Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m a fully grown adult but I just ordered some Jacqueline Wilson books 😂 Her books were my life growing up and I’ve been desperately craving that childhood nostalgia to take my mind off things in my life. Anyone remember the Girls In Love/Out Late/Under Pressure series? I lived through those books growing up and kept feeling such an urge to read them again. So I am
Brilliant, I loved these books growing up!

Reactions: 1
I’m a fully grown adult but I just ordered some Jacqueline Wilson books 😂 Her books were my life growing up and I’ve been desperately craving that childhood nostalgia to take my mind off things in my life. Anyone remember the Girls In Love/Out Late/Under Pressure series? I lived through those books growing up and kept feeling such an urge to read them again. So I am
Same I also absolutely adored her books as a child and a teen! I met her once at a book signing and she was very nice

Reactions: 3
Same I also absolutely adored her books as a child and a teen! I met her once at a book signing and she was very nice
Aw that’s great to know! She was a big influence in my life growing up. I didn’t quite realise just how many books she’s written! (Over 100 novels!) there’s so many I haven’t read because obviously I grew out of them at some point. I’m interested to read some of her newer ones too!

I haven’t read these books but remember reading ‘Malory Towers’ growing up and I desperately wanted to go to a Boarding School because of it 🤣

Reactions: 5
I just read "The way it always is " can't remember author and it's already shoved through neighbors letterbox.

Its about a family raising a transgender child , it is a fiction novel but the author's own child was transgender.

I really enjoyed it

I absolutely adore Stephen King and have been making my way through some of his earlier novels. Currently reading Salem's Lot, I'm about 65% of the way through and enjoying it so much. A bit slow to start (as most of Stephen King's novels are) but absolutely worth the wait, some bits are so creepy and I'm really engrossed in the story line! I've been reading it on my break in work and I'm loathe to put it down when my break is over!

Can anyone recommend any other Stephen King novels to read next? I've read The Shining, Doctor Sleep, IT, The Outsider and 11/22/63

I haven’t read these books but remember reading ‘Malory Towers’ growing up and I desperately wanted to go to a Boarding School because of it 🤣
Loved that book. I saw on iPlayer they’ve done an adaptation of it for CBBC. Was kinda tempted 😂

• Heart
I absolutely adore Stephen King and have been making my way through some of his earlier novels. Currently reading Salem's Lot, I'm about 65% of the way through and enjoying it so much. A bit slow to start (as most of Stephen King's novels are) but absolutely worth the wait, some bits are so creepy and I'm really engrossed in the story line! I've been reading it on my break in work and I'm loathe to put it down when my break is over!

Can anyone recommend any other Stephen King novels to read next? I've read The Shining, Doctor Sleep, IT, The Outsider and 11/22/63
Misery is a good one!

Pet Sematary!

I used to love them years ago but recently did a re read and found them so tedious and hard work

I loved Carrie and The Green Mile!

I loved those books growing up. My favourite though was the illustrated mum. My own childhood was similar to Dophins as my mother was a single mum also has MH problems. I have a tattoo dedicated to it. I wish JW would write a sequel, now that Dolphin is grown up, but she seems to be writing all these victorian books. They're okay. Other favourites were the suitcase kid and the bed and breakfast star. Loved those.

Reactions: 3
I loved those books growing up. My favourite though was the illustrated mum. My own childhood was similar to Dophins as my mother was a single mum also has MH problems. I have a tattoo dedicated to it. I wish JW would write a sequel, now that Dolphin is grown up, but she seems to be writing all these victorian books. They're okay. Other favourites were the suitcase kid and the bed and breakfast star. Loved those.
I remember Kiss came out when I was a teenager and my friends and I absolutely loved it.

Illustrated Mum is really quite hard hitting for a youth novel but it’s fantastic! Must read that again. Loved Suitcase Kid too and Bad Girls. Double Act, Dustbin Baby gosh there are so many

Reactions: 4
Omg yeeees, I loved The Suitcase Kid, The Bed and Breakfast Star and Double Act! All of them tbh. They're fab books. Also as a fully grown adult, I'd absolutely love to read them all again.

Reactions: 6
I loved Jacqueline Wilson too, she’s such a talented writer - her characters and stories are realistic which is quite a feat considering how diverse her books are (in terms of storylines). She also writes in an age-appropriate way without really dumbing things down. I read her books so much, I don’t think I could read them again but for nostalgia reasons I might check out some I haven’t read. I loved Nick Sharratt’s illustrations too

I read Kiss as a preteen, remembered it recently and find it shocking as an adult. I don’t think I’d be happy with my daughter reading it. It makes me wonder how I’d feel about her other books as an adult, though I think most dealt with difficult subjects in a sensitive way

Last edited:
Omg yeeees, I loved The Suitcase Kid, The Bed and Breakfast Star and Double Act! All of them tbh. They're fab books. Also as a fully grown adult, I'd absolutely love to read them all again.
I think I'm going to buy them again if I see some cheap copies online. I recently reread two favs from my childhood (well early teenage hood). Both are horse books but not pony books. Fly-by-Night and the Swallow tales. Reading them again from an adult perspective, they're both fantastic. Even if you don't like horses, I recommend them. The Shantih series is also a good one, with a lot of references to Celtic mysticism. It's about an artist girl that moves to the Scottish Highlands and ends up with an arab horse. That's another book where I wonder what happened to her as she grew up. According to an interview with the writer-so did she!

EDIT: sorry what I mean by not pony books, is they're not twee. They deal with horses, but also adult issues, lack of money etc. It's not about some spiffing gal called Barbara who has a wee pony.

Reactions: 2
I loved the Girls in Love series. You lot are making me feel so nostalgic! Gonna have to re read some of these for sure 😍

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.