Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
I used to love Dawn’s Instagram stories and love her books but lately have just found her a bit meh 🤷‍♀️

Maybe it’s me. Still following her for now.
I think it’s because she’s more into her Patreon page as she makes money from that.

I also think she’s finding it hard to be funny after Caroline Flack’s death and lockdown (because she hasn’t got childcare).

Reactions: 2

Stillwater

VIP Member
It’s where she grew up isn’t it?

I’ve assumed Chris’s family don’t want to be all over SM. Or maybe she’s less ME *jazz hands * around them? The Irish people I know wouldn’t be entertaining it 😄

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
The joanie dresses look so heavy - terrible timing to release them in the summer. I used to like Dawn but then she started spouting that she didn’t want to write for free anymore and people should be supporting her on Patreon 🙄 she lost me then. I’m also not a fan of her carting her pets from LA to London but that’s just me.
If she based the heroine in her new book on herself then I can see why she carts them about as the heroine is obsessed with her cat!

I agree about the patreon. That's when I went off her too.

Patsy Stone

Chatty Member
She still followed Chris though 🤷‍♀️Maybe she unfollowed around the time Dawn posted on twitter about Caroline after the domestic abuse incident?
Yeah I’m sure I read somewhere before (can’t for the life of me find it now) that she seemed to unfollow her after she commented on that incident. Even though it was defending her perhaps she didn’t like that Dawn had commented on it at all

Sooz

Chatty Member
Yeah she answered a comment and said that they'd be back for several months so brought the pets. They were 3 months in Canada I think, so it must be longer in London this time.

Pretty sure they still have the London house? The one there was the endless mouse saga in a couple of years ago?

Not sure how this is all going to work when the kids get older. Maybe they just won't be able to travel like this.

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Out of 390k followers?!
The huge follower numbers we are used to seeing with influencers, celebs etc is all based on a free model. A paid Patreon model is still very new territory. People really don’t like paying for content these days, they haven’t had to for a long time. So I don’t think it’s as straight forward as “I’m aiming to convert 1% of my followers to Patreon”.

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
I wouldn't wear any of those patterns but I do appreciate that someone is putting wide armed kaftans into the world. They do suit a lot of body shapes.

I only read The Cows and kinda hated it, so I'm not in any hurry to pick up more.

That said, I admire her output. And her work ethic. She's basically on a book a year and that's a great turnover by anyone's standards.

She must be absolutely minted. Can't help wondering if she's richer than Chris nowadays.
She certainly doesn’t act like she’s rich, always begging for people to join her Patreon and increasing the prices!

It’s easy to churn out one book a year when they’re so badly written!

LowCalCalzoneZone

VIP Member
Wasn't one of her original reasonings for the patreon was that instagram was taking up too much of her time that she wasn't getting paid for? Which just seemed like a fundamental misunderstanding of what Instagram is - you post interesting, funny content to grow your audience so when you do have something to sell then the numbers are there

Btw, i'm all for patreon and people charging for extra content (as long as they do actually provide something to their subscribers), I just never understood why it meant her posting less on instagram

SeaWitch

Staff edit.
new thread moved over from rave......

Sorry to jump on a rave thread but does anyone remember when a girl she used to go to school with said that Dawn was a bully?
I think I read about it on mumsnet

Last edited by a moderator:

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I think she spends most of her earnings on alcohol! 😜
Can’t blame her! Still, they aren’t short of a few bob so she shouldn’t be begging for another free mattress.
If she does get one for free she should donate it to the refugee charity she goes on about

LowCalCalzoneZone

VIP Member
What do people think of her new clothing range with Joanie Clothing? Prices start from £65. No good for me as Joanie don’t do petite but I’ve noticed a lot of her ‘celeb’ friends have been gifted one!

She was also advertising the fact her new book coming out in Oct ‘Cat Lady’ is available to request on Netgalley, so I got it but as usual she’s just not very good at writing novels. She’s funny on insta but her novels lack her humour even though it’s billed as ‘very funny’ I actually found it depressing! No doubt it will be another No.1 bestseller thanks to the Publishers clever marketing strategy!
I think the styles of the dresses are nice and suit Dawn but some of the prints are a bit cheap looking

I remember reading a short story she'd done once and was surprised how poor the writing was. Sometimes being a good, funny columnist just doesn't translate to writing fiction well I guess. I started reading a novel by Justin Myers who writes the Guyliner blog - v funny, brilliant blog but really dull novel

Swipeupyouguys

VIP Member
I’m not a parent but I hate to think if I ever became one I’ll have to give up all fun. If they aren’t getting out of control I don’t see a problem with drinking and smoking personally.

Yes her family are comfortable, but does that mean she should she work for free? Dawn is a writer, not an instamum influencer shilling us crap with sponsored posts. There clearly is an audience that is willing to pay for her content so I think it’s fair play to her 🤷🏻‍♀️
She's not working for free. She has a book deal. I feel that is being glossed over.
If she didn't that would be a different conversation.

Yes, her family are MORE than comfortable, they are rich. Yes, she should do some work ( insta, blog) largely for free as it will yeald more in the future. Just good pr. It could generate good will amongst her audience who will then buy her books or online magazines that she's in. Pateron seems greedy and grabby. That's not appealing, it's akin ti the restaurant owner keeping all the staff tips for themselves.

I am of the mindset one parent should always be sober, and, sadly i think fun times of a certain kind do stop when you become a parent. That's one of the many sacrifices people make when they become parents, and why they welcome breaks via friends, family or paid for people do the childcare for a night or two. Imagine if one child needed to go to hospital suddenly and they were not in a fit state to talk to the medical staff?! Have seen plenty of intoxicated people in a&e and even their 'sober-ish' mates aren't much help. 😞

Last edited:
I think she said she wasn’t in a place where she could comment - I took that as emotionally? She was also thanked in the credits of the documentary, so must have had some input. There’s mention of it on the Lewis Burton thread!
Christ, I didn't even know there was a thread on him!

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
I think the styles of the dresses are nice and suit Dawn but some of the prints are a bit cheap looking

I remember reading a short story she'd done once and was surprised how poor the writing was. Sometimes being a good, funny columnist just doesn't translate to writing fiction well I guess. I started reading a novel by Justin Myers who writes the Guyliner blog - v funny, brilliant blog but really dull novel
Yes I think the dresses are clearly overpriced.

Of course the heroine in her book discovers Kaftan’s and charity shop clothes! I’ve read most of Dawn’s books (I get them from Netgalley) but her writing has yet to improve. I can’t stand all these ‘celebs’ being given publishing deals when they’re writing isn’t good enough.

Sooz

Chatty Member
I wouldn't wear any of those patterns but I do appreciate that someone is putting wide armed kaftans into the world. They do suit a lot of body shapes.

I only read The Cows and kinda hated it, so I'm not in any hurry to pick up more.

That said, I admire her output. And her work ethic. She's basically on a book a year and that's a great turnover by anyone's standards.

She must be absolutely minted. Can't help wondering if she's richer than Chris nowadays.

Sooz

Chatty Member
And then didn't she just release all her Patreon stuff as a book anyway? Making money twice off the same material.

I always wonder how much she's worth. Must be 5 mill at this point.