Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you get through them quickly you should return and replace it with another. As I said you can do that even for ones you’ve finished up to a year after buying them. It’s a great hack and I don’t feel bad about it, my reasoning being they wouldn’t let you do it if they didn’t want you too...
Do you return them often? Is there a point where they say “hey, you’re messing around here”? I feel tempted to see how many I can return

Do you return them often? Is there a point where they say “hey, you’re messing around here”? I feel tempted to see how many I can return
Not extremely often, I’ve probably done it about 5 or 6 times. At first I was worried that exactly what you say would happen but looking into it more, and the fact you can do it when you’ve completely finished the book too, makes me feel they don’t really care.

I will say they don’t make it super obvious, you have to click some small print at the bottom of the amazon page or something - you can google it. But I urge anyone to take advantage of it, and remember it’s the richest company in the world who don’t buy tax.... it’s alllll good...

Reactions: 1
I have a huge list on Goodreads that I have read, will share the highly rated ones here.

1. Becoming - Michelle Obama
  2. Me Before You series - Jojo Moyes
  3. The Woman In The Window - AJ Finn
  4. Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer
  5. Homes. A Refugee Story - Abu Bakr Al Rabeeah
  6. When The Moon Is Low - Nadia Hashimi
  7. Everything All At Once - Katrina Leno
  8. Love, Hate and Other Filters - Samira Ahmed
  9. Fat Girl On a Plane - Kelly Devos
  10. A Dog's Purpose series - Bruce W Cameron
  11. The Finishing School - Joanna Goodman
  12. The Home For Unwanted Girls - Joanna Goodman
  13. The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris
  14. The Trials of Morrigan Crow - Jessica Townsend
  15. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
  16. The Hate You Give - Angie Thomas
  17. Furiously Happy - Jenny Lawson
  18. The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
  19. 1984 - George Orwell
  20. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Jenkins Reid
  21. The German Girl - Lucas Correa
  22. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
  23. Behind Closed Doors - BA Paris
  24. Firefly Lane - Kristin Hannah
  25. Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
  26. The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware
  27. Surviving Scientology - Leah Remini
  28. When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi
  29. The Nazi Officer's Wife - Edith Beer Hahn
  30. Where Am I Now? - Mara Wilson
  31. Elizabeth Is Missing - Emma Healey
  32. Cormoran Strike series - Robert Galbraith
  33. The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey
I have read all the miss peregrine books and even the extra one, he released unrelated to it. They are very good. I have gone back to classics currently reading Sherlock Holmes and about to read the scarlet pimpernel.

I dont need fiction books much but when i do i love quite basic romance ones or affair ones to read when sunbathing etc, there is a few authors who i just tend to buy their new releases each year
Paige Toon is one of my favourites
Millie Johnson
Sarah Morgan
Ruth Jones - she has only had one book so far Never Greener but it was decent i have high hopes for others
Cathy Kelly
Fiona Walker

I've read / have a fair amount of books about Auschwitz. Some mass market books and some non. The most recent one was Librarian of Auschwitz. I just couldn't get in to it! So disappointed when that happens.

Try Scribd. Not everything is on there but they have a decent selection I think it's about £8 a month? It's billed in US dollars. You can listen to everything within your subscription. Although be warned, people say that they do limit you if you listen to "too much" from the major publishers. Not entirely sure about the cut off point, it's probably in their terms and conditions somewhere. hasn't ever happened to me but depends on your usage I suppose. But overall you don't have to buy each book which is a plus! But also they don't have a lot of the new releases.
Thank you 😊 xx

If you get through them quickly you should return and replace it with another. As I said you can do that even for ones you’ve finished up to a year after buying them. It’s a great hack and I don’t feel bad about it, my reasoning being they wouldn’t let you do it if they didn’t want you too...
I used to but now when I try to return them it says I have to contact customer services 😂😂😂 think they caught on!

Thank you 😊 xx

I used to but now when I try to return them it says I have to contact customer services 😂😂😂 think they caught on!
Ah no way ! I had half convinced myself they didn’t mind ... and recommended it to a fair few people recently and all .... 😏

Jessie Burton’s The Confession. I have read and enjoyed The Muse and The Miniaturist and I think this will be as good.

I’ve just read the Prison Doctor by Dr Amanda Brown really good read, quite a short read but was good. About to start the women at hitlers table

Reactions: 2
I’ve just read the Prison Doctor by Dr Amanda Brown really good read, quite a short read but was good. About to start the women at hitlers table
Oh yes, I've got that one to read (Prison Dr).

I'll look up the Women at Hitlers table - might be one for me. I read a lot of books about the holocaust.

Oh yes, I've got that one to read (Prison Dr).

I'll look up the Women at Hitlers table - might be one for me. I read a lot of books about the holocaust.
The boy who followed his father into auschwitz. Tattoo of auschwitz, Cilka and the librarian of auschwitz are good reads if you haven’t read them already

Big Girl, Small Town by Michelle Gallen

It was okay, I did like it, but I like mundane stuff. Nothing really happens so I wouldn’t recommend it if you like action-packed books

It had some novelty for me because my ex is from the area in the book so I recognised the place names, dialect etc. Michelle Gallen is also an interesting person; there’s some articles out there about her and her life

I wouldn’t call it a cross between Milkman and Derry Girls like one critic claimed. It’s kind of about The Troubles and is amusing but that’s where the similarities end

Ive read all of miss peregrine's peculiar children and now on complete Sherlock holmes. I also like the 100 year old man who climbed out of the window.

The boy who followed his father into auschwitz. Tattoo of auschwitz, Cilka and the librarian of auschwitz are good reads if you haven’t read them already
Yes, really enjoyed Tattooist of Auschwitz but couldn't get in to the Librarian of Auschwitz. I'll maybe give it another try.

Just finished rereading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
I might dig out the older JoJo Moyes books for some lighter reading

Recently read American Dirt & really enjoyed it, also have loved both of Max Porter’s books, especially Lanny. Girl, Woman Other by Bernardine Evaristo is amazing too.

Just finished rereading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
I might dig out the older JoJo Moyes books for some lighter reading
Oh is that the one set in Iceland back in the day? My aunt gave me that a few years ago and I expected it to really not be my thing but I really got into it. Love it when you surprise yourself and challenge your own assumptions like that.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.