Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #72

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think thats sensible if your feeling like you shouldnt send them. They cant argue it and have to provide work.
Just had an email from them to say they arent opening tomorrow, due to new guidelines and appreciate it's last minute but they'll be in contact again. So guess I'll hold off and see what happens tomorrow.

Reactions: 7
I love your optimism but one of the horrors of this virus is its ability to affect people in different ways, there seems no rhyme or reason as to who gets so ill and who dies and who has mild symptoms.
As I said in my post, I understand that. However I am statistically low risk, there is nothing more I can do. I have been working throughout, and didn’t catch it when it was probably most risky. I may also get hit by a car but I still have to leave the house.

Reactions: 2
I don't get why teachers/people working in childcare aren't allowed to wear masks/ppe, surely children must be used to seeing people in it now?!
Young children need to be able to see their teachers’ mouths to help learn to speak properly. Very important for children with speech and language difficulties and children who are deaf I’d imagine. Not saying that teachers shouldn’t be protected, but I imagine that’s one reason.

Reactions: 9
I love your optimism but one of the horrors of this virus is its ability to affect people in different ways, there seems no rhyme or reason as to who gets so ill and who dies and who has mild symptoms.
There generally is though. There is a pretty consistent pattern that deaths are over 80, serious cases and hospital admissions are heavily skewed to those who are older and/ or have quite serious underlying health conditions.

While there will always be anomalies by and large young healthy people are not being hospitalised with covid in anywhere near the same numbers as older people.

Reactions: 5
This. My mum is an absolute stickler for rules but when that happened even she was like 'well, I feel pretty justified in travelling 3 hours to help out with childcare or even just for the hell of it.' Between us we never acted on this but I get why people did. The do as I say, not as I do logic springs to mind with the entire government at this stage.
What was equally enfuriating about the Cummings thing was his absurd apology, "testing his eyesight" just shows that he seems to think the British public are stupid

Reactions: 10
I work in one and it's been ridiculous. The traffic light system works but capacity does seem to have been increased. God knows why, us staff are very concerned. Just wish people would be sensible. I've even had people TOUCH me to get my attention.

People are just stupid honestly, how hard is it to put a mask on properly and social distance!
I honestly feel for you all. As your employer they have a duty to keep you safe but I feel like the ones who make the decision higher up who don’t work on the floor don’t realise what it’s like and just thinking money all the time. Can guarantee if they had to come out and work with the public it would be totally different. Hopefully now Christmas and stuff is over it will return to be a bit quieter?
Doesn’t help as you say people are so rude and not self aware enough to respect staff working in such conditions!

Reactions: 2
Are any school staff here sending their heads the S44 letter?
I went back and forward on what to do. I think sending the letter is probably the right thing but I’m not for a number of reasons.

my head seems to have done more to keep us safe than others going off what I’ve seen said here. I also worry about the long term impression employment wise. I’ve spoken to a few people and they are the same; not sending it. I don’t want to be the only one.

Very anxious over what it will be like tomorrow though. Staff levels are likely to be low. Also wonder if any children will stay off.

Reactions: 6
Young children need to be able to see their teachers’ mouths to help learn to speak properly. Very important for children with speech and language difficulties and children who are deaf I’d imagine. Not saying that teachers shouldn’t be protected, but I imagine that’s one reason.
But couldn't they wear those see through plastic visor things? I know they are not as effective but it would be better than nothing surely. Also in lots of other countries teachers and students are all obliged to wear masks, I don't really see how we should be different

Reactions: 8
But couldn't they wear those see through plastic visor things? I know they are not as effective but it would be better than nothing surely. Also in lots of other countries teachers and students are all obliged to wear masks, I don't really see how we should be different
At carpet times we wear nothing as we are placed away. During closer work we can wear either mask or visor. I go for mask more often as visors annoy me and I don’t see them as effective anyway!

Reactions: 4
The head of my kids school sent a message out saying he’s asked teachers to make a decision by 8am tomorrow regarding whether they are going on strike or not (our school isn’t back till Tuesday). So they can have to time figure out staff numbers and whether they can stay open. I support teachers in what ever decision they make.

In other news it snowed a fair bit last night and seemed to be settling, my kids were really excited about going out to play in it this morning. Woke up this morning to find the snow completely gone! 2021 already off to a disappointing start.

Reactions: 11
Something I fail to grasp is people who aren’t worried about catching it. It’s not just about living or dying. So many people have long COVID now which seems to be extremely similar to chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).
I have CFS/ME and it’s literally ruined my life. I am unable to work. My boyfriend is my carer. It has got to the point where I am having to weigh up the pros and cons of getting a mobility aid so that I can actually do things. I wouldn’t wish this upon anybody but I know that so many people will end up in a similar position to myself. I wish that people (especially influencers) who break the rules would consider this. :(
I hope you are ok? I have endometriosis (and have done for years unbeknownst to me). It was undiagnosed until I was on the operating table having a full hysterectomy last year. It also meant I was unable to work due to chronic pain and the psychological issues and practical issues too. Because of this I am aware of living with a life long condition. Plus my husband contracted Covid back in October and has had some long covid symptoms since. I have read quite a lot of articles and follow long covid kids on twitter as I am so worried about the long term effects of covid, especially on children. Who are going to be the working population in years to come. There is just not enough data or knowledge on covid for the long term.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Maybe they could, I’m not sure of the effectiveness of visors. Just trying to give one possible explanation for why teachers of very young children may be asked not to wear masks.

Reactions: 1
At my Primary school we have to wear masks in class. It’s actually really hard to communicate with the kids with them on 😔 I didn’t realise how much so many of us rely on seeing mouths open to help hear and also how much non-verbal communication is lost by having your face covered.

It’s impossible to teach phonics with one on too. It’s hard. I hate wearing it. 😔

• Sad
We've just received the text.
My kids primary school is closed fully tomorrow. Reopening Tues to key worker/vulnerable kids for the rest of the week.

To be updated mid week.

I'm so happy and relieved

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Yep - if you look up 'cytokine storm' you will realise this. It's basically when your immune system turns on you, and being a young person with a strong immune system actually works against you! That was why so many young people died of Spanish Flu.

I find I struggle quite a bit hearing what people are saying under a mask.I don’t have any issues with my hearing but the muffled noise and not being able to see people’s mouths throws me off sometimes. I get why it’s not recommended that teachers of young children wear them but also it feels like teachers are left with no protection. Such a difficult time.

Reactions: 10
I feel for you, chronic illness is awful and misunderstood. However I have absolutely 0 fear of catching covid myself. The main reason being I truly believe if I were susceptible I would have caught it by now - being an NHS worker I’ve been surrounded with it from day 1. It wasn’t until May that our office actually implemented social distancing, before this we were all crammed in a small poorly ventilated office together. Several of my colleagues with whom I’d had close contact came down with it (this was before any sort of procedures were in place for people to isolate). I’ve been seeing patients all along with very flimsy PPE, but because we wear it we are exempt from track and trace. Maybe it’s a defence mechanism because if I had any anxiety about catching it I wouldn’t have been able to do my job? Either way, I’m healthy fit and young. I’ve got a much much higher chance of dying by my own hand than I have of becoming seriously ill from COVID.
Our team always said the same thing, that if we were going to get it we would have by now (or maybe we did get it but asymptomatic) but more and more of us are testing positive and are unwell. I see it as more when not if now

Reactions: 1
I obviously wear masks at work, and even now after months of it, it’s still a struggle. I work with elderly people so you can imagine how hard it is to be heard. Feel like I have to shout a lot, and after 12 hours of mask wearing I end up with a sore, dry throat. Doesn’t help that care homes feel like walking through the fires of hell most of the time. So stuffy.

unrelated (sort of) but this was another issue picked up in Casualty last night - one of the nurses has hearing issues and was struggling with the masks and not being able to lip read. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more of a drive to create masks where you can see mouths (I know there are some but they don’t seem to be massively popular or discussed)!

• Heart
I find I struggle quite a bit hearing what people are saying under a mask.I don’t have any issues with my hearing but the muffled noise and not being able to see people’s mouths throws me off sometimes. I get why it’s not recommended that teachers of young children wear them but also it feels like teachers are left with no protection. Such a difficult time.
When i first started wearing them i would pull myne down to listen to people. No idea why! I do feel i shout more at paitents due to wearing a mask and visor at times.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.