Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just finished 'the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo' which was a good read!

Reactions: 1
I’m halfway through Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey. I’ve seen the BBC drama so I know the whole plot which you’d think would ruin the mystery element, but it’s written so well I just had to read it. So far the book is very similar to the drama which is good, and it’s such an empathetic and real portrayal of dementia. I don’t have dementia/don’t have anyone close to me with it but the way the main character is written just makes me feel like I’m in her confused brain. It’s not the type of book I’d normally pick up which is testament to how wonderfully it is written. Couldn’t recommend it enough, best book I’ve read in a while

Reactions: 6
Does anyone know any other site for audio books other than audible please? They are so expensive on there!
Sorry if this is obvious and unhelpful but getting an audible subscription makes them far more affordable. You can get one a month for the cost of the cheapest package, 6.99 I think. Of course you might not want to have to pay every month but there are a few things I’ve discovered that make it more manageable. Firstly you can pause paying for up to three months at a time - you can still listen to books you’ve already downloaded in that time.
Also you can return audio books - even
If you’ve finished them -in exchange for a credit and a new book. Within a year I think. If you don’t want to get a subscription that’s a way of making one off payments more affordable.... but it’s useful with the subscription too

Does anyone know any other site for audio books other than audible please? They are so expensive on there!
Get a Library card and download the Libby App so you can have access to free books and audiobooks. I've saved so much by using Libby and borrowing books. Now I only buy what I can't find on there or what I really want to have.

Reactions: 4
The Child 44 Trilogy by Tom Rob Smith. There are three books in total. So detailed and fascinating, I couldn't put any of them down.
Wait, there are sequels?! Didn't know that, enjoyed the first book. Will check them out!

I'm enjoying thrillers at the moment. Reading the Helen Grace-series by Arlidge. I've read the first four. So far Eeny Meeny was the best in my opinion, very clever! Liar, Liar starts out slow, but the plot twists towards the end were very entertaining.

My "to read"-pile is growing faster than I can read though 😕
Next up is TheTravelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa.

I bought today 'Five Women' by Hallie Rubenhold. It is about the women killed by Jack the Ripper. I don't normally like stuff like that as it seems gratuitous but she has written it from the point of view of the women. Documenting their lives. And not going into the gory and horrible details of their deaths.
I'll report back!
Please let me know if this is any good, I've had my eye on this for a while and might use my Waterstones card points for it :)

I'm currently reading the Girls by Emma Cline, which was a random charity shop find that caught my eye. Only a couple of chapters in but enjoying it so far.

I recently fell down a rabbit hole of reading that CJ Tudor's novels - (The Chalk Man and The Hiding Place) as she was lauded as the British Stephen King... I won't spoil the books for you, but the reason she was probably lauded as such is because she borrowed so heavily from Stephen King's plots! Wouldn't recommend overall

I've also just finished reading Little Women again as I loved the recent film remake so much

A spark of light - Jodi picoult
Something about Elsie- joanna cannon
The wives - lauren weisberger
The salt path - raynor winn
( not a reading book but Charlie Mackesy
The boy, the mole the fox and the horse , the most beautiful book , sayings and illustrations)
Ps I love you cecelia Ahern (i do believe there is a follow up called postscripts has anyone read ?)

Currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It's stunning. I'm an aspiring author and this is how I wish I could write.

Reactions: 2
Currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It's stunning. I'm an aspiring author and this is how I wish I could write.
Ah, have you read ‘the secret history’? That’s such a brilliant novel and if you feel that way about Tartt I advise you to prioritise reading it if you haven’t already! I’m going to guess you have though... so may as well use this post to advise it to anyone else. It’s one of those perfect novels with everything - excellent writing, page turner of a plot and it sticks with you long after you finish it. It’s actually pretty rare to find a book both well written and easy to read. I think of them as unicorns and rejoice when I find one.

I’m currently re reading Lolita for the third time for my book group. It’ll be an interesting discussion, even ten years or so since I last read it, it’s impossible to imagine something like that coming out today. Id lost my old copy and got another, and even searching it on google brings up this...
9E7BABC9-2118-4A66-A4F1-A6FA2CB5B2D7.jpeg

Reactions: 4
Ah, have you read ‘the secret history’? That’s such a brilliant novel and if you feel that way about Tartt I advise you to prioritise reading it if you haven’t already! I’m going to guess you have though... so may as well use this post to advise it to anyone else. It’s one of those perfect novels with everything - excellent writing, page turner of a plot and it sticks with you long after you finish it. It’s actually pretty rare to find a book both well written and easy to read. I think of them as unicorns and rejoice when I find one.

I’m currently re reading Lolita for the third time for my book group. It’ll be an interesting discussion, even ten years or so since I last read it, it’s impossible to imagine something like that coming out today. Id lost my old copy and got another, and even searching it on google brings up this...View attachment 89219
I love The Secret History. One of my all time favourite books.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I just finished ‘Fleishman is in trouble’ by Taffy Brodeser Akner. It was one of those big hyped books last year, kind of like how normal people was the year before (which I loved) - I cant remember the last time I was so disappointed by a book. It had an interesting (ish) message that was slowly revealed but I really thought it was very badly written.
I agree, I found the constant references to internet dating and the pick-ups so monotonous and didn't have any sympathy at all for the main character. Then the explanation at the end as to the missing wife was so rushed that it didn't add any value to the story.

I agree, I found the constant references to internet dating and the pick-ups so monotonous and didn't have any sympathy at all for the main character. Then the explanation at the end as to the missing wife was so rushed that it didn't add any value to the story.
Absolutely, I really didn’t like Toby from the start, when we were supposed to. And I though I did enjoy when the narrative flipped to Rachel, and the implication that this was the Fleishman really in trouble, it was extremely rushed, as you say. His section should have been the length of hers and vice versa, her story was also much more interesting.
What did you think of the structure and the presence of the narrator as a character ? Another bad call in my view. I got the point about “telling a woman’s story through a man” is the only way to make people listen (how could you not get it, the point was so hammered home?) but I don’t think it worked AT ALL. The book could be re-edited as a standard third person narrative with all her parts taken out and all that would change is that it would be better.

Sorry if this is obvious and unhelpful but getting an audible subscription makes them far more affordable. You can get one a month for the cost of the cheapest package, 6.99 I think. Of course you might not want to have to pay every month but there are a few things I’ve discovered that make it more manageable. Firstly you can pause paying for up to three months at a time - you can still listen to books you’ve already downloaded in that time.
Also you can return audio books - even
If you’ve finished them -in exchange for a credit and a new book. Within a year I think. If you don’t want to get a subscription that’s a way of making one off payments more affordable.... but it’s useful with the subscription too
Ive got an audible subscription, the cheaper one that you said but I’ve always got an audio book on in the background so I go through them quickly. I find the deal of the day can be a good buy though. Thanks for your reply 😀

Get a Library card and download the Libby App so you can have access to free books and audiobooks. I've saved so much by using Libby and borrowing books. Now I only buy what I can't find on there or what I really want to have.
Thank you! I didn’t know about this 😀

I’ve just finished Big Sky, which is the latest Kate Atkinson book. Really enjoyed it - shes my favourite author along with Maggie O’Farrell. Also have enjoyed everything by Liane Moriarty.

Reactions: 3
I love everything Jodi Picoult and find I just can’t put her books down and there’s always an expert twist! Think the last one I read of hers is Small Great Things which I would definitely recommend

I’ve just finished Big Sky, which is the latest Kate Atkinson book. Really enjoyed it - shes my favourite author along with Maggie O’Farrell. Also have enjoyed everything by Liane Moriarty.
I finished Big Sky earlier this week and loved it. I was so delighted by Jackson Brodie’s return that I am rereading all the Brodie novels. Kate Atkinson cannot put a foot wrong in my eyes.

Try Scribd. Not everything is on there but they have a decent selection I think it's about £8 a month? It's billed in US dollars. You can listen to everything within your subscription. Although be warned, people say that they do limit you if you listen to "too much" from the major publishers. Not entirely sure about the cut off point, it's probably in their terms and conditions somewhere. hasn't ever happened to me but depends on your usage I suppose. But overall you don't have to buy each book which is a plus! But also they don't have a lot of the new releases.

I finished Big Sky earlier this week and loved it. I was so delighted by Jackson Brodie’s return that I am rereading all the Brodie novels. Kate Atkinson cannot put a foot wrong in my eyes.
thats exactly what I’m doing ! She’s a clever clever writer. And Jackson is my literary crush !

Ive got an audible subscription, the cheaper one that you said but I’ve always got an audio book on in the background so I go through them quickly. I find the deal of the day can be a good buy though. Thanks for your reply 😀
If you get through them quickly you should return and replace it with another. As I said you can do that even for ones you’ve finished up to a year after buying them. It’s a great hack and I don’t feel bad about it, my reasoning being they wouldn’t let you do it if they didn’t want you too...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.