Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m close to the end. It’s a case you think you know about - but this fills in a lot of gaps and answers a lot of questions. I’ve really enjoyed it. I don’t want to say it’s been an “easy read” - just because of the subject matter, but it’s one you can pick up, not really have to think much about and just go with it.
I’ll add it to my ever growing TBR pile! Cheers

Reactions: 2
Currently reading “love alway, mum x” by Mae West (Fred and Rose’s daughter)

Not sure what I’m going onto next, got a few. The Five, Eleanor Oliphant, Prison Doctor and The Beekeeper of Aleppo. Decisions decisions.
The Five!!! its so so interesting.

then beekeeper or eleanor after that 😂

Reactions: 1
I will probably purchase the sequel next time I place a book order, but now I'm about to read Animal Farm by Orwell for the first time so excited for that.
Ah your excitement is appropriate. Animal farm is a great read. Accessible from a young age - I first had it read to me, in year 5 or 6, along with a ‘brief history of the Soviet Union for ten year olds’ so we understood the metaphor. I loved learning about that in relation to the story. I studied it in year 7 English and loved it again. Not sure how many other times I’ve since read it but the point is it’s the kind of classic that can be enjoyed at any age and still pack a punch . No mean feat. I reckon the first time you read the ending you’ll feel a little bit of a way... maybe I’m wrong, but I get a kick just thinking about it. Alternatively I first encountered it too young to see how heavy handed the symbolism is, and it’ll be tedious, predictable and unsubtle ...

let us know whatever way!

Ah your excitement is appropriate. Animal farm is a great read. Accessible from a young age - I first had it read to me, in year 5 or 6, along with a ‘brief history of the Soviet Union for ten year olds’ so we understood the metaphor. I loved learning about that in relation to the story. I studied it in year 7 English and loved it again. Not sure how many other times I’ve since read it but the point is it’s the kind of classic that can be enjoyed at any age and still pack a punch . No mean feat. I reckon the first time you read the ending you’ll feel a little bit of a way... maybe I’m wrong, but I get a kick just thinking about it. Alternatively I first encountered it too young to see how heavy handed the symbolism is, and it’ll be tedious, predictable and unsubtle ...

let us know whatever way!
I forgot to come back on this but I finished this last week and really enjoyed it, I'm not sure I know enough about history to get the direct comparisons but I think the overall political themes of the book can be adapted to a lot of situations!

Since this I have also finished Before I go to Sleep by S J Watson (absolutely loved this!) and last night I finished The Picture of Dorian Gray bu Oscar Wilde (liked the story but struggled with the writing.)

Now moving onto The Devil Wears Prada.

I’m currently reading on Chapel Sands which is a slow burner but beautifully written.

I’m reading Alone by Lisa Gardener. First time reading this author but will definitely read more from her. Not flying through it but I am intrigued and want to know that outcome

Loved catching up on this thread, it’s reminded me of authors I’d forgotten and given me loads of new recommendations.

Intrigued to see Lisa Jewell’s more recent forays into thrillers crop up so many times... I have read them all but found them SO far-fetched and formulaic. I much preferred her earlier work; The Truth About Melody Browne is one of my favourite books.

I’ve recently really enjoyed Anthony Horowitz’s books The Word Is Murder and The Sentence Is Death... really interesting concept where they are written by a fictionalised version of ‘Anthony’ and drop in lots of real-world context. Hard to explain but very clever and gripping crime fiction!

I’ve just finished Girl, Woman, Other which I would highly recommend....I’m now reading Lindsey Kelk’s new one!

Loved catching up on this thread, it’s reminded me of authors I’d forgotten and given me loads of new recommendations.

Intrigued to see Lisa Jewell’s more recent forays into thrillers crop up so many times... I have read them all but found them SO far-fetched and formulaic. I much preferred her earlier work; The Truth About Melody Browne is one of my favourite books.

I think the same although I enjoyed the Family who lived upstairs it was extremely far fetched. The truth about Melody Browne is one of my favourites too! And Ralph’s party!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
So I finished Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi yesterday and if you haven't read it then you so so need to. Its such an eye opening account of how people of colour have been treated since the slavery in the 1700's though to now, one of my best books of the year

Second this!
Ah, really need to get on with reading girl woman other I’ve had it lieing around for ages! Actually would’ve been perfect quarantine era reading as it’s a big hardback copy, maybe I’ll save it for lockdown round 2...
I forgot to come back on this but I finished this last week and really enjoyed it, I'm not sure I know enough about history to get the direct comparisons but I think the overall political themes of the book can be adapted to a lot of situations!
Thanks for the update, no matter when I’m just happy to hear it and that you enjoyed it. I agree you don’t have to know the real historical context at all, I think that would be a weaker book if you did (tho it can be interesting to look it up, I think Napoleon is modelled on Stalin and Snowball on Lenin ? May be wrong...) But all you really need to know about politics is that all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others, right ?

Just finished reading Jessica Simpson's autobiography after I was obsessed with her as a teen. Very religious (which I am not) so it did get a bit of an eyeroll from me at parts but her story was definitely interesting.

Currently reading The Winter Children by Lulu Taylor. My Mum gave me it and raved about. So far so good.

Has anyone read So Lucky by Dawn O'Porter? Thoughts? I loved The Cows.

Currently reading “love alway, mum x” by Mae West (Fred and Rose’s daughter)

Not sure what I’m going onto next, got a few. The Five, Eleanor Oliphant, Prison Doctor and The Beekeeper of Aleppo. Decisions decisions.
That sounds interesting. Was it worth the read? I found Eleanor Oliphant so boring, was a waste of my time but I know SO many people who loved it, I just kept waiting for something interesting to happen! :ROFLMAO:

Just finished reading Jessica Simpson's autobiography after I was obsessed with her as a teen. Very religious (which I am not) so it did get a bit of an eyeroll from me at parts but her story was definitely interesting.

Currently reading The Winter Children by Lulu Taylor. My Mum gave me it and raved about. So far so good.

Has anyone read So Lucky by Dawn O'Porter? Thoughts? I loved The Cows.

That sounds interesting. Was it worth the read? I found Eleanor Oliphant so boring, was a waste of my time but I know SO many people who loved it, I just kept waiting for something interesting to happen! :ROFLMAO:
I didn't enjoy So Lucky as much as I did The Cows. Felt a bit try hard to me

Just finished The Beekeeper of Aleppo, now on Expectations by Anna Hope.

I’ve just finished Girl, Woman, Other which I would highly recommend....I’m now reading Lindsey Kelk’s new one!

I’ve recently really enjoyed Anthony Horowitz’s books The Word Is Murder and The Sentence Is Death... really interesting concept where they are written by a fictionalised version of ‘Anthony’ and drop in lots of real-world context. Hard to explain but very clever and gripping crime fiction!
Ralph's party was one of my favourites!!!

Just finished The Beekeeper of Aleppo, now on Expectations by Anna Hope.

Ralph's party was one of my favourites!!!
I've just finished the bee keeper of aleppo too. I enjoyed it but I wanted an epilogue

It was really good (probably the wrong term to use for such a graphic book depicting horrendous Crimes!) But it was interesting how things like this affects a family.

ive just got this one. I’ve read all her other books and enjoyed them.
I think her books are really good too, not read Queen Bee but I've got it too read. Isn't she married to Ricky Gervais?

I'm pregnant with twins, and have been instructed to rest. 😝
I'm going to read all the Harry Potters, starting on Monday. Help.....😨
I wish I could read them again for the first time. I've got one of the books signed by the Weasley twins as their Gran lives over the road from my in laws!

Last edited:
Just finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett which was excellent. I'm now reading Where The Crawdads Sing. Enjoying it so far.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.