Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #74

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My friend’s Mum who was in ITU last week has been sent home! She had a rough couple of days but then turned a corner and is now home where I’m sure she’ll recover much more quickly in the comfort and cleanliness. I think they mentioned on the briefing or news earlier how many more people we are able to successfully treat now (which I guess contributes to a struggling NHS - people may have just died this time last year but are now taking up beds for longer whilst receiving treatment). What we know about this virus and treatments will only continue to improve. There IS light at the end of the tunnel and for anyone struggling to see it I think staying away from the tabloids and rolling news for a couple of days might get you in a better frame of mind to be able to see it. Remember, good news sells less papers than bad so I’m sure there will be some awful headlines tomorrow about how we’ll have restrictions next winter but please please try and keep them in context. “Sone restrictions” is a world away from the lockdown we’re living in currently!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Whitty was clearly being overly cautious about next winter to air on the safe side, but why would the media let that get in the way of a fear mongering headline.

also not sure if this could be of use to some.

Reactions: 10
So trump wants to go to Scotland to play golf instead of going to the inauguration of Biden on the 20th. Somehow I don’t see that happening (trump going to Scotland not the other thing)😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Is anyone else in Scotland and aware what the current childcare rules are? It was all very vague in Nicola Sturgeon’s announcement. I have a school aged child and a toddler, my parents are my childcare. I have been working from home which was ok when my parents could help but during the first lockdown it was horrendous as they couldn’t, and even though I tried to explain to my boss how difficult it was to make phone calls or do video chats with a very needy toddler around during that time there was no let up. She fell and burst her face open at one point while I was working and I felt so guilty. I was constantly stressed and irritable, especially when factoring in home schooling! I can’t request furlough as I work for the NHS (even though my role is 100% not essential and no help to anything related to covid!) I’ve tried to search the government website and numerous other facebook pages etc but there are no clear guidelines at the moment by the look of it. If anyone can shed any light I would really appreciate it!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Just had an example time table through from the head of how we can expect the average day to be whilst home learning. They expect kids from yr1-6 to be doing ‘work’ from 9-3. Is it just me or is this a bit much? I am dreading this honestly. Not even the actual work as it’s all provided but just getting my kids to focus all day at home and get it all done. I feel like this won’t be sustainable and I am going to absolutely lose my tit by the end of this. I don’t even have the excuse of having to work from home so I can’t imagine how working parents will cope.

On the one hand I fully appreciate all the detail and information I have received from school and how organised and upfront they have been over the last couple of days but on the other hand I am so overwhelmed by it all. What if my kids video sessions are on at the same time? We only have one computer between them. duck.
My teenager is expected to be online during lesson time . They can go on mute and have a profile pic rather than being on webcam the whole time ( the are expected to be visible/ heard during participating in class discussions) .I think they're forgetting people have other kids at home too. We don't have the space , it's either a shared bedroom or the dinner table . I can't expect to keep 2 little ones and a dog quiet.

School do seem to have planned a thorough timetable though I'll give them that.

Reactions: 2
Is anyone else in Scotland and aware what the current childcare rules are? It was all very vague in Nicola Sturgeon’s announcement. I have a school aged child and a toddler, my parents are my childcare. I have been working from home which was ok when my parents could help but during the first lockdown it was horrendous as they couldn’t, and even though I tried to explain to my boss how difficult it was to make phone calls or do video chats with a very needy toddler around during that time there was no let up. She fell and burst her face open at one point while I was working and I felt so guilty. I was constantly stressed and irritable, especially when factoring in home schooling! I can’t request furlough as I work for the NHS (even though my role is 100% not essential and no help to anything related to covid!) I’ve tried to search the government website and numerous other facebook pages etc but there are no clear guidelines at the moment by the look of it. If anyone can shed any light I would really appreciate it!
Your parents would still be able to provide informal childcare to enable you to work.

Reactions: 1
Just found out on the grapevine that my eldest daughters class has no teacher right now. Their new teacher was unexpectedly unable to take the job. So now they are teacherless.

This is a joke, right? Someone please tell me this is a joke, or a really bad dream.

Just found out on the grapevine that my eldest daughters class has no teacher right now. Their new teacher was unexpectedly unable to take the job. So now they are teacherless.

This is a joke, right? Someone please tell me this is a joke, or a really bad dream.
There will be loads of supply out there right now don’t stress 😘

I've emailed my kids teachers and basically told them we will not be following any sort of timetable nor can i commit to homeschooling during school hours.

I have 2 devices, 3 primary aged kids, a husband off work on the sick (nasal issues under investigation) a family bereavement, a kid still struggling with post covid fatigue and a house to run etc

I can already feel the stress overwhelming me. The whole situation seems so much harder this time round

I fear my teetotal lifestyle may not last much longer. And i didn't quit drinking for no reason

Wow sorry that turned into a total pity party for 1 🙈
Good for you.

• Heart
Your parents can still provide childcare. It's hard to find but there's a bit on the Parent Club website which says it's essential childcare if you're working from home and have no other option. Also solidarity, not easy with a toddler around 😩

1 in 50 people have Covid!??
They said they did over a period of dates over Christmas (can’t remember exactly!). I knew nobody who had it during the first lockdown but at the minute I definitely know over 10 people currently with it but appears to all be the new strain

Reactions: 4
Our numbers in school are hugely different from lock down one! So many more children in this time, over half the classes!

• Sad
Without sounding like a conspiracist, I genuinely don’t know of anybody with it at the moment either.
I know of 3 families who have had it personally during the last 2 months. I didn't know anybody who had it from March-September. I know of a lot of people who have had to isolate bc of close contact.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.