Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel really rude now but when I go to see a friend and a ton of kids turn up unannounced it really annoys me. I felt rude leaving early and it looked obvious, but I wasn't being listened to when I was speaking anyway because baby was present. (Also crying alot) other kids running and leaping about. Then the conversation has to turn to kids and then the adults start talking in a baby voice talking nonsense. It really annoys me. My mum said, well that's life and don't be rude. Well, I didn't go to see my friends grandkids I went to see her. It also went quiet when I said bye and they obviously knew I was annoyed by the kids. I really wish I was more tolerant but I couldn't wait to get out of there.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I feel really rude now but when I go to see a friend and a ton of kids turn up unannounced it really annoys me. I felt rude leaving early and it looked obvious, but I wasn't being listened to when I was speaking anyway because baby was present. (Also crying alot) other kids running and leaping about. Then the conversation has to turn to kids and then the adults start talking in a baby voice talking nonsense. It really annoys me. My mum said, well that's life and don't be rude. Well, I didn't go to see my friends grandkids I went to see her. It also went quiet when I said bye and they obviously knew I was annoyed by the kids. I really wish I was more tolerant but I couldn't wait to get out of there.
That's my pet peeve when you're in the middle of a sentence and notice that your friend is suddenly not listening to a word you're saying because they're distracted by their kid 🙄🙄

Reactions: 25
Have to get this out there. Friend of mine had a kid last year. They have a five year old ragdoll cat who needs brushing daily. The cat is covered in dreadlocks/matted fur which I know because she told me and said they just don’t have time to look after her and brush her daily any more.
the more I think about it the more I want to tell her to get her tit together and look after the cat or give it up. Imagine just saying “yeah I abuse my first born now there’s another baby in the house”. That’s pretty close to what’s happening here…

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 39
Have to get this out there. Friend of mine had a kid last year. They have a five year old ragdoll cat who needs brushing daily. The cat is covered in dreadlocks/matted fur which I know because she told me and said they just don’t have time to look after her and brush her daily any more.
the more I think about it the more I want to tell her to get her tit together and look after the cat or give it up. Imagine just saying “yeah I abuse my first born now there’s another baby in the house”. That’s pretty close to what’s happening here…
This makes me so bloody angry. Poor cat being neglected like that. I hate when people get pets then as soon as children come along they act like said pet is a nuisance. If it was me I would definitely be giving her son home truths and tell her to get her act together. Could also report her to the RSPCA for neglect as the cat will be uncomfortable.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Why would anyone go into teaching? Like genuinely why. I’ve heard from various teachers how it is getting more difficult and the behaviour and SEN levels are getting worse every year. Kids literally out of control.

I don’t know what happened to parenting but it seems that if you’re not constantly with your kids and doing fun child-specific activities, it is now child abuse and will cause them “trauma”. I’m 30 and in my day it was normal to be home alone for periods, hang out outside Topshop or get the train to Camden on a weekend, get public transport, parents generally had no idea what was going on in school apart from at parent’s evening, they didn’t “supervise homework”. Also in the country I’m originally from it’s considered normal for a 4+ year old to sit through theatres/ballets/operas, there’s always children sitting quietly at various high-end cultural events! Nowadays young people can’t seem to handle anything, difficulty, boredom, disappointment….

Parenting today seems like a double full-time job - isn’t there a stat that SAHMs in the 70s spent less hours with their kids than working mums today? Crazy. No thanks 😅 I could be a 70s dad though!
---
Oh and how’s this for contraception - one of my work colleagues was telling me how his 1yo climbed onto the kitchen table and smashed 2 glass pendant lamps together :eek:
Your paragraph about children not being allowed to be bored nowadays is so accurate! It’s like they have to be at a birthday party, bowling, the cinema, soft play. Those things were treats for me growing up not a weekly occurrence.

Also, leaving kids to be bored teaches them to use their imagination and occupy themselves. That’s why so many of them can’t cope with nothing to do because they aren’t left to their own devices to create individual thought.

As my lovely nanna used to say “only boring people get bored” or “go outside and play then, and come back when the streetlights come on” 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 22
This is awful! I just cannot understand how people neglect their pets when a child comes along, they’re a part of your family too and a life long commitment. How can they just forget about them like that 😢

I hope they do the right thing and rehome their cat to someone who will love and care for them properly. Maybe you can plant the seed in your friend’s mind? I know it will be an awkward conversation to have, but the poor cat really deserves better.

Imagine teaching your child that it’s okay to let a pet suffer because of your own selfishness. And yet parents say we’re the selfish ones.. ugh it really annoys me!

• Heart
Reactions: 15

It’s fascinating to me how the comments on that post are filled with hundreds of women all agreeing that they don’t feel like themselves anymore and yet one of the first comments is about how having children is “the greatest and most important thing” we can do 🙄

I wonder how many fathers feel like they’ve lost their identity and feel guilty for taking time for themselves… The disparity in how much a woman’s life is disrupted by becoming a parent compared to most men’s will never not make me rage. And yet women are judged for not having children as if it’s selfish to not want to sacrifice your entire identity to being “mum.”

Reactions: 38

It’s fascinating to me how the comments on that post are filled with hundreds of women all agreeing that they don’t feel like themselves anymore and yet one of the first comments is about how having children is “the greatest and most important thing” we can do 🙄

I wonder how many fathers feel like they’ve lost their identity and feel guilty for taking time for themselves… The disparity in how much a woman’s life is disrupted by becoming a parent compared to most men’s will never not make me rage. And yet women are judged for not having children as if it’s selfish to not want to sacrifice your entire identity to being “mum.”
I’ve been told by a lot of mums that having children wouldn’t change my life, like I could still do whatever I want etc. and I see stuff like this all the time. Both can’t be true can they - I can’t simultaneously not have my life changed and never feel like me again and never have any time for myself.

I see more judgement for single mums and childfree women than men who walk away from their children, it’s just good ol’ fashioned misogyny.

Reactions: 18
I've also noticed how parents don't put their children to bed anymore? Growing up I had to go to bed on time early every night even if I wasn't tired until I was 16! I also had to go to my room even if I wasn't sleeping, as parents wanted time to themselves. This isn't the case anymore. I went to see the bob Marley film which started around 8 and there was woman breastfeeding her baby in the front row! I thought, er...isn't the incredibly loud music and speakers going to disturb this baby in any way? Nobody was bothered by this. I've never seen a newborn in the pictures before. I didn't think that was allowed actually. There was also another parent taking his newborn to see a film. It's night time!!! Why don't kids have a bedtime anymore?? This is just selfish because they won't grow properly otherwise. I've read that they like kids to sleep really late so the parent doesn't have to get up early with them. Just laziness and bad parenting to me. 🙄

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 27
How the eff do I respond to this... Friend (who I only see 1-2 times a year cos she's such a 'look at me' type) has messaged me saying that she's pregnant with her 3rd and is about to tell everyone in a girls group chat we're in. She's said 'wanted to message you privately first as didn't know if you'd be upset about baby news'.

I think she's assumed I've got fertility issues cos I've been married for a few years now.

Now I'm pouring over previous messages in the group chat to see if I've not come across as enthusiastic enough for other girl's announcements.

A few others on the group have kids and I like to think I'm always supportive of baby news, sending gifts and cards and asking how they're feeling when they're pregnant.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
How the eff do I respond to this... Friend (who I only see 1-2 times a year cos she's such a 'look at me' type) has messaged me saying that she's pregnant with her 3rd and is about to tell everyone in a girls group chat we're in. She's said 'wanted to message you privately first as didn't know if you'd be upset about baby news'.

I think she's assumed I've got fertility issues cos I've been married for a few years now.

Now I'm pouring over previous messages in the group chat to see if I've not come across as enthusiastic enough for other girl's announcements.

A few others on the group have kids and I like to think I'm always supportive of baby news, sending gifts and cards and asking how they're feeling when they're pregnant.
"Omg NAME, that's amazing news, congratulations!!! Thank you so much for thinking of me first - I'm very much childfree by choice so nothing but happiness for you 🥰" **tweak for you own tone of voice of course!

Puts them in their place without any kind of accusatory tone 😉 Let us know if she explains herself more!!

Reactions: 20
Currently sat in a bar after a long day at work with a friend. Neither of us finished until 7 so unwinding with a cocktail before heading home and there’s a family of four here. Ones a toddler and one looks under 1 and they’re both acting up screaming and crying.

Why on earth would their parents bring them here at this time? They’re obviously going to hate it, it’s loud and it’s way past a time I’m assuming kids that age would be in bed. Just selfish parents, not only are the kids miserable, but so are we listening to them cry when we’re trying to enjoy a quiet drink 🙄

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Currently sat in a bar after a long day at work with a friend. Neither of us finished until 7 so unwinding with a cocktail before heading home and there’s a family of four here. Ones a toddler and one looks under 1 and they’re both acting up screaming and crying.

Why on earth would their parents bring them here at this time? They’re obviously going to hate it, it’s loud and it’s way past a time I’m assuming kids that age would be in bed. Just selfish parents, not only are the kids miserable, but so are we listening to them cry when we’re trying to enjoy a quiet drink 🙄
Who is winning in that situation! Clearly not the other patrons, definitely not the poor children and that leaves the parents who can’t possibly be winning, that’s got to be a miserable time and a waste of money for them surely!

Reactions: 12
I went to a pub about a year ago, it was one of these chain places so you do expect to see some children and for it to be a bit loud, but this was another level. A child actually bounced through the pub on a pogo stick🤣 We got up and walked out, past the door where the parents were smoking weed 😕 I drove past it tonight and noticed it was under new management... I don't think I'll be going back to see if it has improved🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Just been told about this. I was contemplating moving areas and looks like there will be even less children there. 😁👶

Reactions: 6
Just been told about this. I was contemplating moving areas and looks like there will be even less children there. 😁👶
Aside from childfree and childless people, I’m not surprised people are having less children - child benefit cap, housing crisis, cost of living crisis, recession, educations gone to tit, nhs has gone to tit, environment has gone to tit, employment is tit, people working longer so no family support as your parents/in laws are still working, working hours are so long, pay is low, women don’t want to completely give up their careers, childcare costs are horrendous - and that’s just off the top of my head, is it any wonder people who want kids aren’t having them or only having one!

Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.