Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love Anne Tyler’s books. There are so many of them. A good one to start with is The Accidental Tourist. I even enjoyed the movie adaptation that was made starting William Hurt and Geena David

I also enjoyed The Help by Katherine Stockett / also made into a movie which I haven’t seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Just started reading American Dirt by janine Cummins, seems really good so far

Before that last books I read were ‘a little life’ by hanya yanigihari and the goldfinch by Donna tartt, both excellent!

Reactions: 5
Just started reading American Dirt by janine Cummins, seems really good so far

Before that last books I read were ‘a little life’ by hanya yanigihari and the goldfinch by Donna tartt, both excellent!
The Goldfinch is on my list.

Reactions: 1
I’m always reading at least two books, one on the kindle and always a real book.
I’ve just finished a book by Sally Rooney called Normal People.
She’s an Irish novelist and this is her second book. It is set mainly in Dublin and revolves around the relationship and lives of a young couple. It’s funny but sometimes dark.
It wasn’t one of those books that I couldn’t put down but I did look forward to getting a quiet hour with it before bed.
I’ve been meaning to pick this book up but keep forgetting it exists! So thanks :)

I’ve been struggling my way through Milkman by Anna Burns, the premise is interesting but the writing style is hard to get on with. It’s all lack of punctuation (stylistic choice) and huge tangents about the same things over and over. It’s about a teenage girl who gets groomed by some IRA bigwig during the Troubles in 1970s Northern Ireland. The book is interesting to get into the mindset of the time but yeah, not an easy read. Though it did win the Man Booker Prize

In contrast, I have just finished Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling, which is a cutesy chick lit about the adventures of a woman from rural Ireland. A very easy read, which is exactly what I needed to get back into reading (used to read hundreds of books up until I had a baby :LOL:). I’d recommend it for people who are into chick lit, though I’m not sure I’ll finish the trilogy myself

I love reading and wish I got more chance to do so. Mainly read on planes/holiday/in my hotel room when I'm working away as too many distractions at home sometimes.

Currently reading 'Natchez Burning' by Greg Iles. Picked it up at random in Barnes & Noble, you will enjoy it if you are a To Kill a Mockingbird fan.

Best reads of 2019:

The Child 44 Trilogy by Tom Rob Smith. There are three books in total. So detailed and fascinating, I couldn't put any of them down.
Dead If You Don't by Peter James (love a bit of Roy Grace)
The Twelve Mile Straight by Eleanor Henderson (also similar themes to TKAM)
The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Next on my list is 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak which my dad has passed on to me.

Loving looking through the recommendations on here, happy reading guys!

Reactions: 6
My fav thread ever 👌 always used to read soo many books but lately it's children's books and I never get the time for my own, but making a huge effort this year x

Amazing thread idea, thanks @Oohthedrama

I love Louise Candlish for contemporary psychological thrillers... Our House and Those People.
Expectation by Anna Hope is one I recommend to everyone.
Loved Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce & The Mother-in-law by Sally Hepworth.

Currently reading I Invited Her In by Adele Parks after loving Lies, Lies, Lies.

Reactions: 2
Amazing thread idea, thanks @Oohthedrama

I love Louise Candlish for contemporary psychological thrillers... Our House and Those People.
Expectation by Anna Hope is one I recommend to everyone.
Loved Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce & The Mother-in-law by Sally Hepworth.

Currently reading I Invited Her In by Adele Parks after loving Lies, Lies, Lies.
can’t believe this was set up in November 2018!

2019 was a slow reading year for me, I’m ashamed to say that because I used to read so much.
It was one thing I wanted to change this year and I’m on my 12th book of 2020!!!

90% have been chick lit but I’m ok with that 🤣🤣
I read both of Adele Parks books! Didn’t love lies, lies, lies.
and I find her books have become repetitive now. 😑

Reactions: 4
I love reading and wish I got more chance to do so. Mainly read on planes/holiday/in my hotel room when I'm working away as too many distractions at home sometimes.

Currently reading 'Natchez Burning' by Greg Iles. Picked it up at random in Barnes & Noble, you will enjoy it if you are a To Kill a Mockingbird fan.

Best reads of 2019:

The Child 44 Trilogy by Tom Rob Smith. There are three books in total. So detailed and fascinating, I couldn't put any of them down.
Dead If You Don't by Peter James (love a bit of Roy Grace)
The Twelve Mile Straight by Eleanor Henderson (also similar themes to TKAM)
The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Next on my list is 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak which my dad has passed on to me.

Loving looking through the recommendations on here, happy reading guys!
I loved Child 44 (the first one mainly)! The Book Thief is a really good read too, doesn’t feel nearly as long as it is and one of the only books to ever make me cry

Reactions: 4
I loved Child 44 (the first one mainly)! The Book Thief is a really good read too, doesn’t feel nearly as long as it is and one of the only books to ever make me cry
Yes the first one was my favourite too!

And ooh can’t wait to read The Book Thief now thanks 😃

can’t believe this was set up in November 2018!

2019 was a slow reading year for me, I’m ashamed to say that because I used to read so much.
It was one thing I wanted to change this year and I’m on my 12th book of 2020!!!

90% have been chick lit but I’m ok with that 🤣🤣
I read both of Adele Parks books! Didn’t love lies, lies, lies.
and I find her books have become repetitive now. 😑
Have you read any Fern Britton books? they are good reads.

Just finished We Were Soldiers Once..And Young by Lt Gen Harold Moore & Joseph Galloway (it’s what inspired the movie)
Just started Perpetrators Victims Bystanders by Raul Hilberg
Obv I’m a history buff :)
But so enjoy some light reading too .. read these a couple months ago :
A Dog’s Purpose by W Bruce Cameron
Little Broken Things by Nicole Bart

John Marrs books are great. The one is brilliant, i couldn't put it down. It is getting made into a netflix series, i cant wait!!

I'm reading into the crooked place by Alexandra Christo...

I loved her other book but I'm almost 200 pages in and really not feeling this one. Shame.

Ah found it!

I have finished The Helpline - it was ok.

Tattooist of Auschwitz was amazing but I cant get into Cilka.

My favourite books ever:

The Italian Chapel - Philip Paris ( I buy copies of this for my friends)
The Island - Victoria Hislop

Both set on historical facts but are novels, I don't enjoy re-reading books but these two I read time and time again

John Marrs books are great. The one is brilliant, i couldn't put it down. It is getting made into a netflix series, i cant wait!!
I love John Marrs books! Also can't wait for The One Netflix drama! In general I'm a huge fan of psychological thrillers, not really into chick lit or anything that has upsetting content, especially involving children. I really enjoyed The Circle by Dave Eggers but the Netflix drama was pretty rubbish.

Some of my favourite series: Rachel Abbott's Tom Douglas thrillers, reading the latest just now. Angela Marsons' Kim Stone series, Robert Bryndza's Kim Stone series, Peter James' Roy Grace series.

I read Flight 19 by Grant Finnegan on a recent long haul flight, not the best idea when flying 😂 and the follow up on holiday. Both very good.

Last edited:
The Goldfinch is on my list.
I got it from the library and so far it is excellent.

Ah found it!

I have finished The Helpline - it was ok.

Tattooist of Auschwitz was amazing but I cant get into Cilka.

My favourite books ever:

The Italian Chapel - Philip Paris ( I buy copies of this for my friends)
The Island - Victoria Hislop

Both set on historical facts but are novels, I don't enjoy re-reading books but these two I read time and time again
I am reading Cilka. Was a slow start but really into it now. Another hard read though.

Anyone else read more than one book at a time? Haha. Not sure about elsewhere but our library has an ebook app and it has saved me hundreds of dollars. I love the library but it is quite a drive from ours.

I love Anne Tyler’s books. There are so many of them. A good one to start with is The Accidental Tourist. I even enjoyed the movie adaptation that was made starting William Hurt and Geena David
I like her too - but I had to look at Wikipedia to work out which books I’ve read as they are all very samey (I think famously so even...?) I don’t think I’ve read the accidental tourist but will check it out. I definitely have read a spool of blue thread and back when we were grown ups, both of which I did think were excellent despite the confusion. I also read vinegar girl which is a re telling of the taming of the shrew as part of a wider Shakespeare project random house did a few years ago and i thought it was terrible. Possibly just too rushed, or she works best with her tried and tested formula.

I just finished ‘Fleishman is in trouble’ by Taffy Brodeser Akner. It was one of those big hyped books last year, kind of like how normal people was the year before (which I loved) - I cant remember the last time I was so disappointed by a book. It had an interesting (ish) message that was slowly revealed but I really thought it was very badly written. And stories about sad rich people in New York are usually some of my favourites! And once the message became apparent she didn’t stop bashing you over the head with it. The last 30 pages were basically just explaining the concept of the book to you. I hate that. But I’d be interested if anyone else has read it?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.