Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Doctor_Wibble

VIP Member
But if they piss off everyone, they will only continue to lose support so...still doesn't make sense to me? I remember when Greta said you have to piss people off and I felt she was barking up the wrong tree, and I don't have the problem with her that some do.
I think they just didn't get the difference between that and getting people to take notice.

Has there been any explanation of the reasoning behind messing up a snooker table? That one just left me wondering WTF snooker had done to anyone.

Reactions: 1
Hope he stays there . My old friend was an eco nut and also a insulate britain protestor.. I bet he’s taken up this crusade too.

When I saw this thread title I came on here to say how brilliant I think he is. He’s articulated it so well and I know this’ll sound problematic but isn’t as “other” as a lot of the notorious campaigners have been - eg plumby accent, pink hair, bottles of urine. I think he’s provided the most compelling argument and in the least repulsive way which is what we as a society need to change minds…

IngressUK

VIP Member
is that a per capita reading? More people and industry (well, not all, but some industries…) will raise that obviously. And with Germany shutting down the nuclear plants, other stuff gets burned, which was just a stupid move, if you ask me.
What really disturbed me is those near east countries burning oil like there’s truly no tomorrow for shite. Let’s be honest. Nobody needed that football stadium in the effing desert.
That was th
is that a per capita reading? More people and industry (well, not all, but some industries…) will raise that obviously. And with Germany shutting down the nuclear plants, other stuff gets burned, which was just a stupid move, if you ask me.
What really disturbed me is those near east countries burning oil like there’s truly no tomorrow for shite. Let’s be honest. Nobody needed that football stadium in the effing desert.
We produce 341.5 Megatons compared to China's 11.6 Gigatons and the U.S's 4.5 Gigatons annually.

• Wow

neroli

VIP Member
It seems like the majority of "activism" (not just for climate, for all kinds of things) these days is aggressive people screaming "THIS IS BAD" and "YOU'RE EVIL!!!!" on social media, and feeling self-righteous by turning up to "protests" but not actually doing anything helpful to create change. Because that would require hard work and intelligence, and you wouldn't get the virtue signalling points on social media for doing vital background work, nor the thrill of causing trouble.
Well said. The desire to create anger appears to be the driving force with these career activists. Rather than give them attention maybe their actions should be played down, treated as predictable and not commented on any further? They are not helping their cause at all.All rather pathetic rather than "revolutionary". Instilling fear into vulnerable young people and revving up the climate anxiety "therapists/psychologists" who want to seize the moment and make big bucks.

bubbadabut

VIP Member
I completely understand Range Rover lady's struggles, but it would be nice if she contributed to her road use by paying her vehicle tax. Per various Twitter sources, it's been unpaid since June 2021 🙈

WilmaHun

VIP Member
Absolutely not.

A substance like acid I would most definately draw the line at.

However much of this has been brought on by the lack of action taken by our Police Force. If they moved these protesters on within a matter of minutes, not hours, then much of this conflict could be avoided.
I agree. There is much more that could be done, however I guess when you're an outsider looking in that's very easy to say. I assume the police are surrounded by much red tape which prevents them doing what we'd all so love them to do, which is just move them on and tell them to bugger off!

Yel

Chatty Member
Jesus, this seems a world apart from all the other stuff. At least milk spilt can just be cleaned up in a few minutes.

I don't think they'll get off this lightly

Just Stop Oil activists throw tomato soup on Van Gogh's Sunflowers and glue themselves to the wall at the National Gallery
  • Police have arrested two women after Van Gogh's Sunflowers painting had Heinz tomato soup thrown on it
  • The incident took place at London's National Gallery this morning and was filmed by shocked art lovers
  • The 19th-century painting, estimated to be worth at least £76 million, was 'unharmed' police have said
  • Protesters Phoebe Plummer, 21, and Anna Holland, 20, were arrested by police after the demonstration
  • The pair of Just Stop Oil climate activists had glued themselves to the floor and had to be freed by police

• Angry

Doctor_Wibble

VIP Member
25 bank street? I used to work there
Sorry, not sure - saw it on the news and either they didn't specify or I was already turning back to what I had been doing - having decided it was pointless vandalism and therefore probably also muttering something including but not limited to 'FFS'.

Also, I could have found the answer in less time than it took to type this 🤦‍♀️

NeverEnough

VIP Member
Kier Starmer has come out and said that he supports these moves and they would not be repealed under a future Labour Government.

Something has to be done.

As it currently stands there will be serious escalations in the future, whereby fed up members of the public WILL take the law into their own hands to deal with this continual disruption. Just Stop Oil are just causing a war with the general public.

If the idiotic Deputy Commissioner of the Met Police doesn't want the public to step in and do the job of the Police, then they need to step up and deal with these idiots blocking the roads and spraying buildings. Moving them on immediately, no more of this 'softly Softly' crap that isn't working. Lawlessness of the protesters is being dealt with by lawlessness from the public.

I think it is high time that some of these businesses that have been sprayed with orange paint took Just Stop Oil to court to claim damages and compensation. It isn't right that they should have to stump up clean up costs. Just Stop Oil should be paying for those costs.

These idiots aren't peacefully protesting. They are causing the public uneccesary hassle and causing criminal damage to property.
Whereas I agree with the sentiment I think it will be hell difficult to sue Just Stop Oil as I doubt they are an incorporated entity with an identifiable ownership or management structure. Who therefore would you actually sue? I suppose you could seek damages from the individuals involved as a proxy, but do you really really want to create martyrs and be the big business victimising the underdog? Because that is how it will be portrayed and in the age of crowd funding that's at least 200k in a defence fund.

At lot of these companies have boxed themselves into a corner by making numerous virtue signalling statements about their green credentials. Not a good look if one hand your website is screaming sustainability on on the other you are suing people who on their day in court will argue that is what they are protesting about.