Dawn O'Porter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Staff edit.
new thread moved over from rave......

Sorry to jump on a rave thread but does anyone remember when a girl she used to go to school with said that Dawn was a bully?
I think I read about it on mumsnet

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2
Yes I was reading about it recently. Her first book is based on it or something - not Dawn being the bully natch, but the experiences of the person being bullied (at her hand)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1
Yes I was reading about it recently. Her first book is based on it or something - not Dawn being the bully natch, but the experiences of the person being bullied (at her hand).
Oh no, just read the amazon review :cry: did dawn ever acknowledge this?

I read the Amazon review at the time but Dawn has never mentioned it but the person who wrote the review was contacted by Dawn’s Lawyers I think she said?

Dawn looks like she was the popular girl at school, so I can well imagine her doing what was claimed!

Reactions: 3
Although all ‘celeb’ authors do it I really detest the begging for pre orders of their books. Dawn has been doing it quite a lot. It’s all to help their book get the bestseller tag.

Although I got a free copy of her book via Netgalley I actually prefer to wait to buy books nowadays as like to read the reviews first.

Reactions: 1
BTW Dawn has started a Patreon
Hmm.. I won’t be paying to read things she used to write for free on Instagram.

Is she that desperate for money with her publishing deal and her movie star husband with houses in LA and London?

She asked for her followers opinions on it but didn’t seem to care that most weren’t impressed!

Reactions: 4
Hmm.. I won’t be paying to read things she used to write for free on Instagram.

Is she that desperate for money with her publishing deal and her movie star husband with houses in LA and London?

She asked for her followers opinions on it but didn’t seem to care that most weren’t impressed!
I quite like Dawn. She’s a good author and she’s funny. She said her IG would remain the same and this would be deeper, more writing? Just because her husbands a movie star doesn’t mean she shouldn’t push herself as an artist and make her own income surely. She’s not forcing people to pay.

Reactions: 15
I like Dawn but she can duck right off with that Patreon. Of course she's entitled to her own income, but she already must have a very good income from her books and writing career. Not to mention Chris O'Dowd's vast income. How much money do two people need?

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I quite like Dawn. She’s a good author and she’s funny. She said her IG would remain the same and this would be deeper, more writing? Just because her husbands a movie star doesn’t mean she shouldn’t push herself as an artist and make her own income surely. She’s not forcing people to pay.
I like her too but I won’t be paying.

She’s not that good a writer. Probably got the publishing deal due to her husband being a movie star.

Reactions: 6
I like her too but I won’t be paying.

She’s not that good a writer. Probably got the publishing deal due to her husband being a movie star.
I won’t be paying. I very much doubt she got the deal due to being married to a movie star. She doesn’t use his name and a lot of people know her from other things.
She currently only has one book released and it’s quite well written, I’ll be interested to read her new book. I found Giovanna Fletchers books to be hard to read as they really are not my thing, but fair play for putting something of your own out there.

I like Dawn but she can duck right off with that Patreon. Of course she's entitled to her own income, but she already must have a very good income from her books and writing career. Not to mention Chris O'Dowd's vast income. How much money do two people need?
I didn’t say I’d pay, but I can’t see anything wrong with what she’s doing. As I understood it this is part and parcel of her writing career. It’s a bit sexist to suggest she shouldn’t generate her own income but just live off her husband.

Reactions: 7
But she is generating her own income already. And as a married couple I would expect them to share money between them, that's not sexist, that's common sense. It just seems very greedy to me.

I won’t be paying. I very much doubt she got the deal due to being married to a movie star. She doesn’t use his name and a lot of people know her from other things.
She currently only has one book released and it’s quite well written, I’ll be interested to read her new book. I found Giovanna Fletchers books to be hard to read as they really are not my thing, but fair play for putting something of your own out there.

She has at least 4 books out, two teen books, The Cows and her new one.
I have really enjoyed her two adult books but won’t be paying either.

Thanks for that, I’d only come across The Cows, not a fangirl obviously!!

But she is generating her own income already. And as a married couple I would expect them to share money between them, that's not sexist, that's common sense. It just seems very greedy to me.
It does seem a little sexist. I’m sure they ‘share’ things, but who knows what the future holds. It’s greedy for her to make money from her writing because her husband is a movie star seems really outdated and unfair.

Reactions: 10
She has had a publishing deal for ages. I’ve read The Cows and her new book both of which I got for free from Netgalley.

I liked the columns she used to write but she’s not as good at writing books. Then of course trying to get all her followers to pre order it as that helps get the bestseller tag so then they can call themselves bestselling authors but she’s really not that good at writing novels.

She got a lot of feedback from her followers saying they didn’t like the Patreon idea but she’s still gone with it. Last time I looked she had 300 subscribers so not that many considering the amount of followers she has.

She has had a publishing deal for ages. I’ve read The Cows and her new book both of which I got for free from Netgalley.

I liked the columns she used to write but she’s not as good at writing books. Then of course trying to get all her followers to pre order it as that helps get the bestseller tag so then they can call themselves bestselling authors but she’s really not that good at writing novels.

She got a lot of feedback from her followers saying they didn’t like the Patreon idea but she’s still gone with it. Last time I looked she had 300 subscribers so not that many considering the amount of followers she has.
I think 300 subscribers since last night is amazing to be honest. Fair play.

Reactions: 3
The Patreon issue is complex. Ultimately I see it as a antidote to influencer culture. Instead of consuming ‘free’ content where the person is paid by brands to shill products in sponsored content of varying frequency, Patreon offers a model where you can pay the person directly, leaving them with a steady-ish income stream and they can produce content free of commercial pressure.

Reactions: 10
Out of 390k followers?!
The huge follower numbers we are used to seeing with influencers, celebs etc is all based on a free model. A paid Patreon model is still very new territory. People really don’t like paying for content these days, they haven’t had to for a long time. So I don’t think it’s as straight forward as “I’m aiming to convert 1% of my followers to Patreon”.

The Patreon issue is complex. Ultimately I see it as a antidote to influencer culture. Instead of consuming ‘free’ content where the person is paid by brands to shill products in sponsored content of varying frequency, Patreon offers a model where you can pay the person directly, leaving them with a steady-ish income stream and they can produce content free of commercial pressure.
This is how I view it. I’m happy she’s going down this route as it gives us the consumers a choice. As others have said here I won’t be paying for her content but I’m sure others will and at least then she doesn’t have to turn her page into QVC like so many others have. I would hope it could lead to better content for everyone.