Childfree

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was at the park today with my friend and we walked past this little boy who caught a fish . My friend (she has 3 kids, almost grown) and I were both like “yay good job buddy”. So I do like to be nice to kids, but it also reinforces how thankful I am that I was not their mother sitting there looking bored. We kept walking and got waffle fries with cheese and funnel cake fries and didn’t have to share with our kids or clean up after them. It’s lovely only being responsible for ME

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Does anyone else get the fan flutters for people in the public eye who have no children (whether or not it is known if it is a conscious choice)?
Watching Line of Duty over my husband's shoulder and his obsessive Wikipedia habit informed me Vicky McClure has no children and is just a smidge older than me. She also seems really cool in general.

I guess it is just basic representation isn't it really? Maybe I'm feeling it more now I am more solid in my decision to not have children.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Does anyone else get the fan flutters for people in the public eye who have no children (whether or not it is known if it is a conscious choice)?
Watching Line of Duty over my husband's shoulder and his obsessive Wikipedia habit informed me Vicky McClure has no children and is just a smidge older than me. She also seems really cool in general.

I guess it is just basic representation isn't it really? Maybe I'm feeling it more now I am more solid in my decision to not have children.
Yes totally agree with this

Reactions: 8

Yes, makes you feel less outcasted.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Me and my partner are away for the weekend and went for breakfast this morning. There was a couple with a boy near us he was probably about 3, screaming through the meal and throwing his toys everywhere. All I wanted was a nice relaxing coffee and brekky. When we left my bf was like god I couldn't think of anything worse 😂

Reactions: 19
Me and my partner are away for the weekend and went for breakfast this morning. There was a couple with a boy near us he was probably about 3, screaming through the meal and throwing his toys everywhere. All I wanted was a nice relaxing coffee and brekky. When we left my bf was like god I couldn't think of anything worse 😂
See this is why i hate parents.

The 3 year old knows no better and can't express himself adequately. However the parents should be doing everything to reassure him and, most importantly, shut him up!!!

Reactions: 10
I hate it when parents take a big group of kids out for a birthday and then don’t sit anywhere near them, they’re literally your responsibility and if you can’t even bear to sit in the same row as these kids then why the hell do you think anyone else wants to? I would definitely pay more for the cinema, theatre etc for adult only screenings, no idea why this isn’t a thing yet
Haha, I have kids and would pay for this too!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t remember EVER behaving like this, nor did my siblings. I feel like it’s only been a thing since the late 90s/early 2000s.

I think part of that is going out to eat has become more normalised and not a special treat as chain restaurants & cafes have boomed - so, essentially, you see far more young kids in those places than you used to. Fair enough I guess.

But also? It’s like some parents (emphasis on some) just do not give a tit if their child disturbs others. I totally appreciate that some children are difficult, and every kid has loud moments, but I just think back in the day, the parents would have immediately taken the child home rather than allowed their behaviour to ruin every other guest’s time. My parents would have shamed me into silence 😂

It’s that totally lax attitude of some parents that annoys me. Just a little bit of awareness goes such a long way! A little nod, an apology, just a recognition that I (and others) exist and we don’t enjoy your screaming kid helps so much. Just because a parent is used to it and can ignore it doesn’t mean everyone else in the venue isn’t thoroughly fed up by their noise!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t remember EVER behaving like this, nor did my siblings. I feel like it’s only been a thing since the late 90s/early 2000s.

I think part of that is going out to eat has become more normalised and not a special treat as chain restaurants & cafes have boomed - so, essentially, you see far more young kids in those places than you used to. Fair enough I guess.

But also? It’s like some parents (emphasis on some) just do not give a tit if their child disturbs others. I totally appreciate that some children are difficult, and every kid has loud moments, but I just think back in the day, the parents would have immediately taken the child home rather than allowed their behaviour to ruin every other guest’s time. My parents would have shamed me into silence 😂

It’s that totally lax attitude of some parents that annoys me. Just a little bit of awareness goes such a long way! A little nod, an apology, just a recognition that I (and others) exist and we don’t enjoy your screaming kid helps so much. Just because a parent is used to it and can ignore it doesn’t mean everyone else in the venue isn’t thoroughly fed up by their noise!
If I was screaming at a restaurant with my parents they would feel so ashamed and would leave. However people let their kids do way too much these days.

Also, I don't know if it's a 2000s things but back then when kids threw a tantrum other parents would step in to help calm the child or scold him/her. I saw it quite frequently growing up. But now, people would never allow another person to step in. Even though the child may be disturbing everyone.

Reactions: 13
Tell me about it, me and my husband went to a very fancy place for lunch last weekend, and part way through the table next to us came, with their baby and toddler in a giant pushchair which was basically at our table, they were so loud and annoying, and it was so not a place for children/babies 🙈

Reactions: 7
See this is why i hate parents.

The 3 year old knows no better and can't express himself adequately. However the parents should be doing everything to reassure him and, most importantly, shut him up!!!
We said this too! He looked so bored. He wasn't eating either, just the parents having their breakfast so he must have been restless.

Reactions: 5
Too many parents want to be friends with their kids. Your aren’t their friend, you are their parent, so parent them!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Reading this thread with interest. I did go over to the dark side and have kids. Most of my friends were quite shocked when I did. But some life events made me realise I did want kids. Quite a change from wanting sterilised in my 20s and taking the morning after pill on a few ooopps occasions.

I never expect anyone to want or have children. It pisses me off when people are dicks about it. Other people's bodies and relationships are none of your business. And yeah, there are times I miss my pre-kids life. I struggled with the parent life culture where kids are expected to go everywhere. I got some side eye for the times I said I didn't want to take my kids to a stage show when they were 6 months old 🙄 Or to see Santa before they were 3 (although will probably have to take my youngest to make sure their sibling still believes 😖).

I hope this post doesn't cross the line but there are many parents out there, like myself, who do love their own children but cannot stand other peoples.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I was at a family birthday yesterday, and it was nice spending time with my nieces and nephews (and giving them back). When I was asked about changing a nappy, I said, "I'm opting out of this, thanks," and nothing else was said \o/

Reactions: 14

Representation is so important.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I agree. I can’t understand why so many children these days are so pampered and worshipped? I was born in 95 and I certainly wasn’t, if I stepped out of line I got a slap… my mum only had to look at me usually to get me to behave…
These days it just feels like so many children get so much, whenever they want and what they want and parents are so attentive to making sure they are happy all the time. It’s like parents are scared to let their child feel sadness or disappointment? And so many parents seem to be scared of their children having tantrums.

I said it in another post, but I find it shocking when I’m out and about and there’s so many kids hitting their parents and calling them stupid and screaming. It’s not acceptable, I never hit my parents, I wouldn’t dare and I wouldn’t dream of calling them stupid either.

there’s a generation of spoilt, selfish, entitled and self centred little brats being raised and it is sad. Obviously not all children are like this, but so many do seem to be and I do feel like attitudes towards children have changed massively.

when I was a kid, if we were naughty in school, we got punished, nowadays they get special classes and lots of understanding…

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I used to have some friends who have since divorced, but they raised their baby on the assumption that if his needs were not being met 100%, then they were going to cause him irreparable psychological damage. A group of us went to the pub when this kid was a toddler - he was throwing stuff, parents were like, "Can you pick up your shoes mate? Can you say hello, buddy?" (Mate, buddy :rolleyes:) and when he went to pull the blinds off a window, a friend - not his parent, took him away and said, "No, you don't break things." This kid howled in a rage, because it was one of the only times anyone had given him a boundary of any kind.

They've had no end of problems with him at school - refusing to wear the uniform, disrespecting teachers, refusing to do homework etc. They then started seeking a medical label for his behaviour, refusing to acknowledge he was a product of the permissive environment they had raised him in. They did not get the medical labels they desired.

A lot of our friendships are with childfree people anyway, but out of the parents we know, they are their parents and their children are the children - not their pals, mates or the centre of the universe.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I used to have some friends who have since divorced, but they raised their baby on the assumption that if his needs were not being met 100%, then they were going to cause him irreparable psychological damage. A group of us went to the pub when this kid was a toddler - he was throwing stuff, parents were like, "Can you pick up your shoes mate? Can you say hello, buddy?" (Mate, buddy :rolleyes:) and when he went to pull the blinds off a window, a friend - not his parent, took him away and said, "No, you don't break things." This kid howled in a rage, because it was one of the only times anyone had given him a boundary of any kind.

They've had no end of problems with him at school - refusing to wear the uniform, disrespecting teachers, refusing to do homework etc. They then started seeking a medical label for his behaviour, refusing to acknowledge he was a product of the permissive environment they had raised him in. They did not get the medical labels they desired.

A lot of our friendships are with childfree people anyway, but out of the parents we know, they are their parents and their children are the children - not their pals, mates or the centre of the universe.
I am of the opinion that children and animals need to be treated the same. Clear boundaries, black and white, right and wrong.

Reactions: 11

This is an issue that I had with my ex-boyfriend. We decided to babysit his little brother to see if we could handle a child. He would let the child do everything he wanted. Every time I would say no and impose boundaries the child would scream because no one imposed boundaries before. This is was a huge incompatibility problem for us.

Kids can easily respect boundaries if you teach them.

Also, too many parents call their kids "actives" or "energetics". No, your child is just not well educated.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.