Designer Items #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi Enablers

Hope we're all well.

Has anyone bought any high end bags recently? What are we thinking on quality these days? I've just received the YSL Le 5 a 7 (which is bloody gorgeous) however I have to return it and exchange it for another as the SAINT LAURENT stamp on the metal buckle isn't quite right. The stamp is faded/not deep enough in the middle of the word LAURENT - as if it's not been pushed down into the metal enough. Net a Porter are sending a replacement but even bloody so. It's a nearly £2k bag and the stamping isn't consistent! It's got me thinking as the Celine Ava I ordered also had a quality issue - the poppers on the shoulder strap were incredibly difficult to pull apart to adjust and I couldn't actually get all 4 of them to push back together again.

These are expensive bags and I'm shocked at such basic quality control failures.
Funnily enough I just bought a YSL bag in store this morning.
I think buying instore probably makes a difference because they get a brand new bag from the back and then you get to inspect it before taking it home.
With online buying it can be a bit of a crap shoot. I often wonder if it’s seconds or returns

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi Enablers

Hope we're all well.

Has anyone bought any high end bags recently? What are we thinking on quality these days? I've just received the YSL Le 5 a 7 (which is bloody gorgeous) however I have to return it and exchange it for another as the SAINT LAURENT stamp on the metal buckle isn't quite right. The stamp is faded/not deep enough in the middle of the word LAURENT - as if it's not been pushed down into the metal enough. Net a Porter are sending a replacement but even bloody so. It's a nearly £2k bag and the stamping isn't consistent! It's got me thinking as the Celine Ava I ordered also had a quality issue - the poppers on the shoulder strap were incredibly difficult to pull apart to adjust and I couldn't actually get all 4 of them to push back together again.

These are expensive bags and I'm shocked at such basic quality control failures.
My most recent is an Hermes GP and honestly so happy with the quality. I’d got a couple of slg from Saint Laurent and the hardware discoloured really easily, so I’ve made a bit of a decision to try and just buy from Hermes moving forward.
The leather on it is stunning and it’s so well finished, plus it’s quite low key which is ideal for me.

• Heart
Funnily enough I just bought a YSL bag in store this morning.
I think buying instore probably makes a difference because they get a brand new bag from the back and then you get to inspect it before taking it home.
With online buying it can be a bit of a crap shoot. I often wonder if it’s seconds or returns
Yes agreed. The YSL has clearly been sent out before as the suede inside had a couple of marks - nothing big but you could see someone has put their hand in there and marked it with a nail or a ring. That’s not a deal breaker for me but the metal stamp not having a consistent depth to it and being faded in the middle is really poor.

What did you go for?

Reactions: 1
Yes agreed. The YSL has clearly been sent out before as the suede inside had a couple of marks - nothing big but you could see someone has put their hand in there and marked it with a nail or a ring. That’s not a deal breaker for me but the metal stamp not having a consistent depth to it and being faded in the middle is really poor.

What did you go for?
I bought this one, medium envelope, I just fell in love with it. In Germany at the moment and it cost £200 less here plus I’ll get my tax back which should be at least another £300. Makes such a difference!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 6
A classic and yes such a difference! I'm not abroad for at least 4 months and I don't want to wait that long so took the hit on ordering it in the UK

Reactions: 2
Hi Enablers

Hope we're all well.

Is the bag nice? I’ve had my eye on this bag, is it a bulky or too big for every day? 🙂 I usually use small crossbody bags but I really like the design of this one!

I want to buy a chalk coloured camera bag for the summer to take out in the evenings on my hols but I'm stuck between Gucci and YSL
Also Aspinal have a lovely one very much cheaper but I will probably go for one of the others just for the name... anyone have Gucci or YSL camera bags ? Any feedback please ?

I want to buy a chalk coloured camera bag for the summer to take out in the evenings on my hols but I'm stuck between Gucci and YSL
Also Aspinal have a lovely one very much cheaper but I will probably go for one of the others just for the name... anyone have Gucci or YSL camera bags ? Any feedback please ?
Aspinal quality is amazing for the price though lol
---
Is it time for the summer basket bag chat yet? :m
Always time. Must take mine out this year! She got neglected last year poor lamb lol
Chloe BV had some beaut ones

Is the bag nice? I’ve had my eye on this bag, is it a bulky or too big for every day? 🙂 I usually use small crossbody bags but I really like the design of this one!
Sorry I missed this. Yes the bag itself is beautiful and I will be keeping it once they send me a replacement. It’s not too big or bulky, perfect for a day around town with the essentials. I love how understated and simple it is whilst still having impact.

• Heart
Has anyone seen the Frasers Plus Price on Flannels? For example the bag I am looking at it is £830 but with FPP it's £589 😮 But I've never done this whole buy now pay later, and I've heard lenders for mortgages etc can sometimes be a bit iffy with these things?

• Wow
Matches is now owned by Mike Ashley. Is the service as shite as all his other companies now?
Not just that but Matches was so well curated with some lovely brands, it’s going to be grim now just ❄❄❄ gremlin wares.

OT - Having a bit of a shocker with a Stutterheim raincoat atm and quality issues, speaking to CS, not really keen to replace as it’s two separate problems on a jacket that isn’t even worn as much as weekly (on average) 🤯 does anyone have a Mackintosh coat? Scared they may give 90s nana vibes IRL.

Reactions: 3
YSL if you're getting the Lou. Gucci if you're getting the Soho or Horsebit. I don't like the Gucci Marmont so I am biased against that particular style. Let us know which one you end up getting!

Question for those in Ireland; are there any trusted pre-loved luxury bag sellers you would recommend based out of Dublin?

Last edited: