Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh is that the one set in Iceland back in the day? My aunt gave me that a few years ago and I expected it to really not be my thing but I really got into it. Love it when you surprise yourself and challenge your own assumptions like that.
Yes that is the one. I have never known anyone else who has read it. Hannah Kent's second book 'The Good People' is a really well researched book, it is set in Ireland, again not one that many have read. Definitely hope there is a new book from her soon.

Reactions: 1
Just discovered this thread! I love books 🤗 Mostly read psychological thrillers, crime fiction etc. but open to other genres.
Currently reading Magpie by Sophie Draper and almost halfway through. Not bad so far.

Reactions: 2
I’ve just finished conviction by Denise Mina and before that The Foundling by Stacey Halls - really enjoyed both and would recommend!

Thought we should have a place to talk all things books! (I’m couldn’t find a thread already open so apologies if there is)

This lockdown has got me reading. I used to read as a teenager but haven’t read for years! I bought ‘The Family Upstairs’ and I’ve been really enjoying it! I’m over half way through and I feel like I may have an idea where it’s going but I hope it surprises me.
I’ve also heard The Silent Patient is good. I feel like I need books that are good from the get go because I’m not a huge reader (would like to be though). So I need books to keep my interest otherwise I’ll just put it down and stop all together. At the moment I’m finding the top selling books are easiest to get, I can pick them up when I’m in Tesco for essentials. I’ve checked a few books out on Amazon and they are more than double what you pay in shops. Not sure if that’s just due to circumstances right now.

What are your book recommendations and/or reviews?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm terrible at reviews but here are some books I've recently enjoyed:

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
We Begin At The End by Chris Whitaker (have actually read all three of his books, all excellent)
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Journey Under The Midnight Sun by Keigo Higashino

Belina Bauer, Dennis Lehane, William Shaw, Ruth Dugdall, Jane Harper and Karin Slaughter are also some authors that I've read and loved pretty much everything from.

Also, Goodreads is a great app (and website) for discovering books and keeping track of what you've read or want to read x

Reactions: 4
Normal People by Sally Rooney (also on iplayer atm) and Conversations with Friends. I loved them both.

The skeleton crew is a great book about online sleuths solving crimes. Very good book.

the magpie murders was interesting. It was a book within a book which confused me at first but it had some great twists.

I just finished The Time of My Life by Cecelia Ahern. I wasn’t sure about it at first but the meaning of it was amazing. It’s in the last chapter or so that the whole book makes sense. A lovely read.

Tuesdays with Morrie
A Man Called Ove (being made into a film with tom hanks)
A million little pieces
& the big fav of last year (year before?) Eleanor Oliphant (also being made into a film by Reese Witherspoon)

Last edited:
I'm currently reading The Scandalous Duchess by Anne O'Brien. Fans of Philippa Gregory or Elizabeth Chadwick might enjoy this. It's set in 14th century England, and is about lady Katherine Swynford, sister in law to Geoffrey Chaucer and John of Gaunt's third wife.

I'm also reading Logging Off by Nick Spalding. A funny story about a guy who is completely addicted to the internet, and who is trying to detox from it. I've read a few of Nick's books now, and find most of them very funny, great easy reads.

I've read The Silent Patient, and really liked it. It was easy to read, drew me in quickly, and had me picking up the book whenever I had a spare moment.

Last edited:
I'm terrible at reviews but here are some books I've recently enjoyed:

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
We Begin At The End by Chris Whitaker (have actually read all three of his books, all excellent)
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Journey Under The Midnight Sun by Keigo Higashino

Belina Bauer, Dennis Lehane, William Shaw, Ruth Dugdall, Jane Harper and Karin Slaughter are also some authors that I've read and loved pretty much everything from.

Also, Goodreads is a great app (and website) for discovering books and keeping track of what you've read or want to read x
Loved Eleanor Oliphant, it's the only book for years that's made me cry.
I read a lot of psychological thrillers, mainly on recommendation from sites like Goodreads, missing the fantastic library I use which obviously closed at the beginning of lockdown and having lost a lot of my income can't justify buying books at the moment :ROFLMAO:
Last thriller I read was The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, would recommend.
Anything by Kate Atkinson, particularly the Jackson Brodie series.

Loved Eleanor Oliphant, it's the only book for years that's made me cry.
I read a lot of psychological thrillers, mainly on recommendation from sites like Goodreads, missing the fantastic library I use which obviously closed at the beginning of lockdown and having lost a lot of my income can't justify buying books at the moment :ROFLMAO:
Last thriller I read was The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, would recommend.
Anything by Kate Atkinson, particularly the Jackson Brodie series.
Psychological thrillers are my favorite! Definitely my most read genre.

I really enjoyed The Silent Patient too and I love getting stuck into a series so I will check out Kate Atkinson.

Psychological thrillers are my favorite! Definitely my most read genre.

I really enjoyed The Silent Patient too and I love getting stuck into a series so I will check out Kate Atkinson.
There are 4 books in the Jackson Brodie series starting with Case Histories. It's a good few years since I've read them but if you like the first one you'll definitely want to read the rest!
Psychological thrillers are my favourites too, have read so many though I forget the titles of the ones I've enjoyed the most.
A book I loved and re-read recently is The Observations by Jane Harris. Not a psychological thriller but a really fascinating read (I thought so anyway).
A Little Life is on my reading list now.

Would I be doing 'a little life' injustice if I listened on audible do you guys reckon? I'm thinking of listening along whilst I work at home x

I hated Little Life! My mum gave it to me and said I should read it. When I had finished and we discussed it, it turns out she hated it, too! Thanks!
I kind of get why it was so hyped but if you want to read something uplifting during lockdown then definitely steer clear for a while!
Just finished reading a brief history of seven killings, which was enjoyable but heavy-going. Reading a Swedish crime for a nice page turner after that.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.