Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #72

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Possibly , but it should have been easier ( and that’s probably not the right choice of word) in the summer months when we could at least take them outside for longer periods. January is a difficult month for many even pre COVID. Add in homeschooling , extended periods inside and the yo yo effect of tier changes. It’s not going to be any better (IMO) .
I do agree! My kids did struggle with out their friends and routine. I can honestly say at times we did nothing at all and went out walking in the woods as we hit a wall with learning. But if a school closure is inevitable with the growing numbers I think most people would chose now rather than in a couple of weeks time.

My concern is just the mixing from Christmas if that has increased the risk of passing it on when my kids go back to school. I suffer with anxiety and constantly worry something bad is going to happen so my instinct is telling me to keep them home right now that’s only because I live in a tier 4 area. I’m about ten mins drive from another local council who have decided to close all their schools but our numbers here are the same so can’t understand a closure in one area which is ten mins away and not here if the risk wasn’t the same?

Weirdly I didn’t feel like this in the first round. We have been lucky and had no one known to us affect by the first wave. This time my uncle who is fit and healthy has been very very ill with it.

A work colleague tested positive and then so did some of his immediate family. His father early 60s passed away because of heart failure whilst suffering from Covid.

sorry to ramble I think like many we are confused by our parental/mother’s instinct and what bloody Boris is telling us vs all the scientists/advisors/educators. Who is right?

Reactions: 8
I agree, people just aren’t listening! Folk are still meeting and going round each others houses, the government asked people to travel for work only - yet half of Instagram seem to be away at the moment.
Stricter rules with the army involved / heavier fines is needed to get out of this mess. It’s so frustrating for those who are abiding by the rules, when others are getting away with it.
If they had the resources and manpower to do that, they would have done it from day 1. People are sick of their freedoms being taken away, if they started some sort of martial law now there would be riots in the streets, looting, carnage. Can you imagine? I don’t agree with people not following the rules but I can 100% understand why they’ve had enough. This government’s handling of the pandemic has been farcical since the beginning. The feeling is we are all now being punished for the poor decisions being made. I just hope they don’t duck this vaccine up as this is the only chance we have of regaining some sort of normality.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I agree, people just aren’t listening! Folk are still meeting and going round each others houses, the government asked people to travel for work only - yet half of Instagram seem to be away at the moment.
Stricter rules with the army involved / heavier fines is needed to get out of this mess. It’s so frustrating for those who are abiding by the rules, when others are getting away with it.
Problem is... what is “essential work”? The governments need to whittle down that list to the absolute essentials. As far as influencers going to Dubai for work purposes (aka “modelling” cheap clothes and string bikinis) that does, unfortunately, meet their definition. And they can bring their “essential” MUA, hair stylists, photographers etc (usually just their mates)

And thus, half of Insta is in Dubai. 😡

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
Im not sure about the whole let's kills off the elderly and vulnerable as covid is going to create a whole load more of vulnerable. I genuinely believe the current situation is as a result of years of austerity and the fact the current Governement are tit. I think you are giving them too much thought ability there 😆
I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all but I do think that some of the early decisions were taken based in models that predicted that those who were more likely to die were the old and the vulnerable, and at higher-levels that wasn’t really seen as the tragedy that it is. Herd immunity, despite a high number of deaths, was seen as a genuinely realistic option at the time as there wasn’t really any knowledge of long Covid and it’s impact on those of working age. The government’s actions were heartless and balanced numbers of deaths against economic impact, and I do strongly feel that some groups of people were ‘unofficially’ written off as collateral damage with little more than a shrug. I say this as someone who lost an older relative to a ‘viral pneumonia’ back in March - it was at the start of lockdown but it was impossible to get them tested, they were in beds next to confirmed cases and then moved around, and they really weren’t medically treated properly. It felt very much like as an older person, their death was just seen as inevitable when it really wasn’t.

• Sad
Supermarkets have been shocking today. Many people in groups. And the traffic light system they use let’s far too many in. Me or my partner go alone to the supermarket as they advise, I went today and I understand some need assistance but there was people literally just out for a browse with the whole family. They have no respect for social distancing, some not wearing masks correctly and touching everything and putting it down again. Makes me so anxious I feel like things are worse than March at the min? With how I’m feeling anyway. Feel much more scared and anxious now than I did then. Was thinking to try get shopping online from now on but then feel bad thinking I’m stealing a spot from someone who needs it more. It’s so tough. Wish everyone would just bloody behave :(
I work in one and it's been ridiculous. The traffic light system works but capacity does seem to have been increased. God knows why, us staff are very concerned. Just wish people would be sensible. I've even had people TOUCH me to get my attention.

People are just stupid honestly, how hard is it to put a mask on properly and social distance!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Are any school staff here sending their heads the S44 letter?

This is really starting to annoy the duck out of me.

The government are so focused on secondary schools but not affording primaries the same respect.
Yes secondary aged school kids have various different factors meaning transmission risks are higher.
But primary aged kids are living with the same families as the secondary kids. They ARE catching it. They ARE spreading it.

And seeing my 6yr old daughter still struggling with absolute exhaustion 3wks after her positive test is truly heartbreaking and other parents shouldn't have to see that. I appreciate she only had a mild case and i am thankful every day that she coped with it well. But we shouldn't be waiting for the death of a kid to prompt action......

Reactions: 21
If they had the resources and manpower to do that, they would have done it from day 1. People are sick of their freedoms being taken away, if they started some sort of martial law now there would be riots in the streets, looting, carnage. Can you imagine? I don’t agree with people not following the rules but I can 100% understand why they’ve had enough. This government’s handling of the pandemic has been farcical since the beginning. The feeling is we are all now being punished for the poor decisions being made. I just hope they don’t duck this vaccine up as this is the only chance we have of regaining some sort of normality.
A lot of the people I know who are breaking the rules have done so from the start....it’s not a case of them having enough now and being sick of their freedoms taken away because they’ve never listened. It’s galling that there are people like that who really don’t give a tit and are carrying on like this pandemic doesn’t concern them.
At the end of the day we should all be doing the right thing and listening to the advice and guidelines and following them. There is a huge reason for this, it’s not because the government are on some power trip.
People in other countries have managed it and have listened to their governments snd followed their guidance, why can some of our people not do the same?

Reactions: 13
I think I’ve said on here before we need a lockdown & I still stand by that. But after being on a certain thread on here about an ‘influencer’ having a NYE party, I don’t think people will stick to it nor are they sticking to tier restrictions. It was a novelty back in March - stay at home etc. So I do wonder what is the way out aside from a vaccine - which is whole other conversation in itself.

The media are thriving on fear, panic & scare. Covid has just highlighted the inequalities our country has had for decades.
The vast majority are though, which is why numbers were reducing in other tier four areas. Its like any rules, you will always have those who won't adhere to them but the overall impact works.
I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all but I do think that some of the early decisions were taken based in models that predicted that those who were more likely to die were the old and the vulnerable, and at higher-levels that wasn’t really seen as the tragedy that it is. Herd immunity, despite a high number of deaths, was seen as a genuinely realistic option at the time as there wasn’t really any knowledge of long Covid and it’s impact on those of working age. The government’s actions were heartless and balanced numbers of deaths against economic impact, and I do strongly feel that some groups of people were ‘unofficially’ written off as collateral damage with little more than a shrug. I say this as someone who lost an older relative to a ‘viral pneumonia’ back in March - it was at the start of lockdown but it was impossible to get them tested, they were in beds next to confirmed cases and then moved around, and they really weren’t medically treated properly. It felt very much like as an older person, their death was just seen as inevitable when it really wasn’t.
Oh yes they were very open in the fact they thought a herd immunity response was correct at first but they quickly changed their minds when they saw the reality in Italy and had the reaction they did to "some of you will lose loved ones" speech. But I don't think they are still trying that route at all, they are just trying to fight a forest fire with a water psitol now because they weren't quick enough to act and we dont have the resources.

Reactions: 9
People in other countries have managed it and have listened to their governments snd followed their guidance, why can some of our people not do the same?
Because politically and socially we don’t have that kind of culture. Johnson should have come down on a Cummings like a tonne of bricks but he didn‘t, and that undermined the whole point of the lockdown.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I work in one and it's been ridiculous. The traffic light system works but capacity does seem to have been increased. God knows why, us staff are very concerned. Just wish people would be sensible. I've even had people TOUCH me to get my attention.

People are just stupid honestly, how hard is it to put a mask on properly and social distance!
As soon as masks were mandated and it went to 1 metre + coz of mask wearing, supermarkets became a free for all again!
People get too close, don't wear the masks properly and there are far too many people in the supermarkets, treating it as a family outing!!!
No monitoring of people goes on where I work and its getting a bit stupid!
Supermarket workers will be dropping like flies soon!!

• Sad
A lot of the people I know who are breaking the rules have done so from the start....it’s not a case of them having enough now and being sick of their freedoms taken away because they’ve never listened. It’s galling that there are people like that who really don’t give a tit and are carrying on like this pandemic doesn’t concern them.
At the end of the day we should all be doing the right thing and listening to the advice and guidelines and following them. There is a huge reason for this, it’s not because the government are on some power trip.
I’ve found the opposite - the people I knew who were the strictest at the beginning are now very relaxed.
I think the government in this country has been too contradictory with the rules. Instead of blanket restrictions they’ve made it very confusing - for example, apparently schools are safe but visiting a relative at a distance isn’t? Apparently supermarkets are safer than sitting outside alone on a park bench? Apparently it’s safe to sit in a restaurant but as soon as you order alcohol it’s not safe? Apparently it’s ok to take a 100 mile round trip to test your eyesight? It’s stuff like this that makes people think it’s all a load of bollocks. The government haven’t done themselves any favours with all the faffing, too-ing and fro-ing, tier systems and backtracking. The countries that have handled it the best had blanket harsh rules from day 1 and a population that respects and conforms to authority - the UK has neither so we cannot directly compare .

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’ve found the opposite - the people I knew who were the strictest at the beginning are now very relaxed.
I think the government in this country has been too contradictory with the rules. Instead of blanket restrictions they’ve made it very confusing - for example, apparently schools are safe but visiting a relative at a distance isn’t? Apparently supermarkets are safer than sitting outside alone on a park bench? Apparently it’s safe to sit in a restaurant but as soon as you order alcohol it’s not safe? Apparently it’s ok to take a 100 mile round trip to test your eyesight? It’s stuff like this that makes people think it’s all a load of bollocks. The government haven’t done themselves any favours with all the faffing, too-ing and fro-ing, tier systems and backtracking. The countries that have handled it the best had blanket harsh rules from day 1 and a population that respects and conforms to authority - the UK has neither so we cannot directly compare .
And they say that kids can’t get it? The amount of cases at my mums school 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 2
The vast majority are though, which is why numbers were reducing in other tier four areas. Its like any rules, you will always have those who won't adhere to them but the overall impact works.

Oh yes they were very open in the fact they thought a herd immunity response was correct at first but they quickly changed their minds when they saw the reality in Italy and had the reaction they did to "some of you will lose loved ones" speech. But I don't think they are still trying that route at all, they are just trying to fight a forest fire with a water psitol now because they weren't quick enough to act and we dont have the resources.
My fear is we’re going to get an Italy situation if something radical is not done very soon, what that is idk 🤷🏼‍♀️

This is really starting to annoy the duck out of me.

The government are so focused on secondary schools but not affording primaries the same respect.
Yes secondary aged school kids have various different factors meaning transmission risks are higher.
But primary aged kids are living with the same families as the secondary kids. They ARE catching it. They ARE spreading it.

And seeing my 6yr old daughter still struggling with absolute exhaustion 3wks after her positive test is truly heartbreaking and other parents shouldn't have to see that. I appreciate she only had a mild case and i am thankful every day that she coped with it well. But we shouldn't be waiting for the death of a kid to prompt action......
It’s like they’re letting it spread to lower tier areas instead of keeping ahead of it ,it’s just making the situation worse.

Reactions: 7
Yet all we do is politely complain as a country and let the Gov walk all over make mistake after mistake and we just seem to accept it all 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 15
As soon as masks were mandated and it went to 1 metre + coz of mask wearing, supermarkets became a free for all again!
People get too close, don't wear the masks properly and there are far too many people in the supermarkets, treating it as a family outing!!!
No monitoring of people goes on where I work and its getting a bit stupid!
Supermarket workers will be dropping like flies soon!!
Honestly we've had a lot of cases at work! It's really worrying and tbh we're all a bit sick of people getting in our faces.
I still adhere to the 2m rule I think changing it to 1m was a load of rubbish tbh. I try and distance myself as much as possible but of course it isn't always possible. I actually make a point (even though I shouldn't) to tell people about their masks and tbh we don't have many issues with masks, it's more the distancing. Even in the queue people are right up eachothers backsides.

Thankfully being in the city centre ours isn't too bad but our local is absolutely ridiculous with whole families going shopping together.
Really unfair on us as we won't get vaccinated, I feel like supermarket workers are forgotten about in that regard.
We do all wear our PPE and have screens but it's not enough to stop us getting sick. :cry:

Me too. People are losing hope and patience with the whole thing.
The government bullshitting us and changing their mind every 2 minutes has gotten people fed up. They don't want to stay home and be cut off from their friends and family. I get it, but we still need to continue.

Reactions: 5
I don’t know why the Govt are saying cases in schools are low - My Mum had to be sent home & wait for the all clear before Christmas as a staff member had it and my Brother was sent home after a kid in his year group at high school had it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.