Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #72

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really do think we’ve just been waiting for a lit match to be thrown when it comes to our health service and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if in the coming years we see sections sold off to private companies to run and covid is blamed. Clearly things are bad as beds are close to or in excess of previous occupancy and we don’t have some of the elective procedure patients in hospital. It’s just a tit show.
The attached also shows what a joke our media is - 2019 they were at a record low, but in 2017 we were at 99% capacity.... so in 2019 we must have been in excess of 99% capacity but that wasn’t the chosen wording for the headline. Complete joke!

I did also read that we only have half of the number of patients on ventilators compared to April which is great. Clearly treatment has come a long way and ventilation is a risky procedure in itself so the less we need to rely on that the better.

Attachments

Reactions: 2
We are pretty much there in some trusts. I
I know , that’s why I can’t understand why they’re standing back and letting it happen.. unless they feel they’ve exhausted every avenue open to them and are going to let it run ( without publicly admitting it) of course.

Feeling worried about going back to work this week I’m in childcare so no ppe and lots of close contact. Worried to bring anything home to my family and also if we have to isolate/get ill we don’t get paid so feel a bit stressy 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I completely agree with you, and this is why I could never vote Tory. Far too many of them are like this. ‘Me, me, me, I’m alright Jack, sod everyone else etc’. I also think Boris is narcissistic psychopath, and so lacks the empathy to give a tit about people dying anyway.
Agree 100%, this was so epitomised by his dad getting French citizenship

Reactions: 4
Something I fail to grasp is people who aren’t worried about catching it. It’s not just about living or dying. So many people have long COVID now which seems to be extremely similar to chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).
I have CFS/ME and it’s literally ruined my life. I am unable to work. My boyfriend is my carer. It has got to the point where I am having to weigh up the pros and cons of getting a mobility aid so that I can actually do things. I wouldn’t wish this upon anybody but I know that so many people will end up in a similar position to myself. I wish that people (especially influencers) who break the rules would consider this. :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Feeling worried about going back to work this week I’m in childcare so no ppe and lots of close contact. Worried to bring anything home to my family and also if we have to isolate/get ill we don’t get paid so feel a bit stressy 😔
I don't get why teachers/people working in childcare aren't allowed to wear masks/ppe, surely children must be used to seeing people in it now?!

Reactions: 9
I don't get why teachers/people working in childcare aren't allowed to wear masks/ppe, surely children must be used to seeing people in it now?!

we have to wear them for drop offs and pick ups from parents but then 9/10 hours with the kids without them it’s crazy!

Reactions: 6
I've decided to ring the school tomorrow and say we've been in close contact with a positive case and have been told to self isolate until X date.
Then I don't get a fine and can take some time to see how the situation develops.

My sister working in hospital has said they are now requesting each ward 'give' one nurse and one healthcare assistant to go and work in the covid wards and the same again to staff the nightingale. They're struggling with staff as it is on her ward, so they'll have to rely heavily on bank staff.
Although interestingly she would prefer the schools to close, so that there are less children in with keyworker kids, so less chance of bubble closures and then less staff absences. She said they have really struggled with staff who have kids having to stay home and look after them when their bubbles are closing, which for some with multiple kids has been several times. Something I hadn't thought about before.

Reactions: 21
Something I fail to grasp is people who aren’t worried about catching it. It’s not just about living or dying. So many people have long COVID now which seems to be extremely similar to chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).
I have CFS/ME and it’s literally ruined my life. I am unable to work. My boyfriend is my carer. It has got to the point where I am having to weigh up the pros and cons of getting a mobility aid so that I can actually do things. I wouldn’t wish this upon anybody but I know that so many people will end up in a similar position to myself. I wish that people (especially influencers) who break the rules would consider this. :(
I feel for you, chronic illness is awful and misunderstood. However I have absolutely 0 fear of catching covid myself. The main reason being I truly believe if I were susceptible I would have caught it by now - being an NHS worker I’ve been surrounded with it from day 1. It wasn’t until May that our office actually implemented social distancing, before this we were all crammed in a small poorly ventilated office together. Several of my colleagues with whom I’d had close contact came down with it (this was before any sort of procedures were in place for people to isolate). I’ve been seeing patients all along with very flimsy PPE, but because we wear it we are exempt from track and trace. Maybe it’s a defence mechanism because if I had any anxiety about catching it I wouldn’t have been able to do my job? Either way, I’m healthy fit and young. I’ve got a much much higher chance of dying by my own hand than I have of becoming seriously ill from COVID.

Reactions: 3
we have to wear them for drop offs and pick ups from parents but then 9/10 hours with the kids without them it’s crazy!
I cannot fathom what the government is thinking with these bizarre contradictory measures... so you have to wear them outside... but not inside... wtf. I fully support striking, I would be if I was a teacher in these conditions

I agree, I have fibromyalgia amongst other things and chronic fatigue is part of that and it is so debilitating, I think some people who are healthy don’t consider things like that as they have no personal understanding or experience of it.

I agree, I have fibromyalgia amongst other things and chronic fatigue is part of that and it is so debilitating, I think some people who are healthy don’t consider things like that as they have no personal understanding or experience of it.
I actually don't think that long-covid is different to other forms of post-viral fatigue, ME/CFS etc. I just hope that the number of people now suffering will make the medical community take the illness more seriously and not just claim that people are malingering.

Well done Liz Frazer talking on Sky news now. Telling it how it is! First person I've heard on TV say about Boris and how he hasn't got a clue and changes his mind on things!

Reactions: 7
I've decided to ring the school tomorrow and say we've been in close contact with a positive case and have been told to self isolate until X date.
Then I don't get a fine and can take some time to see how the situation develops.

My sister working in hospital has said they are now requesting each ward 'give' one nurse and one healthcare assistant to go and work in the covid wards and the same again to staff the nightingale. They're struggling with staff as it is on her ward, so they'll have to rely heavily on bank staff.
Although interestingly she would prefer the schools to close, so that there are less children in with keyworker kids, so less chance of bubble closures and then less staff absences. She said they have really struggled with staff who have kids having to stay home and look after them when their bubbles are closing, which for some with multiple kids has been several times. Something I hadn't thought about before.
I think thats sensible if your feeling like you shouldnt send them. They cant argue it and have to provide work.

Either way, I’m healthy fit and young. I’ve got a much much higher chance of dying by my own hand than I have of becoming seriously ill from COVID.
I love your optimism but one of the horrors of this virus is its ability to affect people in different ways, there seems no rhyme or reason as to who gets so ill and who dies and who has mild symptoms.

Reactions: 6
The mental health exemptions are there for good reason.
You have absolutely no idea who is or isn’t suffering with their mental health. It’s not fair to assume they’re bending the rules and pretending to be suffering.
I have never in my life suffered at all with mental health however this year has pushed me to my limit and I’m now awaiting an appointment with a private counsellor.
I am at home with a toddler all week as my partner works away in the military and I’m still seeing my parents regularly for my own sanity.
None of my friends or neighbours know how much I’m suffering with my thoughts and mental health right now, but could easily assume (like you are) I’m going out and doing what I want for no other reason than i just don’t care.
You really don’t have a right to say who is suffering mentally and who is not. We all have our own issues and reasons for doing things.
There is seemingly no end to this and our government don’t have a handle on what they’re doing- so you cannot blame people for having coping strategies and needing to see other humans for their own sanity.
Of course there are a lot of people who are suffering in silence . I certainly don't dispute this but when you have someone talking to you outside who is admitted they are breaking the rules saying they don't have any mental health problems but they would say they would if they got caught it really makes people who are sticking to the rules suffer restrictions longer. I'm sorry that things are so difficult for you just now and it's good that you are getting support from your parents when you need their support .I apologize if you feel that i upset you .I hope that your counselling goes well. Sorry

Because politically and socially we don’t have that kind of culture. Johnson should have come down on a Cummings like a tonne of bricks but he didn‘t, and that undermined the whole point of the lockdown.
This. My mum is an absolute stickler for rules but when that happened even she was like 'well, I feel pretty justified in travelling 3 hours to help out with childcare or even just for the hell of it.' Between us we never acted on this but I get why people did. The do as I say, not as I do logic springs to mind with the entire government at this stage.

Reactions: 2
I actually don't think that long-covid is different to other forms of post-viral fatigue, ME/CFS etc. I just hope that the number of people now suffering will make the medical community take the illness more seriously and not just claim that people are malingering.
That’s a very good point.

Reactions: 1
My local authority has publicly now said they support schools closing and although they won’t tell them what to do they support them.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.