Childfree by choice #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm 42. One of my school friends has a 'child' aged 18. The youngest child of a close friend is nearly 2.

Reactions: 3
I’m 32! My friends’ kids are about 6
and under but I’m lucky to have a lot of childfree/less friends 💙

Personally, I don’t get posting pictures of your kid on social media. Surely just send the pics directly to people who ask for them/care?!

Reactions: 7
I'm 37. All of my friends that are of similar age and have kids, the kids range from 1 to 15 years old! I have older childfree friends, but none my age.

Reactions: 4
I'm 40. Having a midlife crisis at the mo but the one thing I'm relieved about is that it hasn't made me broody or panic over my ticking body clock! I'm just counting the years till menopause🤣

I can totally relate to body image issues, I was quite overweight until I was 30 and lost over 5 stones which left me with lots of saggy bits. I still have issues over my stomach and how big it looks so pregnancy would tip me over the edge. I get all stressed about how I look when I bloat from eating pasta because I look pregnant!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m 28 😄 none of my friends have kids but I think some of them want them. I think ( in Ireland anyway) a lot of people are having kids later or not at all

Reactions: 8
Everyone seems shocked I don’t have them, I’m sick of all this “you don’t know love” and “it’s the best thing ever!” shite! Well no, it’s not to people who don’t want them! I’m made to feel as less of a person or made to feel a failure because I don’t have them! It’s infuriating!
And it’s also infuriating how my friends don’t ask if I want them or not they just all assume I do (because I forgot that apparently everyone does!) One friend is 13 weeks pregnant and she keeps saying “you need to hurry up!” and “it’s your turn next!” And also that I need to hurry up and if I hurry they would be in the same school year? Why say all that shite? She’s not even bothered to ever ask so it could be that I can’t get pregnant and it’s insensitive of her to be saying things like that! Just pure selfish!
I got engaged at 24 and so many of my friends kicked off and warned me against it, said it’s a huge commitment, I’m young, blah blah blah… while they already had kids and some were then also single parents?
Sorry but engagement and even marriage is nowhere NEAR as big a commitment as a child. Like an actual human and then you’re tied to the other parent for life! Engagements you can cancel and marriages you can get annulled/divorced. I know what I’d rather!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I'm 38 and happily childfree married since 2009😊😊😊. Every once in a while my husband and I look at each other and one of us says "I'm so glad we don't have kids."

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I’m almost 31. None of my close friends have kids, nor do any of my work friends who are my age. Many girls in my school year had kids in their early 20s (one or two when we were still at school) then there seemed to be a bit of a lull, then another spike in the last couple of years. Both of my best friends from childhood are quite concerned with having a baby in the next couple of years/finding a man to have said baby with and I just can’t relate. They’re totally understanding of my not having kids, but I do wonder if we’ll be as close when they do have kids/when they get increasingly broody.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
My friend with 2 kids fell out with me because I don’t have as much time for her anymore, I work 6 days a week at 60+ hours a week… but hey, it must be nice to sit at home all day! (She has no job and never has). I’m not even bothered anymore, I was so angry at first at how pathetic she was being. Then I realised she has more of a problem than I do! I barely have time for myself 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m 26, so I’m quite young really! But I know I don’t want kids, they just don’t suit my life. I am married too, but it’s just a no!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m 26, so I’m quite young really! But I know I don’t want kids, they just don’t suit my life. I am married too, but it’s just a no!
My husband initially wanted kids in the unreflected way many men do. I told him I never want children and over the years told him to imagine having to take care of a child when he was especially knackered from work. That did the trick. He was one of the people who never actually thought if he wants a child, it was for him simply something you do when you grow up. I made him think about the bigger picture and now he is almost more adverse to having children than I am. If that is even possible🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My husband initially wanted kids in the unreflected way many men do. I told him I never want children and over the years told him to imagine having to take care of a child when he was especially knackered from work. That did the trick. He was one of the people who never actually thought if he wants a child, it was for him simply something you do when you grow up. I made him think about the bigger picture and now he is almost more adverse to having children than I am. If that is even possible🤪🤪🤪🤪
Omg I could have wrote this myself! My husband was the same when we met, he just assumed that kids were a natural step. When I told him I didn’t want kids and he thought about it, he realised kids weren’t for him either. He now is more happy about being child free than I am! He’s always saying “god I’m glad we don’t have kids”. 😂😂😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Omg I could have wrote this myself! My husband was the same when we met, he just assumed that kids were a natural step. When I told him I didn’t want kids and he thought about it, he realised kids weren’t for him either. He now is more happy about being child free than I am! He’s always saying “god I’m glad we don’t have kids”. 😂😂😂
Haha. Excellent 🤜🤛

Reactions: 1
I’m just intrigued what are the age ranges of us all on here? 🙈 I’m 30 in a few months. Some of my friends have kids already in secondary school!
I'm 43. Still waiting for the broodiness that was allegedly going to kick in when I hit 30, then 35, definitely late 30s. OMG wait until you hit 40 etc etc.

Nope. Never happened.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
50 and NO regrets. Been married nearly half my life, which is mind boggling. From 30 to 35 I made sure we had a proper discussion every year to make sure neither of us had changed our minds about kids and thank goodness we never did!
I drew a hard line at 35 as apparently it's more difficult to get pregnant then anyway. It was a very strange feeling, almost grieving the possibility if it happening even though we never wavered, probably more to do with acknowledging we were getting older.

The only people who ever been questioned me about the desicion (they never questioned my husband!) were his immediate family and one of my aunts. I found the reason "expensive mither" covered all our concerns and no one could argue with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
36 here and have never felt any desire to be “mummy”. If I start to even think what if… I just step outside amongst people with kids and it just affirms my thoughts 10x 😂. I was at a theme park recently and was shocked to see the amount of kids hitting their parents. One boy must have been like 8 and was waiting in line in front of us for food, it was a bit of a wait and he was fed up. Was dancing around and was like “I’m sooo bored this is stupid why are we waiting so long” then Started punching his mum really hard in the leg like when *punch* are *punch* we *punch* goinggg *punch punch punch*. She just basically ignored it and was smiling away. I turned to my husband like WTF is that?? Another girl looked about 7 and didn’t want her pizza, her mum moved the box towards her and she punched her arm and the box away, food everywhere. The mum looked like she was going to burst into tears. Saw another girl about 11 slap her dad across the face twice as she wanted to go on a ride and he knelt down to tell her she couldn’t because it was too long a wait & they’d come back . Considering these kids have been treated by their parents and taken on a really expensive day out that I couldn’t even dream of as a kid, it was just shocking. They all looked totally miserable. Imagine working so hard to pay for that and doing something amazing for your kids for the day and you get treated like that. Whereas my husband and I were wandering around happy as anything 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.