Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Who is winning in that situation! Clearly not the other patrons, definitely not the poor children and that leaves the parents who can’t possibly be winning, that’s got to be a miserable time and a waste of money for them surely!
They didn’t end up leaving until 10:30. Just ridiculous to have young children out that late 🙄

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
They didn’t end up leaving until 10:30. Just ridiculous to have young children out that late 🙄
Also most pubs and bars will only allow children till 9pm under the terms of their licence. So the bar was probably breaking the law, especially if it's primarily a bar rather than a restaurant. Twats all round.

• Angry
Reactions: 13
On a plane earlier today, only one child on board, and where was it sitting? Right behind the most intolerant person.

Said child didn't want their seat belt on and was having a complete tantrum, screaming,howling, etc.

Mum was just going " oh please put it on for mummy, you will make mummy so happy" "I'll give you more sweets and stickers if you put your seat belt on" "oh please be a good girl" etc etc. this went on for what felt like years.

I'm sorry but wearing a seatbelt isn't something to negotiate about. Just put the bleeping belt on the child or take them off the plane.

And then to top it off at the other end of the flight I had "oh gracey you need to say hello to the people in front who were so concerned and worried about your crying earlier" absolutely not. I was cursing your child.

When I was younger, a I wouldn't have dared to behave like that, and b if I did my parents wouldn't pander to me.

Reactions: 23
I'm normally quite a timid and polite person but one of the few times I've lost my tit with a stranger was the woman behind me in a plane on a long haul flight whose kid was kicking the back of my seat. I kicked that tit into touch before we'd left UK airspace. Little twit.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I swear I always get lumbered with screaming kids behind me EVERY flight, it’s like a curse! On one recent long-haul flight with a baby/toddler behind me there was suddenly a bad smell, my husband was like “is that you?” (I fart a lot lol), I say no and turn around and THEY’RE CHANGING THE BABY’S NAPPY ON THE MIDDLE SEAT! bleeping disgusting 🤢

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 23
On a flight once we had only just sat down and the kid behind my husband started kicking his seat, my husband asked the dad politely to get him to stop and the dad kicked off on my husband so much that he ended up getting himself and the kid offloaded before they’d even shut the doors!! Great for us though, empty seats behind us for a 6 hour flight 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I have no idea why some parents take such great offence at being told to control their children.

Reactions: 26
This is why I like to book the back row of the plane 🤣 We've just got back from an adult only cruise in Jamaica... Not a single child on that flight... Heaven!

Flying out from Manchester I was amazed at how many young children were on long haul flights to Dominican Republic and Cancún. I mean, why drag them halfway across the world? Just go to the Canaries or wait a couple of weeks for the Med to warm up! I struggled with the 9.5 hour flight and the jet lag, I can't imagine how a child would handle it.

• Heart
A group of about 6 or 7 kids got on the DLR today with a few parents in tow, the kids ran RIOT, screaming and yelling and climbing up the poles and swinging around, the parents stood there chatting away and paying no attention. I actually said 'control your kids!' as I left, it was that infuriating.

Reactions: 5
This is why I like to book the back row of the plane 🤣 We've just got back from an adult only cruise in Jamaica... Not a single child on that flight... Heaven!

Flying out from Manchester I was amazed at how many young children were on long haul flights to Dominican Republic and Cancún. I mean, why drag them halfway across the world? Just go to the Canaries or wait a couple of weeks for the Med to warm up! I struggled with the 9.5 hour flight and the jet lag, I can't imagine how a child would handle it.
A colleague of mine took her 3 kids (2, 4 and 6) to Mexico last August.

She said its less painful doing 9 hours than 4 hours as the kids have more time to relax, watch films, maybe have a nap etc. and that time of year price wise cost little more than Europe and the hotels are nicer.

I did cringe when she booked it as I felt for all the couples jetting off for a nice break but I wouldn't go away in August out of choice anyway.

On the subject of holidays, just booked another holiday for this year, Egypt in about 7 weeks time. We're going Dominican at the end of the year but couldn't wait all year for a holiday. Feel like we are in our peak childfree era as mortgage is affordable (for now), wages are good and because we don't have £1500+ pm childcare bill like most of our peers we can have multiple holidays a year 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I finally opened my restaurant fully this weekend, and I’ve already had to ask a family with unruly children to leave. We are not really aimed at children to start with, and the parents were all huffy about the menu not offering ‘kids food’ whatever that may be. Then they proceeded to tell their kids to go and play outside in our courtyard. The courtyard isn’t actually in use yet for dining, apart from the odd smoker and hardy dog owners, but I’ve spent a long time and a fair amount of cash creating this beautiful Mediterranean type space with planting and lights. The little bastards were out there pulling up my plants !! I informed the parents of their behaviour and suggested politely that the children might want to be told to sit down inside. Instead of apologising for their kids vandalism they kicked off at me. I stood there while the Dad ranted at me and when he realised he was getting no reaction he stopped. I just smiled and asked him if he was finished. Then told him to take his family and leave my restaurant and to please not return.

I’m waiting for a bad review on trip advisor or something but I don’t care.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
I finally opened my restaurant fully this weekend, and I’ve already had to ask a family with unruly children to leave. We are not really aimed at children to start with, and the parents were all huffy about the menu not offering ‘kids food’ whatever that may be. Then they proceeded to tell their kids to go and play outside in our courtyard. The courtyard isn’t actually in use yet for dining, apart from the odd smoker and hardy dog owners, but I’ve spent a long time and a fair amount of cash creating this beautiful Mediterranean type space with planting and lights. The little bastards were out there pulling up my plants !! I informed the parents of their behaviour and suggested politely that the children might want to be told to sit down inside. Instead of apologising for their kids vandalism they kicked off at me. I stood there while the Dad ranted at me and when he realised he was getting no reaction he stopped. I just smiled and asked him if he was finished. Then told him to take his family and leave my restaurant and to please not return.

Congratulations on your restaurant! And well done on handling a difficult situation well! Most of the bad reviews about children and restaurants I’ve seen actually come from the other people in the restaurant suffering other peoples terrible parenting so I think by dealing with it so well you’ll get less bad reviews and even if the parents do leave one hopefully it’ll just put off other tit parents from visiting!

Reactions: 25

Don't worry the people without children will be banging down your doors for drinks and food x

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Congrats on your restaurant and well done for standing up to entitled people - vandals are not the type of customers you want!

• Heart
Thank you all for the support.

Woke up to a nasty review on our FB page which I expected. Apparently they wanted to make the owner aware of how awful the manager behaved towards them 😂😂😂 idiots 🙄

We got lots of great reviews too, and thankfully today we only had couples and one very well behaved child in. I don’t find children appealing whatsoever, but a young boy of about 7 asking if he could order another bowl of olives was pretty cute ☺ . It seems there are children out there who don’t expect chicken nuggets thankfully.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
I'm from the UK but have moved to Europe, and it does make me see that so many of the issues with children nowadays are socioeconomic and not just cultural.

My working class friends back in the UK have a bloody hard time parenting. They're constantly financially stressed, living in crappy rentals (some with black mould), and they somehow need to parent kids whilst looking after themselves. Some of the dads are absent and/or negligent, and lack of wider community and state support exacerbate the impact of that. The schools are often not great, people are often having to raise their kids miles away from extended family because they've moved for work or govt. housing.

Combined with the desire to parent without resorting to violence and screaming matches, I can see how parents (and their kids) are struggling.

In contrast, my friends with kids here in mainland Europe have a good life. I thought they must all have amazing jobs and high incomes because most own their own homes (which are nice and clean), they have holidays and parties, wear decent clothes, and have plenty of time to spend with the kids. However, most of them are on about €20-25k max and don't have uni degrees, and many of the mums either don't work or only work part-time.

I know that I'd be living in relative poverty on that wage with kids in the UK. Hell, I earned that much in the UK and, even without kids, I could only afford to live with roommates in a grubby rental.

I'm still not convinced that having kids is for me, but it has made me realise just how much the socioeconomic situation in the UK has affected my choice.

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.