Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Scots will be banned from visiting each other in their own homes from tomorrow, Nicola Sturgeon said today as she reintroduced stringent lockdown rules.

The First Minister said that a 'high proportion' of new cases in the country were linked to transmission within private homes where social distancing and ventilation were more difficult than outdoors or public buildings.

She spoke to MSPs at Holyrood minutes after Boris Johnson has unveiled new lockdown measures in England, saying that his steps did not go far enough and her advice was that it 'will not be sufficient to bring the R number down' north of the border.

I feel like Boris and Nicola just need to shag and get it out of their system.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 24

FakeSmile

VIP Member
I’ve not been posting on these threads for very many of them but even in that time I’ve noticed a shift and that people are getting very confrontational when someone doesn’t agree with them. The thing with a pandemic like this is that everyone’s circumstances are going to be different and therefore it’s always going to be that people are worrying about different things. That doesn’t make someone else’s opinion invalid.

I also agree with other posters that I really wish the government would be more transparent. It’s all the drip feeding information and waiting days/weeks to confirm anything that makes people worry and then start back on panic buying etc. It was far better when they were giving the daily briefing. Even a weekly briefing would be better than what we are getting now at this point.

Reactions: 24

Gembo

VIP Member
Personally I do think Boris has tried hard there to strike the balance between driving down cases but keeping things open. I know some of this will negatively effect people and I do think there are areas where it is ok to use common sense, though strictly not in the rules I think when childcare and mental health are issues it’s ok to do what is necessary in a safe way. I know the government have ballsed a lot up but at the end of the day we do have to live with this virus and I sincerely hope people will follow the rules to the best of their abilities.

The likes of the person who was on here earlier saying they don’t care and will have lock ins and just go back to peoples houses, you are part of the problem. I do believe that Boris does not enjoy putting us under these restrictions. If you are being irresponsible and blatantly ignoring the rules you aren’t sticking two fingers up at Boris, you’re contributing to a potential rise in cases leading to a further lockdown that will cost people’s jobs and lives. We do all have to work together here. Just my thoughts!

Reactions: 23

monga

VIP Member
This is what your believing, it's nothing more than a common cold and yes people can die from it but vast majority live just honestly live your life.
Oh don't worry we have there now as well so won't stop us either and the customers all go to different people's housing to carry on drinking
The term Covidiot was invented for you ! you've obviously got :poop: for brains 🥴

• Haha
  • Heart

Lucyloulucy

Chatty Member
I would love to say to all the people who think it’s all pathetic and rubbish and the restrictions do fuck all

Why don’t you work a week in my shoes as a iccu nurse , give your phone to your patient whose about to go onto a ventilator and say your last goodbyes to their family because they know there’s a good chance they won’t come off it and with visiting banned , good chance they will never see them again
Absolutely, when my dad was in ICU a Consultant rang us with a medical update every afternoon. But it was the nurses who took the middle of the night calls, who let us know at 6am whether he’d had a “good” night as how could we wait till the afternoon official call, who supported us via telephone when they knew we’d had our third end of life call. This went on for 10 weeks and we weren’t the only family they were doing this for. Some people on here are only out to antagonise, I feel sad for them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad

hnoz

VIP Member
On the bright side if I'm going back to working from home and regular covid briefings does this mean I can restart my 4:30pm cocktails?

• Haha

Chloesm

VIP Member
Hi! Long time lurker here and first time poster 👋
I am Italian, but I go to university in England. All my lectures have been moved online, so I'm staying in Italy (at least for semester one).
Anyways after this brief introduction ahah I wanted to say that it really breaks my heart to see how badly the situation is being handled in the UK.

In Italy things were tragic in March/April , we were having the worst covid numbers in Europe and now ironically we have really good ones
What helped us flattering the curve and recover from covid were definitely the strict measures they put us into.
You have no idea of how tough our lockdown has been. It started on the 9th of march (and I was still in England, I'm not going to tell you my whole story on how I managed to go back to Italy 😂) and it ended on the 18th of May!!
What we couldn't do:
-No household mixing, no bubbles or whatsoever. Even if someone was living alone, that person could not visit anyone else. My nan stayed home by herself on Easter Day for example
- We weren't even allowed to exercise outdoors. You could not leave the house except for food shopping and to go to the pharmacy. And well also key workers could
- Every time you left the house for those purposes you had to carry an auto-certification document where you have to declare who were you and where you were going and what was the purpose
-Masks were compulsory both outside and inside
-School / unis online
-And police stops were placed all over the cities. You literally have no idea of how much we were controlled and how many people got fined. The controlling system has been super effective. There were even helicopters flying to control the city from up above, I'm not kidding.
Not gonna lie, it was hard. It was the longest spring we've ever had but definitely it has helped us to get where we are now.
If you would like I can make a post on what the measures that we are following are now!

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Went to the testing place. My daughter was sick in a bag after I swabbed her throat And she wouldn’t let me swab her nostril properly. Absolutely awful, but I remained calm which helped her stay calm and she was so brave. I hope I never have to put her through that again. Gonna be a long 24-48 hours. Gut feeling is that it’ll be negative but we are all isolating until we know.

As for parents only wanting kids back in school for “sanity”, that’s just being deliberately inflammatory based on a couple of jokey/tongue in cheek comments. I don’t give a monkeys what they do in Finland, their culture is totally different to ours.

• Sad
  • Heart

Hello_Vera

My Gran is in her 90s she rang me today to say no one can visit her complex and she’s asked us to come to her window to see her again before lockdown. It made me cry, she really struggled in lockdown with loneliness and it broke my heart.

• Sad
  • Heart

Doc

VIP Member
I’ve always felt NYE to be an anticlimax, now at least I can justify saying it will be shit and I’m staying in 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

JodieGreen123

VIP Member
Oh right, Still though 3,500+ children infected this week 🙁 I don’t want this fake tweet to become someones reality...
Why do you keep trying to antagonise people on this thread? Hardly anyone is taking the bait so just grow the fuck up. If you still feel the need to keep posting stuff in here, at least fact check it.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
If you have to get someone to walk your dog because you’re isolating, wouldn’t they have to come into the house to get the dog? Unless you do some sort of ‘hand over’ at the door. Surely that’s more risky than going somewhere secluded to walk the dog yourself.

I’m glad I have a cat who walks himself😆

• Haha

xoxo GG

VIP Member
Mother nature if it is, I can't stop anyone from dieing if it happens
But yet you might be the reason somebody dies because you think it’s alright to hold shitty pub lock ins because you’re gonna be told to shut at 10 🤡 that ain’t mother nature that’s blatant ignorance and a selfish attitude.

• Heart

Meh

Chatty Member
One major, glaringly missing element of his speech...

NO mention of testing capacity (current) and no mention of the effectiveness of English track and trace system.

He detailed the areas that we are strong in: ppe, beds, new hospitals etc. But no mention of the “world beating” system. 🙄

Speaks volumes.

JLXRD

VIP Member
im sorry you are sad today, i still believe the media doesnt help, maybe take a break from it all, do something else, read a nice book or have a bath or something? I really dont like it that people are so scared, its very understandable, try and stay positive, maybe you just having a down day , we all have them virus or not x
Thank you...I’m trying to think positive. I have actually just got out the bath and am about to start my new book.. do you have cameras in my house? 😂

but no in all seriousness, sometimes this thread is great to discuss things and means I don’t bombard my husband with my internal coronavirus commentary but I think it gets tough when we get to a point where there’s a lot of speculation.

I’m an optimist in every sense and I truly believe this too shall pass, so I think I find it hard to read people speculating this could be our lives from now on, or we will be in another lockdown for months. I just don’t want to entertain those thoughts.

I know it’s different strokes for different folks and that expecting the worst is other people’s coping mechanism though, so I get it. Lately it seems like there are more people who are pessimistic here than optimistic though, so it means I struggle a bit more to stay balanced. Just have to keep pushing on.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Northeast1988

VIP Member
People have to die at some stage, whether it is covid, heart attacks it's mother nature. Don't fuck everyone over by ruining the economy and people's enjoyment for life it's short anyway.
Let’s hope if you have children , they don’t die before you and people say to you - well they gotta die at some point

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Cases might be up but you know shits got real when we’ve almost milled through a thread a day 😐

the Covid 19 - a Mrs Hinch thread on acid 😏

• Haha

nobrains

Did anyone watch David Attenborough's extinction? They believe that pandemics like this will become a regular occurrence with up to 5 a year (I think that's what he said) it's all due to us making animals extinct through deforestation etc. Basically we are killing the large animals who keep the diseased rats/bats under control so the diseases get out of hand and cause pandemics in the human population.

Basically mankind are going to destroy the earth and everything on it eventually.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 20

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
I can’t answer the poll and I love a poll.
I’ve said before, I am a compliant pleb, so will lock down if told to do so, but not sure I fancy it, or think it’ll work. If schools remain open and they only close hospitality businesses, it won’t feel much different to me as I don’t eat out, nor do I do much socially indoors at hospitality places.

I feel ok physically and mentally. Odd spikes of anxiety, which is perfectly normal given we are in the middle of a pandemic. I worry for my health and the health of my family, young and old, but again, I try not to get too wrapped up in something that hasn’t happened yet.

This thread has been a help to me. I like the mix of opinions and experiences, although sometimes can be anxiety provoking. I can see why it can be quite anxiety provoking if someone’s mental health is fragile.

I try to remain hopeful that one day this will be a distant memory. I’m keeping my head down and ploughing through this and hoping to god it gets better soon. As I said in thread 49, I believe the govt need to be more transparent. They do not have a magic wand, no. They cannot make this virus disappear, but I think the should be clearer with advice/guidance and definitely get the tests and labs up and running.

• Heart
Reactions: 20