Childfree

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Omg, I feel this so much. Someone in my family has a 2 year old - so not even a baby anymore - and the other day I got a text saying ‘wow what a big boy X is, he did a wee in his potty!’ With an image…I was thinking no, surely they didn’t send me a picture of this child’s urine in a potty? Yep, they did. Honestly, completely bizarre behaviour
Reply with a poop photo, they'll never do it again

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
How can I stop my immediate (inner!) reaction when I see another friend announce their pregnancy being “that’s a shame” 😂 Like I am genuinely happy for them but it always feels like that’s one less friend I have now. So utterly selfish of me. I just can’t imagine anything other than sheer terror at seeing a positive test. Sometimes I feel like an alien - women are meant to want kids, what is wrong with me!
Mine is to roll my eyes. Its ok reading on socials, or hearing via text, but in person I have to really control myself 🤣

Read this this morning. Kinda terrifying if it's true. So relieved to be childfree if this is genuinely the way we are headed (honestly the planet was one of my reason's not to, but wasn't expecting it this soon)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Omg, I feel this so much. Someone in my family has a 2 year old - so not even a baby anymore - and the other day I got a text saying ‘wow what a big boy X is, he did a wee in his potty!’ With an image…I was thinking no, surely they didn’t send me a picture of this child’s urine in a potty? Yep, they did. Honestly, completely bizarre behaviour. I get that every parent thinks their kid is the cutest thing since sliced bread but SURELY they cannot think we all want to see this kind of thing? What on earth goes through these people’s heads…I will never understand it.
One incident that really stood out to me was when someone in an old workplace had a baby. She was very senior but also really friendly and I really looked up to her, she was a real career woman. Anyway when she was shortly coming back from mat leave, she brought the baby in to see us. And this amazing professional career woman stood happily chatting away to us, not noticing at ALL that her baby had just puked all down her arm. She didn’t even flicker. Someone else pointed it out to her. And I just thought yeah…that life is really not for me.
Oh, god, I always hated when people brought their babies in and you (or at least, let’s be fair - just the women of the office :rolleyes:) were expected to stand around in a circle and coo over how cute they were whilst the men got on with their work. Sorry, no, I’m bloody busy too.

I have two stories relating to that which stick out: one where someone’s kid puked on their arm and down their (bare leg) and she just rubbed it in. Like body lotion :sick:. And continued speaking as if nothing had happened. And another the baby pooped everywhere including on a desk and chair and she didn’t clean it up properly so when she left there was still poo on the furniture.

A hard nope from me.

• Sick
Reactions: 21
Oh, god, I always hated when people brought their babies in and you (or at least, let’s be fair - just the women of the office :rolleyes:) were expected to stand around in a circle and coo over how cute they were whilst the men got on with their work. Sorry, no, I’m bloody busy too.

I have two stories relating to that which stick out: one where someone’s kid puked on their arm and down their (bare leg) and she just rubbed it in. Like body lotion :sick:. And continued speaking as if nothing had happened. And another the baby pooped everywhere including on a desk and chair and she didn’t clean it up properly so when she left there was still poo on the furniture.

A hard nope from me.
Oh god someone brought their baby into my old workplace and we had to do the usual hoo-ha stand around and coo. One of the other girls (not the mum) took the baby for a cuddle, which is fine. But the colleague holding the baby then singled me out, said "mcfeez do you want a hold too?" and I just said no really quickly and quietly and left to go to the loo. It felt so awkward. If I wanted to hold it, I'd offer!

Reactions: 13
Oh god someone brought their baby into my old workplace and we had to do the usual hoo-ha stand around and coo. One of the other girls (not the mum) took the baby for a cuddle, which is fine. But the colleague holding the baby then singled me out, said "mcfeez do you want a hold too?" and I just said no really quickly and quietly and left to go to the loo. It felt so awkward. If I wanted to hold it, I'd offer!
I hate when people bring their babies in to work (and dogs but that’s another story 😂 ) unless it’s someone i’m actually friends with I’ll just stay at my desk while everyone else rushes over to coo at the baby. I look like some old miserable witch 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I know my limitations as a person. Blood, guts gore even in real life has little effect on me. But stuff from noses, mouths and bums and mushy food/messy eating gives me a silent boak
I can cope with it when it happens professionally but at home even the Taskmaster task where they have to get the banana in the bottle I end up gagging.
The mushy foo/messy eating is obviously part and parcel of babies and toddlers and so I figure it's another thing to stick in the box of Don't Have Kids (Because You'll Keep Gagging At Them.)

Reactions: 6
I know my limitations as a person. Blood, guts gore even in real life has little effect on me. But stuff from noses, mouths and bums and mushy food/messy eating gives me a silent boak
I can cope with it when it happens professionally but at home even the Taskmaster task where they have to get the banana in the bottle I end up gagging.
The mushy foo/messy eating is obviously part and parcel of babies and toddlers and so I figure it's another thing to stick in the box of Don't Have Kids (Because You'll Keep Gagging At Them.)
Same! I can honestly deal with back end stuff no problem (poo, pee etc 😂 ) but mouth stuff uggghh I can’t even watch some people eat, and if I see a baby playing with food and getting it everywhere I want to throw up.

Reactions: 5
I have worked with kids for the last 20 years, mainly under 5s. It has only cemented my desire to remain child free if I'm honest because 99% of the time I find it boring. As I get older I find it harder to be the smiley happy OTT kind of person you need to be to work with kids! There's only so many pretend cups of tea I can drink and I'm finding it harder to find new and exciting activities to do with them because I feel like I've done everything to death. Desperately in need of a new job!

Reactions: 8
I hate when people bring their babies in to work (and dogs but that’s another story 😂 ) unless it’s someone i’m actually friends with I’ll just stay at my desk while everyone else rushes over to coo at the baby. I look like some old miserable witch 😂
See, you’d have to wrestle a puppy away from me. But a baby I won’t go near 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
In my mind, there's very few people I'd hug at work, so why the hell would I bring in my baby to be held by some random from account. If you have friends at work, they can see your baby outside the office

I had a colleague who was the first person in history to have had a baby. I was dreading her coming into work. Everyone was fawning over her, I honestly don't know why they indulged her nonsense. None of the men had to do any cooing. I managed to get out of it by attending to an urgent task.

1 million percent yes!!! They all moan moan moan then try and encourage us to have kids just because misery loves company
Yep, I have an auntie who complained to my mother about me being childfree. My mom called me and said "at least my daughter doesn't have 6 kids from 3 different fathers before the age of 30".

• Haha
Reactions: 12
When my oldest brother (who is an hole anyway) had his first child he made me hold her while he zoomed in on me with his video camera. Classic family footage of 17 year old me saying "Why isn't she purring?" followed by my brother calling me a fuckwit and the scene ending. I'm in my mid fifties now and still find myself awkwardly patting babies and toddlers. My niece grew up to be a lovely, accomplished woman so I'm pretty sure no harm was done that day 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I promise I'm not using this thread as free therapy (I've been over the Childfree thing with my actual CBT person) but just getting an email for Lottie Dolls (I bought my nieces some a few years ago) nearly had me in tears. For some reason toys, teddies...especially if they are a bit weird or broken just sets me off. Teddies always have done, I'm one of those people who always had the bears with misplaced eyes but I never had any connection with dolls. It's even plastic inanimate toys now....I especially get that when I see children's toys being thrown out on bin day. I think it is some weird hybrid of Toy Story and consumer waste?
In my work where there are a lot of children's toys and I'm generally OK but in my own home I just couldn't have all that stuff around me every day!

I'm fine, honestly :cool:

• Heart
I think the signs were there with me from being a small child - my parents found a doll some poor misguided soul had bought me buried in the sandpit in the back garden… 😂 Nobody was that surprised that I didn’t want children.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I think the signs were there with me from being a small child - my parents found a doll some poor misguided soul had bought me buried in the sandpit in the back garden… 😂 Nobody was that surprised that I didn’t want children.
Ahh see according to my dad I must want children as I played with dollies as a child 🙄

• Haha
I buried my dolls as well. Made a graveyard for them out of cardboard and all. I was a strange child but I think that was just an early interest in morbid topics and heavy metal.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.