Dating after lockdown #12 It’s all got a bit dark

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am due to go on a date and I don’t want to. He’s so nice and although I know we’re not really suited, I thought it would boost my confidence to get back ‘out there’ as well as meet someone completely different, but I just have no enthusiasm at all. I’ve been so busy and feel exhausted so just want to hibernate for a few days and get my life back under control.

why do I feel so awful about it?
You don't owe anybody your time. If you're not wanting to go, that's perfectly acceptable and a valid reason. Just ping him a message saying you're really run down and tired and need to cancel.

Totally agree with @Bloody orange Hell I like a man with initiative

Reactions: 10
I am due to go on a date and I don’t want to. He’s so nice and although I know we’re not really suited, I thought it would boost my confidence to get back ‘out there’ as well as meet someone completely different, but I just have no enthusiasm at all. I’ve been so busy and feel exhausted so just want to hibernate for a few days and get my life back under control.

I’m sure he will understand. For me to go on a date I need to feel excited but my friends would tell me to go give it a shot.

Reactions: 3

Women are conditioned to think we need to please people. And whatever the narrative about needy women is, my experience has been it’s men that are always obsessive earlier (though my theory is this is because in OLD they get less matches so if you’re the only one they’re talking to, they throw all their eggs in) so when we know we’re doing a ‘let’s just see’ date we tie ourselves in knots worrying if we’re being unfair.

agreeing to a date isn’t a contract. If you don’t want to go, don’t go. Your feelings are just as important as his.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Feeling happy and content (but a little meh) versus being excited and head over heels. Which one wins for you?

Reactions: 1
I think there is also something quite interesting in the number of posters in this group who feel a constant pressure (internal, possibly societal) to get back out there and date when they’re clearly not ready, don’t want to etc.

It is OK to be single. You are no less of a person for being single. If you feel lonely there are other options aside from reaching out to the dating apps, particularly if you’re not in the right headspace to filter the good from the bad, or feel resilient enough to deal with the tit heads, ghosters, love bombers etc.

If you’re not feeling a date don’t go. As long as you let someone know in good time I don’t see anything wrong with changing your mind. You don’t owe anyone a long explanation either. If it’s a reasonable individual they’ll accept it and move on. If they kick off it shows you’ve dodged a bullet and says a lot more about them then it does about you.

I was single off and on for a long time and dated for years via websites and apps. I really wanted to meet someone but whenever I didn’t listen to my gut or how I was feeling and pushed on almost in desperation, the men I met were totally unsuitable including two who were unhinged and dangerous.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I think there is also something quite interesting in the number of posters in this group who feel a constant pressure (internal, possibly societal) to get back out there and date when they’re clearly not ready, don’t want to etc.

It is OK to be single. You are no less of a person for being single. If you feel lonely there are other options aside from reaching out to the dating apps, particularly if you’re not in the right headspace to filter the good from the bad, or feel resilient enough to deal with the tit heads, ghosters, love bombers etc.

If you’re not feeling a date don’t go. As long as you let someone know in good time I don’t see anything wrong with changing your mind. You don’t owe anyone a long explanation either. If it’s a reasonable individual they’ll accept it and move on. If they kick off it shows you’ve dodged a bullet and says a lot more about them then it does about you.

I was single off and on for a long time and dated for years via websites and apps. I really wanted to meet someone but whenever I didn’t listen to my gut or how I was feeling and pushed on almost in desperation, the men I met were totally unsuitable including two who were unhinged and dangerous.
100% spot on.
I have felt the need to rush in to dating in the past because I worried I'd be left on the shelf.
Now...I dont care if I am. I am doing way better on my own than I did with any man, so going solo no longer scares me.
One day I will return to the dating scene, but at the minute I am enjoying life on my own

• Heart
Reactions: 11

From my learning so far it's all just beliefs that our ego tells us rather than what our soul actually wants. Once you start digging down you find out where the story came from and then can work to get that go and recognise what you actually want. I've been officially single for many years - I had spent alot of time learning to be happy alone and I was. Granted I had the blip but that blip mirrored what I still needed to work on and he needed to enter my life to show that and now I'm happier than I've ever been. I've personally learned more about my blocks and issues via a certain academy and her teaching than many attempts of therapy has ever achieved. I know what I deserve. I've set my boundaries and I'm not even chasing "friends" anymore because I'm actually worth more than that. I was 100% the giver and wanting to make everyone else happy because my Mum did - hell even when she had terminal cancer she refused to stop working because "they need the staff" - she also allowed many toxic relationships in her life whether it was friends or partners. That will not be me in any situation - I realised I was following her pattern. If I want to do something I will and if it doesn't suit my higher energy then I won't and I'll be dammed if I feel bad. I always go all out for others birthdays and then find myself almost begging people to participate in something I have to plan myself!! Well no more.

Reactions: 7

I’m lonely. I think that’s why I want a partner. I did so much stuff on my own when I was married. We barely interacted. We separated over 4 years ago. I want someone to hang out with, do stuff with, have my back, I really miss affection (so much) and I want sex again!

However, I think it’s excruciating obvious that I need to have therapy and not look for a partner right now, but I’m still lonely. How do I feel less lonely? I have a few lovely friends but actually no single friends.Finances are very tight too. What options would be good for me?

This is a genuine question btw. I think what you said was very accurate. Don’t tell me to love myself and be my own partner. I can go to the cinema, theatre and restaurant on my own without a problem. I just want someone to go with now. Someone to watch a tv show with. Do you see what I mean? Companionship and the physical relationship. I’ve done marriage and kids.

• Heart
I’m lonely. I think that’s why I want a partner. I did so much stuff on my own when I was married. We barely interacted. We separated over 4 years ago. I want someone to hang out with, do stuff with, have my back, I really miss affection (so much) and I want sex again!

However, I think it’s excruciating obvious that I need to have therapy and not look for a partner right now, but I’m still lonely. How do I feel less lonely? I have a few lovely friends but actually no single friends.Finances are very tight too. What options would be good for me?

This is a genuine question btw. I think what you said was very accurate. Don’t tell me to love myself and be my own partner. I can go to the cinema, theatre and restaurant on my own without a problem. I just want someone to go with now. Someone to watch a tv show with. Do you see what I mean? Companionship and the physical relationship. I’ve done marriage and kids.
The issue is that the answer is that you have to be truly comfortable with your own company and "love yourself" properly as nobody else is going to love you like you. I've been through the lonely phase and I'm feeling better as I know better things are coming. I would love someone to compliment my life now but I won't settle for just whoever to stop me feeling lonely at times.

It may not be what you want to hear but I 100% guarantee whatever you read, whoever you ask will say that it starts with you and actually being comfortable with you first. Truly comfortable. You'll only attract people who are likely to feel your energy of how you feel right now and end up being with people who just abuse that/ghost/treat like crap etc

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I'm sorry you feel like this.

Things that worked for me in this situation were:

1 - being in busy places and seeing people around. I live on the outskirts of London and just walking around Hyde Park and seeing lots of people would make me feel less lonely. Another thing I liked to do is sit in a busy coffee shop. Stuff like that is cheap.

2 - reverting to being a child and spending weekends with my parents when I had no plans. I appreciate not everyone can or wants to do the same.

3- exercise. I had so much time to get into shape, plus when you're exercising you don't have space in your mind to think about life

• Heart

I don't really have any advice as such but when I lived alone and had moments of loneliness I would put on a podcast. Sounds bizarre and unhelpful but it was nice to hear people's voices having a chat while I was cooking, cleaning, walking around shopping. Made me feel less lonely cause it was real human voices in my ears.
I know that doesn't help physically but it might be a little help while you do therapy and work towards a place where you can be in a relationship.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm sorry you feel like this.

Things that worked for me in this situation were:

1 - being in busy places and seeing people around. I live on the outskirts of London and just walking around Hyde Park and seeing lots of people would make me feel less lonely. Another thing I liked to do is sit in a busy coffee shop. Stuff like that is cheap.

2 - reverting to being a child and spending weekends with my parents when I had no plans. I appreciate not everyone can or wants to do the same.

3- exercise. I had so much time to get into shape, plus when you're exercising you don't have space in your mind to think about life
See I find see lots of other people makes it worse
both my parents have departed
i hate coffee and it’s so expensive 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Podcasts have been a lifesaver for me, I probably listen to about 8 hours of them each day (I always need to have noise in the background). It might sound silly but I feel less lonely when I listen to them. I also join Instagram and Facebook communities that are linked to the shows I listen to , I have made great Internet friends.

I also try to have some projects happening in my house like painting or rearranging rooms or sorting out old crap!

All my friends are married now but I have started to reach out to them sometimes and arrange a night out or a day trip. It takes a lot of organising but we get there in the end, we always set up future dates too so even if it's every couple of months, it's something for me to look forward to.

Pinterest...yes, I still use it. I can just disappear into my own little world and plan my next outfit, make up look or home project. I also love twitter and stumble across lots of strange, interesting or fun threads.

Walking...I would be lost without my walks, it does amazing things for your heads.

I just try to keep my mind on things I stead of dwelling on past mistakes or loneliness.

• Heart

The posts by women on Nextdoor to start walking groups are always met with a lot of enthusiasm. I’ve seen three of them over the past year & a half. They’re very popular 🙂

Reactions: 2
Podcasts have been a lifesaver for me, I probably listen to about 8 hours of them each day (I always need to have noise in the background). It might sound silly but I feel less lonely when I listen to them. I also join Instagram and Facebook communities that are linked to the shows I listen to , I have made great Internet friends.

I also try to have some projects happening in my house like painting or rearranging rooms or sorting out old crap!

All my friends are married now but I have started to reach out to them sometimes and arrange a night out or a day trip. It takes a lot of organising but we get there in the end, we always set up future dates too so even if it's every couple of months, it's something for me to look forward to.

Pinterest...yes, I still use it. I can just disappear into my own little world and plan my next outfit, make up look or home project. I also love twitter and stumble across lots of strange, interesting or fun threads.

Walking...I would be lost without my walks, it does amazing things for your heads.

I just try to keep my mind on things I stead of dwelling on past mistakes or loneliness.
A concert or a theatre show is really good for organising something as it pins it down and they're usually a good few months in advance. If money is tight then that might not be so possible though.

also I still use Pinterest!!! I love it, it's the media without the social 🤣

Agree about the walking too. Nature is amazing for me. Just a weekly walk with some trees will really improve my mood

Reactions: 5
I can only speak for myself but I know my biological clock is ticking, I really want another child. The last time I fell pregnant I had to have an abortion as I was on chemo and it wasn't a viable pregnancy. So I do have that pressure in that sense. Of course I don't have to have another child, I'm very blessed to have the one I do have, but it would be incredibly hard for me to accept.

Loneliness is so incredibly difficult to deal with, it's only very recently that I've started to be okay with spending my weekend at home on my own.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
A new guy moved into the flat next door. I originally met him last week when his dog literally stopped to look at me and got really excited. I've met him 3 times outside our street since then.

Today I bumped into him at 7am when I was leaving with my sister to go for a walk. He also does usually walk his dog at 6pm as that was the other two times that I've met him in the evening as I was leaving to collect my sister from work. He was cute and super easy to talk to. I also decided to leave for another walk too at exactly 6.05pm 🤪and saw him coming out and asked if I could tag along. I did give him my number at the end ssaying if he wanted to go together again another time, but I don't want to come across as too strong. Going to leave the ball in his court now.

I'm thinking of changing my walk times even though I'm naturally a morning person and I like going out early as I'm trying to get back into running.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
So I don't know what came over me, but I decided to initiate a conversation with a school dad I've been checking out since September 🙊
Turns out he's single 😉

• Heart
Reactions: 19
A new guy moved into the flat next door. I originally met him last week when his dog literally stopped to look at me and got really excited. I've met him 3 times outside our street since then.

Today I bumped into him at 7am when I was leaving with my sister to go for a walk. He also does usually walk his dog at 6pm as that was the other two times that I've met him in the evening as I was leaving to collect my sister from work. He was cute and super easy to talk to. I also decided to leave for another walk too at exactly 6.05pm 🤪and saw him coming out and asked if I could tag along. I did give him my number at the end ssaying if he wanted to go together again another time, but I don't want to come across as too strong. Going to leave the ball in his court now.

I'm thinking of changing my walk times even though I'm naturally a morning person and I like going out early as I'm trying to get back into running.
Aah this sounds like a rom com, keep us posted!

Reactions: 11
Is there anything worse then snakey friends?!

I've mentioned before that I like someone at work. I told one of my friends/colleagues (who I'm very close too) ages ago and all of a sudden she's making a beeline for him.

She's the type of person to put on one of those fake personas when around guys and to be quite frank it's really pissing me off!

Walked into a room today where she's stood talking to him batting her eye lashes at him. She noticed me and carried on doing so. Feel tit about it all now 😫

• Angry
  • Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.