Christmas Watch 2022 #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What’s everyones thoughts on workplace secret santa?

I really don’t want to take part this year, all I ever get is a generic present with little thought and I’d much rather spend £10 on items for the local food bank instead for people actually in need. I just know I’ll be seen as a grinch even though I love Christmas, and I’ll have everyone in my ear all of December asking why I’m not taking part.
We have agreed to do a giving tree where we buy something each for the local children's charity who give Christmas presents to needy kids. It felt in much better taste than buying random tat.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
You're always allowed to say no! My youngest sister has vowed to not take part in anymore secret santas with people she doesn't know. She spent the full £10 and got back cheap colouring pencils.

Save presents for people you're close to.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Tempted to go have a look in my local sainsburys as I need new pjs and primark is so overpriced now🤦🏻‍♀️
I bought my daughter some Christmas pjs she wanted over the weekend £26 for bottoms and top I couldn’t believe it 🫠.

We have agreed to do a giving tree where we buy something each for the local children's charity who give Christmas presents to needy kids. It felt in much better taste than buying random tat.
That is so lovely ❤❤

Reactions: 1
Leggings and a Christmas jumper, I’ll be 6 months pregnant this year and deprived of my Prosecco and smoked salmon as well as feeling large so I think it’ll be oversized everything for me 😂
Same here, I’m already having tantrums over the lack of cheese board (it’s just not the same without Brie!)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I didn't know that smoked salmon wasn't allowed. Mackerel pate?

Sparkling apple juice perhaps? Lidl do these really nice organic ginger shots (they're quite fierce!!) which go well with sparkling water

It's interesting that the advice of brie is different per country. Some say it's totally fine if it's made from pasteurized milk (as most is) and others say it should be avoided.

Although they all say it's fine if cooked?

Is Pasteurized Brie Safe During Pregnancy?

Different countries have different guidelines on the safety of brie and whether it’s OK if it’s pasteurized. These are:

In the UK, women are advised not to eat brie when pregnant because it’s a soft, mold-ripened cheese (source: NHS). This is the case even if it’s made with pasteurized milk.

In Canada, it’s the same – women are told to avoid all soft cheeses like brie, even if they’re pasteurized (Source: Canadian Govt.)

In the USA, the FDA says that you can eat brie safely during pregnancy, but only if it’s made with pasteurized milk (source: FDA).

In Australia pregnant women are advised to avoid brie, even if it’s pasteurized (source: Food Standards Australia)

In New Zealand, pregnant women are advised that “generally” they shouldn’t eat large quantities of uncooked brie but it’s OK if made with pasteurized milk (source: New Zealand Food Safety).

What about France, the home of brie itself? The French government says brie is OK when pregnant as long as it’s made with pasteurized milk (source: French Department of Agriculture).

Reactions: 2
Leggings and a Christmas jumper, I’ll be 6 months pregnant this year and deprived of my Prosecco and smoked salmon as well as feeling large so I think it’ll be oversized everything for me 😂
I definitely recommend some no alcohol prosecco
I got this one as a gift and it was really nice, obviously doesn’t compare to real deal, but made it feel special having it in a fizz glass! can get it on Amazon

C2DB8605-4D48-4FDC-86B2-6F64C21E7EA9.jpeg

• Heart
I didn't know that smoked salmon wasn't allowed. Mackerel pate?

Sparkling apple juice perhaps? Lidl do these really nice organic ginger shots (they're quite fierce!!) which go well with sparkling water
Pate is a no of any type! Even vegetable.

Smoked salmon is technically ok but in the UK a atm advised against because there’s some concerns about salmonella and listeria outbreaks so better safe than sorry!

It's interesting that the advice of brie is different per country. Some say it's totally fine if it's made from pasteurized milk (as most is) and others say it should be avoided.

Although they all say it's fine if cooked?

Is Pasteurized Brie Safe During Pregnancy?

Different countries have different guidelines on the safety of brie and whether it’s OK if it’s pasteurized. These are:

In the UK, women are advised not to eat brie when pregnant because it’s a soft, mold-ripened cheese (source: NHS). This is the case even if it’s made with pasteurized milk.

In Canada, it’s the same – women are told to avoid all soft cheeses like brie, even if they’re pasteurized (Source: Canadian Govt.)

In the USA, the FDA says that you can eat brie safely during pregnancy, but only if it’s made with pasteurized milk (source: FDA).

In Australia pregnant women are advised to avoid brie, even if it’s pasteurized (source: Food Standards Australia)

In New Zealand, pregnant women are advised that “generally” they shouldn’t eat large quantities of uncooked brie but it’s OK if made with pasteurized milk (source: New Zealand Food Safety).

What about France, the home of brie itself? The French government says brie is OK when pregnant as long as it’s made with pasteurized milk (source: French Department of Agriculture).
Yep, welcome to the world of pregnancy - everything contradicts itself and nothing is right 😂 in some countries (France and Japan spring to mind) a small glass of wine every now and again is recommended - the NHS recommends absolutely no alcohol at any point. Part of it I think is food hygiene standard differences across countries and some of it is just attitudes and risk approaches.

saw quite a lot of decent gift sets in tkmaxx yesterday which are online too - body shop, elemis, liz earle etc

Noticed the London/Winter Wonderland chat and wondered if anyone has any festive recommendations for London? We go for a night or two every December and have done the usual stuff - winter wonderland etc. I love a look around Harrods, don't buy anything as I'm not made of money but do usually treat us to a coffee and mince pie in the food hall (and then remortgage the house to pay for it!)

re. non alcoholic drinks, i usually have j20 or cranberry juice tbh. never drank though so don't ever feel like i'm missing out. just been to sainsbury's and in the chilled juice aisle / by the milk they had a mulled winter spice juice which looked good!

1669220378405.png

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone got Xmas trees up yet ? Just done mine would love to see everyone’s pics 🎄🥰

Decorated a tree and decided where to put it but I've covered it up until December🤞
Booked myself into some festive activities also for the first time (non party or alcohol).