Dead Parent Club

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello fellow club members. I lost my mum in 2015. I was 35 and it was a couple of weeks til my 36 th birthday. She had a short battle with cancer and like a poster further up the thread, she had been explicitly told she was going to survive. I believe it was the chemotherapy that sped up the process of her deterioration.
Mum wanted to stop it and my older siblings wouldn't allow her to express and accept her expiration. Toxic positivity meant she was made to feel as though she was quitting when she spoke of stopping chemo. She would cry to me in private saying she knew she was leaving and had accepted it. My older siblings were the ones that couldn't. This situation really hampered my grief. I was so devastatingly angry. I love my siblings but their cowardice ruined what could be have been a calmer and more comfortable few months. Mum was my dad's carer. He was in refractory multiple myeloma having lived with it for about 13 years. Mum didn't have a peaceful end. An incompetent Mc Millan nurse failed to show up to give mum morphine. My beautiful mum spent a treacherous few hours in pain til a friend of the family who is a district nurse risked her licence and obtained morphine from somewhere and administered it herself. I suffered horrendous ptsd from watching the struggle mum had the last few hours.

My dad who was quite simply an example of "Father in Perfection" finally succumbed to the myeloma in 2019.
He was conscious right up to the last few hours. He had requested to pass in the hospice as he saw how exhausting and terrifying it had been for us 7 grown kids when mum was actively dying. Everyone of mums kids were by her side to witness her experience. An experience mum feared her whole life, dying in horrendous discomfort. Dad wanted us not to have to go through anything again that may result in more trauma.
I never left any of their sides, I didn't dare close my eyes incase they slipped away and I wasn't present. Even though mums end wasn't pleasant, I don't regret being there. She was the sacred vessel by which I came into this world. She was like a "TV mum". Perfect. I always knew how lucky I was to have the parents I had. They were the couple everyone envied. Their marriage was solid and they still fancied each other in their twilight years through insidious illness.
I have to say, I do not cry or fret anymore. I am in a place where I feel nothing but gratitude for the wealth I had of their love and guidance. I feel no need to even visit their graves. They aren't there. They live forever in my memory. I dream about them all the time and I never wake up sad as I feel as though I've just saw them.
This is tldr. I guess I'm sharing the wisdom and hope to others in the club that there is a place grief can evolve into and it's not a painful place. I talk about my folks every day. I laugh when I remember the jokes we all shared, the songs we sang, stories at bedtime, cringing when remembering how they would dance randomly in the living room and dad would steal a kiss. Even mums nagging at dad sometimes, it's funny cos she always knew she was no 1 in his world as he was hers.
Griefs timeline is non existent. One must tread their own path for however long it takes and never allow anyone to make you feel as though "it's time to move on". You move in grief at your own pace. It's not a competition.
They are alot to live up to and I feel fortunate I'm literally walking proof that they were here and I strive every day to honour all the things they taught me. I am still realising lessons they gave that I didn't even know were lessons.
To paraphrase Rafiki -"they live in us".
Keep heart fellow club members 🖤

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Hello fellow club members. I lost my mum in 2015. I was 35 and it was a couple of weeks til my 36 th birthday. She had a short battle with cancer and like a poster further up the thread, she had been explicitly told she was going to survive. I believe it was the chemotherapy that sped up the process of her deterioration.
Mum wanted to stop it and my older siblings wouldn't allow her to express and accept her expiration. Toxic positivity meant she was made to feel as though she was quitting when she spoke of stopping chemo. She would cry to me in private saying she knew she was leaving and had accepted it. My older siblings were the ones that couldn't. This situation really hampered my grief. I was so devastatingly angry. I love my siblings but their cowardice ruined what could be have been a calmer and more comfortable few months. Mum was my dad's carer. He was in refractory multiple myeloma having lived with it for about 13 years. Mum didn't have a peaceful end. An incompetent Mc Millan nurse failed to show up to give mum morphine. My beautiful mum spent a treacherous few hours in pain til a friend of the family who is a district nurse risked her licence and obtained morphine from somewhere and administered it herself. I suffered horrendous ptsd from watching the struggle mum had the last few hours.

My dad who was quite simply an example of "Father in Perfection" finally succumbed to the myeloma in 2019.
He was conscious right up to the last few hours. He had requested to pass in the hospice as he saw how exhausting and terrifying it had been for us 7 grown kids when mum was actively dying. Everyone of mums kids were by her side to witness her experience. An experience mum feared her whole life, dying in horrendous discomfort. Dad wanted us not to have to go through anything again that may result in more trauma.
I never left any of their sides, I didn't dare close my eyes incase they slipped away and I wasn't present. Even though mums end wasn't pleasant, I don't regret being there. She was the sacred vessel by which I came into this world. She was like a "TV mum". Perfect. I always knew how lucky I was to have the parents I had. They were the couple everyone envied. Their marriage was solid and they still fancied each other in their twilight years through insidious illness.
I have to say, I do not cry or fret anymore. I am in a place where I feel nothing but gratitude for the wealth I had of their love and guidance. I feel no need to even visit their graves. They aren't there. They live forever in my memory. I dream about them all the time and I never wake up sad as I feel as though I've just saw them.
This is tldr. I guess I'm sharing the wisdom and hope to others in the club that there is a place grief can evolve into and it's not a painful place. I talk about my folks every day. I laugh when I remember the jokes we all shared, the songs we sang, stories at bedtime, cringing when remembering how they would dance randomly in the living room and dad would steal a kiss. Even mums nagging at dad sometimes, it's funny cos she always knew she was no 1 in his world as he was hers.
Griefs timeline is non existent. One must tread their own path for however long it takes and never allow anyone to make you feel as though "it's time to move on". You move in grief at your own pace. It's not a competition.
They are alot to live up to and I feel fortunate I'm literally walking proof that they were here and I strive every day to honour all the things they taught me. I am still realising lessons they gave that I didn't even know were lessons.
To paraphrase Rafiki -"they live in us".
Keep heart fellow club members 🖤
That was so heartbreaking yet beautiful and inspiring to read. Thank you for your words of peace and wisdom, and much love to you. ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 6
That was so heartbreaking yet beautiful and inspiring to read. Thank you for your words of peace and wisdom, and much love to you. ♥
Thank you and much love to you too. I felt it my duty to share the hope that one day it's possible to miss them every second but also feel at peace. It's the one thing we assume we've lost forever when grieving. Our sanctuary has been taken and we fear we will never feel even a smidgen of that safety ever again. I thought the grief would kill me. I knew nothing could give me peace again, not even my own wonderful kids. But I was wrong. There is a place where it's possible to belly laugh again at something that involves vividly recalling when our folks were more than just a memory.
Much love to us all in the club, wherever we happen to be in the journey of being an orphan 🩷🦋🐦🦉🩷

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Nella Rose is getting a lot of judgment for this, but I totally see where she’s coming from! I know Fred didn’t mean anything bad but it was an uncomfortable thing to say to her.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’m in this club. I wish I wasn’t. My mum died in 1998, when I was 17, dad died in 2014, when I was 33.

I am OK. I have children of my own. But there is a sadness there, I think there always will be even though I really am OK.

• Heart
Sometimes when you do click and collect or home delivery they will give you a freebie or sample with a coupon to buy it again. Unpacking my shopping today and they gave me a free bar of the soap my dad always used. Queue me balling like a baby trying to pack up my shopping 😭😭😭

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thinking of my dad this weekend. He loved all things scifi and fantasy, and the sillier the better. He would have been really excited to see the new Doctor Who episode, we probably would have watched it together.

I think he would have also really loved the new colour version of The Daleks. would probably be telling me that he watched it the first time around.

He has his phone ringtone set to the Doctor Who theme music, and every time he got a new phone he always insisted we help him set the ringtone to that.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thinking of my dad this weekend. He loved all things scifi and fantasy, and the sillier the better. He would have been really excited to see the new Doctor Who episode, we probably would have watched it together.

I think he would have also really loved the new colour version of The Daleks. would probably be telling me that he watched it the first time around.

He has his phone ringtone set to the Doctor Who theme music, and every time he got a new phone he always insisted we help him set the ringtone to that.
Love this ❤

This is my favourite way to remember my mam too, I love imagining what she’d have to say about things happening in the world/at home/new books or tv shows that we would watch together. There’s a bit of family drama going on at the moment and I feel like I can just hear her chipping in with her side of the story 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Christmas is hard, isn’t it? I put up my tree and get do so upset, because my Dad would always come round and say how nice it looked.
He kind of made Christmas for us all.
Don’t get me wrong, he didn’t do any of the shopping or cooking 😂.
He just somehow brought the Christmassy spirit into the day. He loved every part of it.
It will never be the same without him ❤

• Heart
I had my work Xmas party on Friday and had a few too many drinks. I sobbed on the way home missing my dad so much.

• Heart
  • Wow
  • Sad
Sending love to you all at this tricky time of year, I hope we all find a little bit of joy in there somewhere
IMG_2445.jpeg
IMG_2444.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Christmas is hard, isn’t it? I put up my tree and get do so upset, because my Dad would always come round and say how nice it looked.
He kind of made Christmas for us all.
Don’t get me wrong, he didn’t do any of the shopping or cooking 😂.
He just somehow brought the Christmassy spirit into the day. He loved every part of it.
It will never be the same without him ❤
My dad loved Xmas. 2009 he was on the roof putting up lights, 10 months later he was gone.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Put up the Christmas tree today. My Mam ALWAYS put the bells on the top of the tree. That was our tradition. She died in August this year and her not being here to hang the bells is breaking my heart. I miss her so so much 💔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
I’ll never forget the first Christmas after my mum died, a family friend of ours phoned up and said she and her daughter had been to a wreath making workshop. I felt so full of envy that they could do that together, and I wished she hadn’t told me!

Reactions: 1
I really struggle with Christmas. I lost my nan on 10th December 2014 then my grandad on 19th December 2014. We had a joint funeral for them on xmas eve. I was really close with my grand parents and probably spent more time with them than my parents when I was younger. Also not having my dad around, Christmas just doesn't feel the same any more. I find myself looking at empty seats around the table, thinking they should be here

• Heart
  • Sad
I’m in this club. Both my parents in 18 months. My mum woke up incredibly unwell one morning last April, the next day we were turning off her life support. 18 months later (to the day) my dad was found dead at home. Both unexpected. Not sure how much longer I can keep going, I feel like I’m drowning.

• Heart
  • Sad
I'm so so sorry that you are all feeling this way, and trying to navigate Christmas. This is my 10th year doing it. My partner left last week, so now I am remembering my mums last Christmas and desperately in need of her support whilst trying to deal with the end of a very long term relationship and worrying whether I'll be able to keep my house.

I will be fine, I learnt from the best. I have my dog and I won't be alone on the 'big day'. Not sure why I'm writing this really.

Sending lots of love and strength to you all xoxox

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’m in this club. Both my parents in 18 months. My mum woke up incredibly unwell one morning last April, the next day we were turning off her life support. 18 months later (to the day) my dad was found dead at home. Both unexpected. Not sure how much longer I can keep going, I feel like I’m drowning.
I’m so sorry this has happened to you. You must feel so disoriented - no time to come to terms with one big loss before another bulldozes your way. What strength you have shown to come this far.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hi I'm in the club. My dad died when I was 2 (suicide) and my mum when I was 11(addiction). I sadly lost my brother as well in 2017 when he was 32 and I was 28 (accidental morphine overdose on a community prescription following serious illness). That one feels the hardest I think, but I get so sad about my mum still. 25 years without her this June, I carry them with me in all that I do and I still feel my mother's love even to this day ❤ I'm sorry we're all in this club, but yet it's nice to connect with others who understand the complexity of it all.

• Heart
This time last year my Dad was very very close to succumbing to liver cancer in a hospice. I naively have thought all year that this Christmas would be more peaceful. But it's strangely flat.... it's just this empty feeling of nothingness now when I think about him, and I keep having nightmares about not being able to help him im some way. Grief is a powerful beast - you think you've dealt with it, and then wham, it knocks you right back off your feet again.

Sending love and compassion to everyone mourning a parent this Christmas 🌷

• Heart
Reactions: 10