Childfree by Choice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm wondering if he (along with many, arguably most, other men) have really actually thought about what child rearing is. I think a lot of men just think of it as fun days out on the weekend and trips to the cinema to watch kiddie films and then when they're older, days out at the football or golf. Controversial and sorry if this seems like I'm generalising but I think that's why a lot of men want sons. They want a 'friend' later on when that son grows up or an excuse to watch a "boyish" kiddie film/play boyish toys etc without really considering what it takes to raise a child.
I have an 8 year old son, he has to see his dad for 24 hours(overnight) once a fortnight. He doesn’t treat him like a dad should. Sets no boundaries doesn’t give him a wash, feeds him takeaway after takeaway.
He just plays on the Xbox watches grand tour etc with him. He hasn’t adapted his life around his needs.
Having a child is a life long commitment which also means you have to in some cases communicate with people you don’t want to.

I have an 8 year old son, he has to see his dad for 24 hours(overnight) once a fortnight. He doesn’t treat him like a dad should. Sets no boundaries doesn’t give him a wash, feeds him takeaway after takeaway.
He just plays on the Xbox watches grand tour etc with him. He hasn’t adapted his life around his needs.
Having a child is a life long commitment which also means you have to in some cases communicate with people you don’t want to.
He sounds more like a baby sitter than a dad. How does your son feel about it if you don't mind me asking?
Also 24 hours a fortnight is barely anything. 2 days a month? That's 24 days a year! Doesn't even add up to month over the course of a year!

Reactions: 2
I can't believe I have only just found this thread. I have found my people! 🙌

I'm 31 and my husband is 35. I've spent my entire adult life being told "You'll change your mind when you're older" but on the contrary I think I am getting less maternal with age.

MIL has it in her head that my husband really wants children and I am somehow robbing him of his life goal. This is completely untrue - we have had the child conversation many times and we're both on the same page. Surely he wouldn't have married me if he was desperate for kids? So annoying. He tells me to ignore her but I just know I am bad-mouthed to anyone who will listen 🙄😂 Has anyone else had a similar experience with in-laws?
I think he needs to step up and tell her to stfu. He should be 100% behind you and letting you be the fall guy for a mutual decision is a crappy thing to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My mum has been understanding of my lack of desire for kids, she’s never pressured me but admitted today that she would never expect me to want to bring a kid into this world as she would worry for it’s future (climate, money etc). I always worried for her as I am her only child but that’s made me feel a lot better. More cats then!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I think he needs to step up and tell her to stfu. He should be 100% behind you and letting you be the fall guy for a mutual decision is a crappy thing to do.
To give him credit, he isn't letting me be the fall guy. He has corrected her many times but she's one of those "I know you better than you know yourself" kind of mums. She's a difficult woman for many reasons and this is just one of them. Luckily she lives far away so we only see her a couple of times a year. 😬

Reactions: 6
To give him credit, he isn't letting me be the fall guy. He has corrected her many times but she's one of those "I know you better than you know yourself" kind of mums. She's a difficult woman for many reasons and this is just one of them. Luckily she lives far away so we only see her a couple of times a year. 😬
That fact she lives far away actually makes it worse. She’d barely even see her grandkids anyway?!

Reactions: 4
Someone needs to invent a thing where older people desperate for grandkids can be paired with kids with none.

Reactions: 17
He sounds more like a baby sitter than a dad. How does your son feel about it if you don't mind me asking?
Also 24 hours a fortnight is barely anything. 2 days a month? That's 24 days a year! Doesn't even add up to month over the course of a year!
My son doesn’t get it and thinks it’s fun no rules and no boundaries! He doesn’t have him much at all but we went through court due to dv. In some cases I don’t think some parents have the maturity to have children and I really can understand why a lot of people don’t want children.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My son doesn’t get it and thinks it’s fun no rules and no boundaries! He doesn’t have him much at all but we went through court due to dv. In some cases I don’t think some parents have the maturity to have children and I really can understand why a lot of people don’t want children.
I was going to say how difficult it must be for you to hear your son discuss his dad as the fun parent when you can’t do anything about it and you’re the one doing the grafting

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I was going to say how difficult it must be for you to hear your son discuss his dad as the fun parent when you can’t do anything about it and you’re the one doing the grafting
I know there will come a day when he will realise what he did and ask questions.
Honestly I’m sure before I had a child I never worried about anything.
I know one of my friends said when she had a child she would never change she would still go out every week, yet when she did she stopped going out completely and stopped replying to messages etc.

Reactions: 1
I'm childfree and am unsure if I would like children in the future. I have always been on the fence but watching all of my friends that have children have completely turned me off it to be honest. The constant complaining, the no sense of self anymore... They don't do anything outside of their child and most conversations become about their children. I'm not being selfish, I understand we will talk about their children as they are a big part of their lives but they aren't their only part. They constantly make me feel like I don't know anything about living or that my opinion is no longer relevant because I have no children. It is not an existence that I desire to be honest.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
They constantly make me feel like I don't know anything about living or that my opinion is no longer relevant because I have no children. It is not an existence that I desire to be honest.
I totally get this…like you can’t possibly be tired as you haven’t been up with a screaming kid all night…you can’t possibly be skint as you don’t spend 2/3 of your salary on nursery fees…I could go on. I have some friends I feel I can’t even confide in anymore as they think my life is a complete breeze as I’ve made the decision to stay childfree so I how dare I complain about anything!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I totally get this…like you can’t possibly be tired as you haven’t been up with a screaming kid all night…you can’t possibly be skint as you don’t spend 2/3 of your salary on nursery fees…I could go on. I have some friends I feel I can’t even confide in anymore as they think my life is a complete breeze as I’ve made the decision to stay childfree so I how dare I complain about anything!
Whenever people say things like that to me, I always smugly think, “you know what? You’re right”. No matter what crap I’m going through, at least I don’t have a child to deal with at the same time!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Whenever people say things like that to me, I always smugly think, “you know what? You’re right”. No matter what crap I’m going through, at least I don’t have a child to deal with at the same time!
If you say that they change their tune pretty fast and tell you how they're not that tired/skint/whatever and their life is amazing and you should have 3 kids ASAP so your life can be as good as theirs!

Reactions: 8
This comic is amazing for recognising everything that women with kids do. I hope it’s also reassuring to women who are childfree because they know their male partner would never have to deal with as much as they would.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
This comic is amazing for recognising everything that women with kids do. I hope it’s also reassuring to women who are childfree because they know their male partner would never have to deal with as much as they would.

I don’t think this just applies to working mothers or even mothers. Even in relationships I know with no kids the emotional baggage always seems to default to the women.

Reactions: 10
I hate children too. I hate how they have to shout and scream constantly, run around and don't look where they're going. I hate how they're coddled beyond belief in todays society. For example when I was a child we were expected to stand up and let an adult sit down on the bus or train or whatever, now it's the other way around

Reactions: 13
I hate having to pretend to be interested or like kids. I got my nails done the other day and the beauticians 6 year old boy was there. He made a bee line for me (please don't) and started talking to me and told me the nail colour I should have. The place was packed so I had to talk to him and engage with him. He was clambering all over the place and on me.
I could see the other customers thinking how cute whilst I was thinking duck off. I just want to be left alone, get my nails done and leave. I can't bear it.
I remember I flight I took years ago a family allowed their very young kids to run around and climb over the passengers. I'd had enough when their little girl, with her sticky hands wouldn't let go of my arm so I prized her off me and had a go at the parents.
Another time when I visited Anne Frank's house an awful family allowed their kids (old enough to be respectful...in their tweens) run around and everyone was quite upset by this so my mum bollocked the kids 😂 and they nealry shat themselves 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I hate having to pretend to be interested or like kids. I got my nails done the other day and the beauticians 6 year old boy was there. He made a bee line for me (please don't) and started talking to me and told me the nail colour I should have. The place was packed so I had to talk to him and engage with him. He was clambering all over the place and on me.
I could see the other customers thinking how cute whilst I was thinking duck off. I just want to be left alone, get my nails done and leave. I can't bear it.
I remember I flight I took years ago a family allowed their very young kids to run around and climb over the passengers. I'd had enough when their little girl, with her sticky hands wouldn't let go of my arm so I prized her off me and had a go at the parents.
Another time when I visited Anne Frank's house an awful family allowed their kids (old enough to be respectful...in their tweens) run around and everyone was quite upset by this so my mum bollocked the kids 😂 and they nealry shat themselves 😂😂😂
This is the story of my life! I hate how parents assume you are going to find their kids as charming and adorable as they do.

I have a very small and very cute dog who unfortunately is a child magnet. We were in the pub last weekend and a kid (about 3 or 4 years old I'm guessing) came over to stroke him. That in itself is fine but he proceeded to hang around our table for our whole visit annoying me, my husband and our dog. And the parents did nothing! I go to the pub to have a relaxing drink and a conversation - not to entertain someone else's child! 😒

(Don't even get me started on kids in pubs because I could moan for hours!)

Reactions: 26
This is the story of my life! I hate how parents assume you are going to find their kids as charming and adorable as they do.

I have a very small and very cute dog who unfortunately is a child magnet. We were in the pub last weekend and a kid (about 3 or 4 years old I'm guessing) came over to stroke him. That in itself is fine but he proceeded to hang around our table for our whole visit annoying me, my husband and our dog. And the parents did nothing! I go to the pub to have a relaxing drink and a conversation - not to entertain someone else's child! 😒

(Don't even get me started on kids in pubs because I could moan for hours!)
It's funny bealcause most parents complain when they get some time away from their kids and this happens to them eg in a cafe and a kid won't leave them alone, so why do they think it's fine to let their kids do the same thing!

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.