Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a job I loved but I left at the end of mat leave but somebody contacted me who used to work there and went somewhere else and said it would be much better for me. I knew on day 1 it was a mistake. The company was awful. System was tit and office was freezing. I hated it. Cried all the time. I stayed a year and then went to where I am now. I’ve worked in my current job for 3 years and whilst I love what I do and am really good at it if I do say so myself, a management position came up a while ago and I was put off applying for it because it was around the same time I’d applied for flexible working (wfh a couple of times a week) they’d already decided who was getting it and it was this guy who has much less experience then me and doesn’t know what he’s doing. 6 months later we were all wfh full time anyway. That was kick in the teeth number 1.
I now consistently get called from my manager (guy I just mentioned) asking how to do things, amongst the rest of the team who have no clue what they’re doing. I’m often called in to help when stuff has gone wrong and train the team, I work very long hours to manage all my own work, and I’m the girl everybody wants to work with because I get tit done - so I feel soooo unappreciated and under valued.
I like the company, I like my job, but I’ve been doing it a long time and I want more and I don’t know how to get it. I’m scared to leave as I don’t want to end up somewhere crappy again and hate it, but I’m not feeling that happy at work atm, although of course grateful to have a job in these circumstances.
The one piece of advice I will give you is to ask for a sit down with HR and tell them what is going on. Stress that you dont mind helping but you feel you are doing the managers job and training people on top of your actual job role. Request a pay rise and/or promotion. If they cannot do that then say you feel you should only do the job you were employed for.
If you are that valuable to them then I can see at the very least a pay rise to reflect it. Do not be scared to ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The one piece of advice I will give you is to ask for a sit down with HR and tell them what is going on. Stress that you dont mind helping but you feel you are doing the managers job and training people on top of your actual job role. Request a pay rise and/or promotion. If they cannot do that then say you feel you should only do the job you were employed for.
If you are that valuable to them then I can see at the very least a pay rise to reflect it. Do not be scared to ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.
Thank you! I deffo will. I don’t know why Ive always felt nervous when it comes to talking about money, it’s not like I go there for free!!

Reactions: 2
I don’t hate my job, I hate the people/customers 🙃 the British public are horrid. End of xoxo

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I hate my career, hate my firm and hate where I moved to for work 🤷🏼‍♀️ Triple whammy. The people I work with in my office are nice and that gets me through the day. I am so desperate to leave but there are no jobs atm.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Yes I hate it too. It's always about money and business needs and treating employees like tit in the way... It's no way to treat your staff like this

Had a really bad couple days cried the whole way to and from work yesterday and today it really is awful. Hope I can find something else soon but doubt it. Hope everyone is ok xx

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Had a really bad couple days cried the whole way to and from work yesterday and today it really is awful. Hope I can find something else soon but doubt it. Hope everyone is ok xx
Had a pretty shite day too, doing anything in this job just feel so pointless as it never turns out as it should ugh

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Yep. Had an awful day today. I don't know whether to stick it out or look for something new...

Reactions: 4
I'm in entry level job after Uni and I've never massively liked it (been here almost 15 months) but I've been applying for a few jobs each month since last March and always get rejections. It's made easier by working from home and not having the commute but i dread going back into office.

Reactions: 3
I'm in entry level job after Uni and I've never massively liked it (been here almost 15 months) but I've been applying for a few jobs each month since last March and always get rejections. It's made easier by working from home and not having the commute but i dread going back into office.
Yeah but I also don't want to be that person that keeps moaning how much they hate their job and never do anything about it...

Reactions: 4
I've done more jobs I hated than I can count. I've finally bitten the bullet and gone freelance which I wouldn't have done without Covid. I figured I had nothing to lose. I had a potential client lined up and I had to have a zoom interview. That went well - they then sent me an hour's worth of online testing. I always get nervous with things like that but apparently I did well. I then was asked for a third telephone interview. Again, that went really well. I have years of experience in this very specific field that not many will have. They couldn't decide between me and another candidate so they asked if I would do one more telephone interview. Now, in my experience, once you've jumped through all of these hoops, I don't think it's fair to keep putting candidates through more interviews. I had a final phone interview with a man who summoned all the enthusiasm of a damp and mouldy towel and thought it was appropriate to ask questions like 'why do you want this job?' and 'can you tell me about your background' on the third round of interviews. Cut to the chase - I did not get the job. I got a nice email saying it was a tough decision and if they could please keep my details for any future roles.

Was I petty for deleteing the email and not replying? I feel like I've reached a stage in my life where I don't want to be doing back flips off a high bar for jobs anymore. I think some employers go too far and it's a red flag. I wasn't impressed with them in the end so it seems pointless although it was a fairly good opportunity.

Reactions: 3
I absolutely despise my job. I been there for a few years now and the stress is something else. Frequent 8am calls and 11pm calls as we have colleagues on the other side of the world. No paid overtime. Been told to take annual leave multiple times in the pandemic total of 12 days now when we only get 25 a year. The stress of my job has led to me getting a variety of migraines that happen every day and no cure. Just tablets from the doctor that I take before bed but still early days and no real results yet :( I think about when I resign and all the things management need to hear.
Cannot leave my job yet because of my own financial commitments (mortgage. Credit card debit and car loan) once my CC debt is gone hopefully by September then I will be looking for a job that pays less and less stress.
cannot describe how many times I’ve cried because of this job. Or the times I faked being sick because my mental health was in pieces and I couldn’t get out of bed let alone work.
Look forward to the day I can come back to this post and say I am happy in my job

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I used to hate my job in the NHS - admin. I always wanted to work for the NHS so was so happy when I got a job after I graduated. I didn’t enter on a grad scheme, just applied for Band 3/4 roles. I enjoyed the work but the people were horrible, some of the worse people I’ve ever met. One of my ‘managers’ (I use that term loosely as she couldn’t manage to run a bath let alone her staff) left me with no work so was sat twiddling my thumbs most days. Other colleagues had worked there since the Stone Age and hated anyone new coming in. It all resulted in me having a nervous breakdown and taking time off sick... for which I didn’t get paid SSP as my manager didn’t register me as sick! It was all a total nightmare. I ended up handing my notice in and being unemployed for months for the sake of my mental health.

I’m in a much better position now where I’m doing a PhD in medical sociology and actually working towards a career that I want in research.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Nice to see a thread that I can (unfortunately) relate to. 7 managers in 3.5 years, workplace bullying towards myself and another younger member of staff, only made worse by the pandemic. Not allowed to work from home despite being vulnerable because “you’re young, you’ll be fine!” :rolleyes: Biggest issue at the moment is that I seem to be doing the work of 3 people. I don’t mind it and it’s manageable (I like to be kept busy and even on this workload, I’ve got plenty of freetime) but it feels like whenever I ask for help, people are no where to be found, but when they need help, “teamwork makes the dream work”. I’m just utterly depressed there.

Desperately want a career change but honestly not sure what in. I’ve considered nursing for years, my aim in life was always to help people which I don’t feel I’m achieving in my current role, but I’d have to take a massive pay cut for 5+ years to do the training and I don’t think I’m in a position to do that. I’ve looked at HR too, but keep getting rejected. In all honesty, I don’t know what I’m passionate about anymore.

Nice to see a thread that I can (unfortunately) relate to. 7 managers in 3.5 years, workplace bullying towards myself and another younger member of staff, only made worse by the pandemic. Not allowed to work from home despite being vulnerable because “you’re young, you’ll be fine!” :rolleyes: Biggest issue at the moment is that I seem to be doing the work of 3 people. I don’t mind it and it’s manageable (I like to be kept busy and even on this workload, I’ve got plenty of freetime) but it feels like whenever I ask for help, people are no where to be found, but when they need help, “teamwork makes the dream work”. I’m just utterly depressed there.

Desperately want a career change but honestly not sure what in. I’ve considered nursing for years, my aim in life was always to help people which I don’t feel I’m achieving in my current role, but I’d have to take a massive pay cut for 5+ years to do the training and I don’t think I’m in a position to do that. I’ve looked at HR too, but keep getting rejected. In all honesty, I don’t know what I’m passionate about anymore.
I’m in HR and while it’s stressful, I enjoy it for the most part. It can be hard to get into at first, hence the rejection I believe is what you mean? If you make contact with some agencies, they are more likely to be able to place you somewhere than applying directly yourself. If you have any sort of admin experience, it can help you possibly get into a HR admin role where you can work your way up through the ranks if you find it’s an area you enjoy 😊

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.