. Don’t want them to think I’m jumping from job to job.

Yes! I’ve been at the company 2 years and in this post 1 year. It’s antiquated - paper files. The people I work with begrudge investing in a suitable data management system and any new suggestions on how to improve the service. The line manager has said sometimes we just have to expect to put in extra hours (nope, I’m an admin not a head of service, I’ll put in the hours I’m contracted to do and if I can’t do all the tasks in that time well we’ll just have to negotiate some overtime or toil) and isn’t prepared to invest in me or develop my career as I am part time. Maybe if you did invest in me and use my existing skills I’d be able to implement a more time effective solution to what we’re currently using (logging one document in 4 separate places?!) and none of us would be expected to put in additional time.

• Wow
Reactions: 4

Ah I didn’t apply, I’m going to give it a little bit longer than a week and if I still can tell that it’s not for me I’m going to start looking again. So difficult making decisions.

glad you had such a positive experience.

i think the longer you stay at the job, the more difficult it is to quit. sounds funny but if you quit within the first couple of weeks, pretty soon no one there will remember you. 💁‍♀️ and when you're applying for another job, i don't think anyone would think you're just jumping between jobs if it's just one occurrence. you can explain why and tell them how important it is for you to feel good at the workplace - this should be completely normal. i know this is all easy to say, coming from someone who's been stuck at a job they hate for over a year 🤦‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.