Callie Thorpe #4 The Con Corner, enabling Callie to make money standing on her head

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been thinking for a while that one of the biggest changes I've seen in some of the OG plus size influencers I used to follow back in the day (apart from the absolutely dull content, and just it being non-stop ads) is when they were more focused on fashion they seemed to be very open about their size. For example, in outfits they styled or even links to clothes that might be affiliate links they'd often say which size they'd tried, advice on size up or size down. Really helpful stuff - or I used to think so.

I know that a lot of these influences like Cal and Dani V don't seem to be so interested in posting fashion content which is a shame, but also I just feel they are fundamentally not being honest about their struggles with their weight which has impacted how they influence and generally made everything worse. I don't think its a surprise that those influencers who have gained weight do not post like this in the way they used to, and I think this is sad and also sends really bizarre conflicting messages to their target audience which I have always assumed is other plus size women.

I have been noticing this for ages and just wondered what everyone else thinks? Do you think it's about shame? Or the attempt to pivot to other influencing content e.g. lifestyle (what even is that?)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I think the need to monetise everything they now post and make easy money from doing very little has overtaken the desire to be of any help to their target audience...the biggest offenders being the 2 you mentioned! Both lazy and all about the freebies and the #ads and AL !

Reactions: 1
I have been thinking for a while that one of the biggest changes I've seen in some of the OG plus size influencers I used to follow back in the day (apart from the absolutely dull content, and just it being non-stop ads) is when they were more focused on fashion they seemed to be very open about their size. For example, in outfits they styled or even links to clothes that might be affiliate links they'd often say which size they'd tried, advice on size up or size down. Really helpful stuff - or I used to think so.

I know that a lot of these influences like Cal and Dani V don't seem to be so interested in posting fashion content which is a shame, but also I just feel they are fundamentally not being honest about their struggles with their weight which has impacted how they influence and generally made everything worse. I don't think its a surprise that those influencers who have gained weight do not post like this in the way they used to, and I think this is sad and also sends really bizarre conflicting messages to their target audience which I have always assumed is other plus size women.

I have been noticing this for ages and just wondered what everyone else thinks? Do you think it's about shame? Or the attempt to pivot to other influencing content e.g. lifestyle (what even is that?)
Definitely laziness. Why bother styling an outfit when you can just aff link the food you have been gifted, while lying on your gifted couch?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think its just them not having any press trips to go on so they have nowt to do and don't have to get ready therefore no outfits. Fair enough DV does the odd day of putting on an outfit and getting pictures but that's once in a blue moon.
Most of them just slob about in shite clothes like the rest of us.

The bigger they get the harder it is to find nice clothes and feel comfortable in them and I think that shows as much as they want you to believe the opposite.

Reactions: 2
I also find it sad that these so called body positive influencers say you can be fat and fit and it’s ok. No it’s not. It’s terrible for you. As someone who has been a classic self sabotaging yo yo dieter for most of my life I feel awful, clogged, breathless, unhealthy and unhappy when I’ve put weight on. I exercise every day but I am not healthy. If you’re out of breath doing up your laces that’s not a good thing!

this confidence corner thing continues this myth. I’ve had grown adults verbally abuse me in the streets for being fat, I have had pig noises made at me as I go by and these fat influencers still maintain it’s ok as they pile it on and on.

I’m all for sharing fashion tips, make up tips, etc, to make us look our best selves right now. But don’t keep up this Confidence corner where a bunch of fatties can pay someone actual hard earned cash to all get together to say it’s ok. It’s not. Spend your cash at (name your chosen health and fitness programme here)

Such a bleeping lie. It’s miserable.

Rant over :D

Reactions: 7
I also find it sad that these so called body positive influencers say you can be fat and fit and it’s ok. No it’s not. It’s terrible for you. As someone who has been a classic self sabotaging yo yo dieter for most of my life I feel awful, clogged, breathless, unhealthy and unhappy when I’ve put weight on. I exercise every day but I am not healthy. If you’re out of breath doing up your laces that’s not a good thing!

this confidence corner thing continues this myth. I’ve had grown adults verbally abuse me in the streets for being fat, I have had pig noises made at me as I go by and these fat influencers still maintain it’s ok as they pile it on and on.

I’m all for sharing fashion tips, make up tips, etc, to make us look our best selves right now. But don’t keep up this Confidence corner where a bunch of fatties can pay someone actual hard earned cash to all get together to say it’s ok. It’s not. Spend your cash at (name your chosen health and fitness programme here)

Such a bleeping lie. It’s miserable.

Rant over :D
I completely agree, I’m fat and have also spent years yo-yo dieting, to be fair I don’t actually have a problem with the way I look but I do have a problem with how I feel, especially as I get older, I’m really feeling the effects on my joints and movement and it’s not a nice way to live

Reactions: 8
I think all of the things people have said are exactly right. I think that's the particular reason the Cosmo front cover featuring her rubbed so many people up the wrong way. It just wasn't authentic and was clearly an opportunity to promote her personal "brand" in a way that actually in the long term is so much worse because perceived authenticity is what gives influencers so much clout. When they lose that there really is nothing left to do but sell crap.

I remember when she used to also speak on things like travelling as plus size woman, cultural reactions to that in other countries, practicalities around plane travel etc. I feel like things like that used to really help people. I feel like there are lots of genuine opportunities being missed by her and others to actually grow their platforms by focusing on this sort of content. Lifestyle influencers selling Method cleaning products and Elemis or god knows whatever else is the latest thing are literally two a penny. And I think the pandemic has meant in general people have a lot less time and patience for all that BS consumerism!

Reactions: 6
Interesting one. I don’t think you have to be slim to be healthy- I was overweight/ obese on the BMI scale but had a 6 pack, I competed in a sport, trained 5x a week and could run 5k in 30 mins no problem.
since then due to injury and Covid I’ve put on 3 stone and I feel like absolute shite. I’m a tall 18 so don’t look huge but I get out of breath walking up the stairs. I now snore because my neck has got fat! There absolutely no way on this gods green earth that someone morbidly obese can feel healthy or comfortable. Im half her size and it feels dreadful.

Reactions: 10
I think all of the things people have said are exactly right. I think that's the particular reason the Cosmo front cover featuring her rubbed so many people up the wrong way. It just wasn't authentic and was clearly an opportunity to promote her personal "brand" in a way that actually in the long term is so much worse because perceived authenticity is what gives influencers so much clout. When they lose that there really is nothing left to do but sell crap.

I remember when she used to also speak on things like travelling as plus size woman, cultural reactions to that in other countries, practicalities around plane travel etc. I feel like things like that used to really help people. I feel like there are lots of genuine opportunities being missed by her and others to actually grow their platforms by focusing on this sort of content. Lifestyle influencers selling Method cleaning products and Elemis or god knows whatever else is the latest thing are literally two a penny. And I think the pandemic has meant in general people have a lot less time and patience for all that BS consumerism!
But wasn't that one of the issues with her and her trips away ? Because they were freebies all her comments were " everything is amazing babes" ...she missed a real opportunity to actually give real / negative comments/ tips / advice on the various experiences she was gifted because she didn't want to upset the brand and for the freebies to dry up ! ...for example the Orient Express freebie, did she honestly expect us all to believe a person of her size had zero issues being on a narrow train with standard seating and beds etc ?

She's a liar and a fake...all about the freebies with her !

• Wow
Reactions: 12
The fact Plymouth Gin have given her a holiday has legit infuriated me.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
How interesting 🤔 free holiday and Callie’s ability to get up, dressed and leave the house has come back! I’m guessing her anxiety and depression took a separate holiday from the free one she took!

‘I loved learning that aside of supporting local charities like this Plymouth Gin....’

No Callie you didn’t ‘love learning’ that at all 🙄 that’s just basic copy you needed to write for your free holiday and considering this is your ‘job’ you didn’t even write the copy well - ‘that aside of supporting’ - it’s ‘aside FROM supporting’. It’s only a small thing but come on, you’re doing the bare minimum to justify the freebie, at least get the basic copy right!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
How interesting 🤔 free holiday and Callie’s ability to get up, dressed and leave the house has come back! I’m guessing her anxiety and depression took a separate holiday from the free one she took!

‘I loved learning that aside of supporting local charities like this Plymouth Gin....’

No Callie you didn’t ‘love learning’ that at all 🙄 that’s just basic copy you needed to write for your free holiday and considering this is your ‘job’ you didn’t even write the copy well - ‘that aside of supporting’ - it’s ‘aside FROM supporting’. It’s only a small thing but come on, you’re doing the bare minimum to justify the freebie, at least get the basic copy right!
The stained black t shirt is no where to be seen!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Over 260k followers and she couldn’t even muster 500 likes on the Plymouth gin ad. Surely these brands will soon realise they’re backing a dud?

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.