Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I left my job in November after being furloughed and then off sick with depression. It made me so ill and was just a standard retail supervisor job but I hated it I cried all the time and hated the bitchiness. I’m currently running an Etsy shop which I hope to do quite well with and have enough money to cover my side of the bills. I’ve lost a lot of confidence and the thought of working with horrible people again scares me. My Etsy is doing ok for now though but I think I’ve only been lucky cos I’ve had the hours to put into it with not working. Sorry to hear everyone else has felt so miserable I always thought it was just me 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I bleeping hate my job, you are not alone. Thankfully I’m not working at the moment and due a baby in spring and I’m sooooo happy I don’t have to go back. Looking at a career change when I eventually do go back to work, god knows what it’ll be in! I’m not even arsed at the moment!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I know from experience that it's probably more to do with the fact the people you work with are toxic. I've had a really tit job at amazon when I was younger but absolutely loved it because the people I worked with were a great. Then I moved on to a proper job and hated it because the boss and everybody working there were assholes.
Unfortunately you can't tell what people will be like until you start working there.
Like other people said start applying for anything and everything that you might find intersting.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Yes 😭 I hate this job and I get so much anxiety over it when I’m not working and I spend some days just crying with frustration and anger (I WFH)

I work long hours, my colleagues can’t do their jobs properly and we are under resourced and been put on part furlough with no lowered expectations of what work can be done, plus my manager is not that good at being a manager.
It was great at first but then staff absences and the company growing meant I started taking on more and more work/responsibility

I think it is the type of role I work in as I did a similar role for years before at another company and felt exactly the same.
I still have that ‘I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up’ feeling (even though I am more than grown up 😂) so never really had ambition to do something I love 😫

I hope to buy a house this year and then maybe think about having children soon after so not really in a position to leave (plus the covid situation)

Sorry that wasn’t really any advice but just know you are not alone and I definitely feel you!

Reactions: 8
I hate my job. I cry all the way to work with sheer anxiety of what the day will bring. I get there and act like everything is ok. I then drive home crying from the tit thrown at me during the day. Then get home and act like everything is rosy. It's exhausting. I'm not qualified to do anything else though. I feel trapped. I constantly worry about work and when I have nothing to worry about, I worry that I've forgotten something important that I should be worrying about. I work 12 hour days but am thankful for my half hour commute each way to cry where no one can see.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I can relate to so many of you on this thread.. I dispise my job, not the actual work as its quite rewarding albeit mentally draining but because the company, managers and staff are unbearable.

I can work 60+ hours a week it's tiring as other staff just turn up for the pay and do no work and leave it for the conscientious staff.. they take the piss! When I do get time off its constant emails from managers to our private email account about work and phone calls to ask for last minute cover. You literally can't switch off and not ever think about work.
The back biting and bitchyness(if that's a word!) between staff is off the scale. I would tell them to shove their job in a heartbeat if it wasn't for financial pressures.

Reactions: 4
I’m not the biggest fan of my job, since having a new manager there is a sense of “boys club” unless you are in the “clique” you don’t fit in with the new manager. I just go to work and switch off and disassociate with the toxic people there.

Reactions: 7
Does anyone else get an urge on a daily basis to just yell “I bleeping QUIT” and leave their job and just live on benefits or something. Honestly I feel like my life would be so much less stressful! Every time I get some sarcastic email or someone asking why I haven’t done something that I blatantly have I want to scream. It’s not big things put it’s just the constant nit picking I can’t deal with.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Does anyone else get an urge on a daily basis to just yell “I bleeping QUIT” and leave their job and just live on benefits or something. Honestly I feel like my life would be so much less stressful! Every time I get some sarcastic email or someone asking why I haven’t done something that I blatantly have I want to scream. It’s not big things put it’s just the constant nit picking I can’t deal with.
Yep! I cope better when bigger things go wrong and I can involve someone senior, acknowledge my f*ck up, and then it takes the weight off me for a bit. It's the smaller things where I feel I should be able to deal with, that really set me off.

I've planned my exit strategy and have already decided if I really cannot cope any longer I will just quit and live a simple life for a bit. But it would be my last resort as I really need my salary 😭 The plan still gives me comfort though haha

Reactions: 2
Yep! I cope better when bigger things go wrong and I can involve someone senior, acknowledge my f*ck up, and then it takes the weight off me for a bit. It's the smaller things where I feel I should be able to deal with, that really set me off.

I've planned my exit strategy and have already decided if I really cannot cope any longer I will just quit and live a simple life for a bit. But it would be my last resort as I really need my salary 😭 The plan still gives me comfort though haha
I wish my partner made better money and could support me to go down to part time or even quite altogether and get a less stressful job! I find myself resenting him sometimes which is so bad - I just feel trapped in this position.

Nothing I do is good enough. I’ll bust a gut to sort something out, the minute I’m asked to do something I do it, I’m a hard worker and conscientious - I’ll be in tears over trying to get something finished in time and make sure it’s perfect... only to have it completely ignored or they will just focus on the one tiny thing I didn’t do. The reason I didn’t do it is because you asked me to do XYZ by tomorrow and I didn’t have time? I honestly believe they must think I can be everywhere at once sometimes! I don’t feel respected at all, I get people from outside my role telling me what my role is, telling me what I should be doing and basically meddling in my job. Sorry for the rant I’m just tired 😔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I wish my partner made better money and could support me to go down to part time or even quite altogether and get a less stressful job! I find myself resenting him sometimes which is so bad - I just feel trapped in this position.

Nothing I do is good enough. I’ll bust a gut to sort something out, the minute I’m asked to do something I do it, I’m a hard worker and conscientious - I’ll be in tears over trying to get something finished in time and make sure it’s perfect... only to have it completely ignored or they will just focus on the one tiny thing I didn’t do. The reason I didn’t do it is because you asked me to do XYZ by tomorrow and I didn’t have time? I honestly believe they must think I can be everywhere at once sometimes! I don’t feel respected at all, I get people from outside my role telling me what my role is, telling me what I should be doing and basically meddling in my job. Sorry for the rant I’m just tired 😔
Sorry you feel like that. It seems like it is the people who you work with who are the problem. Could you apply for jobs in other companies?

If it is really having an impact on your mental health then speak to your husband. Do you have savings you can live off for a few months - you could quit and have a break then apply for other jobs? Or really tighten up your finances now, save up for a bit then quit?

Sorry you feel like that. It seems like it is the people who you work with who are the problem. Could you apply for jobs in other companies?

If it is really having an impact on your mental health then speak to your husband. Do you have savings you can live off for a few months - you could quit and have a break then apply for other jobs? Or really tighten up your finances now, save up for a bit then quit?
I’m always on the look out for other jobs but then scare myself out of it thinking what if a new place is even worse! My job never used to be this bad, a lot of it is due to covid and all the changes that have happened. Unfortunately we are saving for a house so I’d have to give up those savings that have taken me years to accumulate- I could probably do 2/3 months but then I’d need to be working again. I make decent money and I feel like that’s just what a well paid job must be like - constant stress 😂

• Heart
I used to HATE my job with a passion. I ended up in counselling because I was so unhappy. I was lucky enough to start a new job last January so got out at the right time (before covid) and although my job is a lot harder, it’s actually enjoyable. I feel valued and it’s rewarding.
Being in a job you hate affects your personal life as well as professional.
I hope you manage to find something else that you really enjoy.

• Heart
my job is also making me miserable, it's like having a panic attack all the time :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I left an old job because I had been there years and was bored. Got a new job in the same industry and after the first day knew I had made a massive mistake. I used to cry every Sunday night at the thought of having to go in. In the end I worked out the minimum I need to pay my bills and a tiny bit extra and literally applied for every job with that salary going. I also kept in touch with some managers from my old work just to see if anything came up (not my old role as that had been filled). Eventually my old manager took me back on for a project he was working on and I am still there now years later in another role! It’s defo worth getting in contact with any old contacts at your previous job and asking them to bare you in mind for anything that may come up x

• Heart
I can relate to so many of you on this thread.. I dispise my job, not the actual work as its quite rewarding albeit mentally draining but because the company, managers and staff are unbearable.

I can work 60+ hours a week it's tiring as other staff just turn up for the pay and do no work and leave it for the conscientious staff.. they take the piss! When I do get time off its constant emails from managers to our private email account about work and phone calls to ask for last minute cover. You literally can't switch off and not ever think about work.
The back biting and bitchyness(if that's a word!) between staff is off the scale. I would tell them to shove their job in a heartbeat if it wasn't for financial pressures.
Wow are you sure you don’t work at my workB sounds like I have just written this myself! I feel your pain babe xx

• Heart
I had a job I loved but I left at the end of mat leave but somebody contacted me who used to work there and went somewhere else and said it would be much better for me. I knew on day 1 it was a mistake. The company was awful. System was tit and office was freezing. I hated it. Cried all the time. I stayed a year and then went to where I am now. I’ve worked in my current job for 3 years and whilst I love what I do and am really good at it if I do say so myself, a management position came up a while ago and I was put off applying for it because it was around the same time I’d applied for flexible working (wfh a couple of times a week) they’d already decided who was getting it and it was this guy who has much less experience then me and doesn’t know what he’s doing. 6 months later we were all wfh full time anyway. That was kick in the teeth number 1.
I now consistently get called from my manager (guy I just mentioned) asking how to do things, amongst the rest of the team who have no clue what they’re doing. I’m often called in to help when stuff has gone wrong and train the team, I work very long hours to manage all my own work, and I’m the girl everybody wants to work with because I get tit done - so I feel soooo unappreciated and under valued.
I like the company, I like my job, but I’ve been doing it a long time and I want more and I don’t know how to get it. I’m scared to leave as I don’t want to end up somewhere crappy again and hate it, but I’m not feeling that happy at work atm, although of course grateful to have a job in these circumstances.

I changed careers in 2015 and was constantly unhappy. I always thought it was the company and would jump from job to job in the same field. I do struggle with my mental health anyway but found work stress just made things worse.
Like many people on this thread I'd leave work on Friday already dreading Monday morning. In March last year I got sacked due to my mental health and lived off Universal Credit for a few months, it's hard and you have no spare money what so ever but it gave me a chance to recover mentally.

I'm now working from home in a very basic, low stress role for a huge company that looks after their employees. The salary is no way near what I used to be on and money is tight but I have a lovely team around me and no longer feel the work dread.

I know it's so hard to look elsewhere when you're used to a certain salary but for me, whilst I had a "career" I was miserable. Now I don't really have any career prospects but feel 100 times better.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I would love to but even with just my husbands wage we will get nothing in the way of benefits so I couldn’t afford too , we have a mortgage and a few large loans that we probably have about another 7 years left , we would literally be living a really crappy life with just his wage alone
I grew up with my one parent income support mother , life was grim , I was often hungry . Not saying our situation would that bad but I have 2 jobs and I really like the other one but it’s a cleaning job , in a pub , 2 hours a morning so I can’t just get more hours there , I’d be giving up my main paying one for another MW job that wouldn’t be flexible without it compromising my cleaning job

Whenever I've been in a job that I actually hate, I've always quit eventually. My last job before my current one, I absolutely hated. I was a carer, loved my service users, loved how rewarding it was to help people but the company was absolutely awful. No care for the wellbeing of their staff, 50+ hours a week, driving around 300-400 miles per week, shockingly bad wage. They were running me in to the ground so I left. I enjoy my current role as a medical receptionist and the team I work with but my boss is an absolute prick. He expects to much, we are understaffed, we are sooo busy and he is just constant with his demands! Baring in mind we have 23,000 patients and are in the middle of a bloody pandemic! I've only been here a year but from what I've heard, there is a high staff turnover so I'm hoping he doesn't push me to that point.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.