Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am about 400 pages into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson. I only started it on Monday so am clearly enjoying it. I know lots of people probs read it when it came out and the hype is old news but I was 11 so it wouldn't have been v appropriate for me šŸ˜‚ loving it now though.

Hoping to finish it tomorrow then finally read Animal Farm.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Am about 400 pages into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson. I only started it on Monday so am clearly enjoying it. I know lots of people probs read it when it came out and the hype is old news but I was 11 so it wouldn't have been v appropriate for me šŸ˜‚ loving it now though.

Hoping to finish it tomorrow then finally read Animal Farm.
I remember loving it but found it a slow burner.

Reactions: 3
I read the girl with the dragon tattoo summer of 2010 in Indonesia. I remember where I was reading it because itā€™s not something Iā€™d have necessarily picked up, but I was running out of things to read and I think my friend had it or something. I canā€™t exactly remember and donā€™t know why I am choosing to share an anecdote that boring.... maybe be to show that, like the book itself, you get out what you put in. TGWTDT starts slow because thereā€™s a lot of establishing back story and characters needed - but as much as i can remember, it really pays off , itā€™s a total page turner at the end. Plot twists and showdowns and good stuff like that ...I think i may have even gasped out loud (GOL?) at one point.

Trivia: The Swedish title directly translates as ā€˜men who hate womenā€™ which is no insignificant difference. It kind of flavours your entire understanding of the story, alters perspective somehow, knowing that - TGWTDT is so bland and meaningless in comparison. Especially when you just know some dude in a suit decided that title was too problematic to sell. What, domestic violence and misogyny ainā€™t good for business? Thatā€™s not even true...

Oh and what you get back from reading this post is that it will now end.

I read the girl with the dragon tattoo summer of 2010 in Indonesia. I remember where I was reading it because itā€™s not something Iā€™d have necessarily picked up, but I was running out of things to read and I think my friend had it or something. I canā€™t exactly remember and donā€™t know why I am choosing to share an anecdote that boring.... maybe be to show that, like the book itself, you get out what you put in. TGWTDT starts slow because thereā€™s a lot of establishing back story and characters needed - but as much as i can remember, it really pays off , itā€™s a total page turner at the end. Plot twists and showdowns and good stuff like that ...I think i may have even gasped out loud (GOL?) at one point.

Trivia: The Swedish title directly translates as ā€˜men who hate womenā€™ which is no insignificant difference. It kind of flavours your entire understanding of the story, alters perspective somehow, knowing that - TGWTDT is so bland and meaningless in comparison. Especially when you just know some dude in a suit decided that title was too problematic to sell. What, domestic violence and misogyny ainā€™t good for business? Thatā€™s not even true...

Oh and what you get back from reading this post is that it will now end.
Omg the title makes A LOT of difference!! I always thought the title for book was so bloody weird. Thank you for this it makes a lot of sense of the violence and horrible men. I've seen the Swedish (I think) and the American version of the film (the one with daniel craig) and christ they are both DARK. I remember reading the first two and really enjoying it, there was a long wait for the fourth one?? I know it's because the author passed away but because there was such a wait, I found when I read the fourth one that yes it was indeed a slow burner and I definitely wasn't interested in the series anymore.

Omg the title makes A LOT of difference!! I always thought the title for book was so bloody weird. Thank you for this it makes a lot of sense of the violence and horrible men. I've seen the Swedish (I think) and the American version of the film (the one with daniel craig) and christ they are both DARK. I remember reading the first two and really enjoying it, there was a long wait for the fourth one?? I know it's because the author passed away but because there was such a wait, I found when I read the fourth one that yes it was indeed a slow burner and I definitely wasn't interested in the series anymore.
Glad you agree about the title. I had a look at Wikipedia to see if the others have different ones in Swedish and it looks like theyā€™re the same, because they were published after his death. (And the last 2/5 were written by someone else).
But I found this, which more or less confirms that it was an unpopular decision that came from the publishers

ā€œBoth Larsson's longtime partner Eva Gabrielsson and English translator Steven T. Murray have said that Christopher MacLehose(who works for British publisher Quercus) "needlessly prettified" the English translation; as such, Murray requested he be credited under the pseudonym "Reg Keeland".[7] The English release also changed the title, even though Larsson specifically refused to allow the Swedish publisher to do so, and the size of Salander's dragon tattoo; from a large piece covering her entire back, to a small shoulder tattoo.[8]ā€

I was very anti the first English film adaptation in principle. The idea that people were too lazy to read subtitles was what bothered me rather than any sentimentality towards the Swedish version which I found rather average. I ended up seeing it for lack of anything else on and was surprised by how good it was - much better than the Swedish I had to admit. The follow ups were very dull tho.
I think they only made the Swedish series follow ups didnā€™t they ? I was working in a cinema when the third was out so saw it that way , not really understanding the context and remember thinking it was less ā€˜girl who kicked the hornets nestā€™ more ā€˜men talking in rooms.ā€™

I'm pregnant with twins, and have been instructed to rest. šŸ˜
I'm going to read all the Harry Potters, starting on Monday. Help.....šŸ˜Ø

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Glad you agree about the title. I had a look at Wikipedia to see if the others have different ones in Swedish and it looks like theyā€™re the same, because they were published after his death. (And the last 2/5 were written by someone else).
But I found this, which more or less confirms that it was an unpopular decision that came from the publishers

ā€œBoth Larsson's longtime partner Eva Gabrielsson and English translator Steven T. Murray have said that Christopher MacLehose(who works for British publisher Quercus) "needlessly prettified" the English translation; as such, Murray requested he be credited under the pseudonym "Reg Keeland".[7] The English release also changed the title, even though Larsson specifically refused to allow the Swedish publisher to do so, and the size of Salander's dragon tattoo; from a large piece covering her entire back, to a small shoulder tattoo.[8]ā€

I was very anti the first English film adaptation in principle. The idea that people were too lazy to read subtitles was what bothered me rather than any sentimentality towards the Swedish version which I found rather average. I ended up seeing it for lack of anything else on and was surprised by how good it was - much better than the Swedish I had to admit. The follow ups were very dull tho.
I think they only made the Swedish series follow ups didnā€™t they ? I was working in a cinema when the third was out so saw it that way , not really understanding the context and remember thinking it was less ā€˜girl who kicked the hornets nestā€™ more ā€˜men talking in rooms.ā€™
Yeah once I found it was written by someone else and it wasn't as good, I saw very little point in carrying on with the rest of it. Also just seemed it was to make money rather than for the love of writing!
I can totally understand being anti the English version if the reason is just because of subtitles this pandering to English speakers is insane. But yeah I think the follow ups are only in Swedish, I've never seen anything further regarding Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara (whom I love) but I probably wouldn't watch anymore because as much as I enjoyed the books, I found watching it very disturbing. They were good but too dark for me.

Finished TGWTDT and i really did love it even though i would say it tailed off and the last 100 pages were a bit of a slog!

I will probably purchase the sequel next time I place a book order, but now I'm about to read Animal Farm by Orwell for the first time so excited for that.

Has anyone read Dominicana?

i heard good things about it, and I have started and just canā€™t get into it and its made me lose my reading mojo. i was reading 2 books a week but this has left me bleurhh šŸ˜‚

Has anyone read Dominicana?

i heard good things about it, and I have started and just canā€™t get into it and its made me lose my reading mojo. i was reading 2 books a week but this has left me bleurhh šŸ˜‚
Not yet, but I have just bought it on kindle for 99p so if I hate it, at least it was cheap lol

Anyone read any Brandon Sanderson? I just got into fantasy books this year & just got started with him. Reading Elantris first before any of the trilogies or series šŸ„¶

I'm pregnant with twins, and have been instructed to rest. šŸ˜
I'm going to read all the Harry Potters, starting on Monday. Help.....šŸ˜Ø
I know due to various reasons I won't go into here, the Harry Potters have fallen out of favour - but I read them all for the first time a couple of years ago and loved them. They have their faults, at times the writing is clunky, and can have infuriating plot holes (which I won't give as spoilers) but they are just rattling good adventure stories. And I'm always amazed at the imagination someone can have to create new worlds with quite complex backstories.
(Congrats on the twins btw - if they are boys there are twins in HP - Fred and George Weasley!)

Reactions: 4
I know due to various reasons I won't go into here, the Harry Potters have fallen out of favour - but I read them all for the first time a couple of years ago and loved them. They have their faults, at times the writing is clunky, and can have infuriating plot holes (which I won't give as spoilers) but they are just rattling good adventure stories. And I'm always amazed at the imagination someone can have to create new worlds with quite complex backstories.
(Congrats on the twins btw - if they are boys there are twins in HP - Fred and George Weasley!)
Thanks so much.
Needed something very long and not too challenging!
Husband bought them for me, bless him. šŸ˜‚

ooh yay I'm glad theres a book thread on here!

I finished The Beekeeper of Aleppo and I've just started A Court of Mist and Fury from Sarah J Maas!

Reactions: 1
Currently reading ā€œlove alway, mum xā€ by Mae West (Fred and Roseā€™s daughter)

Not sure what Iā€™m going onto next, got a few. The Five, Eleanor Oliphant, Prison Doctor and The Beekeeper of Aleppo. Decisions decisions.

Thatā€™s been recommended to me in the past but never read it. Be good to know your thoughts once youā€™ve finished
Iā€™m close to the end. Itā€™s a case you think you know about - but this fills in a lot of gaps and answers a lot of questions. Iā€™ve really enjoyed it. I donā€™t want to say itā€™s been an ā€œeasy readā€ - just because of the subject matter, but itā€™s one you can pick up, not really have to think much about and just go with it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.