Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone read My Dark Vanessa? I've seen it highly rated on bookstagram and i'm waiting for it to come to waterstones in paperback so I can order it. I'm trying to boycott my kindle at the moment in favour of waterstones (though I do absolutely love my Kindle just don't want to give amazon any more of my money right now!)
I've read it - its good - very uncomfortable reading though

Reactions: 1
Michelle Obama's autobiography is brilliant. I then read Hillary Clintons , very dry but interesting read as you'd imagine. Both ladies were bought up in Chicago at pretty similar times, interesting comparison. I

I've also down loaded `the guest list ` thanks so far so good.

!oved Jacqueline Wilson books, a must read for all children, even boys. They deal with some tough topics which kids can relate to.

Reactions: 3
I loved those books growing up. My favourite though was the illustrated mum. My own childhood was similar to Dophins as my mother was a single mum also has MH problems. I have a tattoo dedicated to it. I wish JW would write a sequel, now that Dolphin is grown up, but she seems to be writing all these victorian books. They're okay. Other favourites were the suitcase kid and the bed and breakfast star. Loved those.
Yes, the illustrated mum was probably my favourite too! I feel like it was so underrated and kind of forgotten (when I was a kid anyway) next to the really famous , popular ones like Tracy beaker and double act. But this story was by far the most sophisticated of any I read (and I read most of them until about 2000) and probably one of the most realistic. You understood exactly why she loved her mum so much but how ill equipped she was fundamentally to look after them on a practical level. It was very informative about mental health issues for a kid. I’m sorry it was so close to home for you - I’m sure it meant a whole different experience reading them for you. But just wanted to say that book was important for my pre teen development too. I must have read it at least twenty times. I was also a big fan of the lotte project , far lighter in theme but also underrated and I found it comforting in some way.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Got back into reading again this year, loved Lisa Jewell, The Family Upstairs
Blood Orange, read in a day
The Flat Share was another good easy read
Lisa Jewell Watching You
Currently on ‘Something in the Water’ and very much enjoying it.

Reactions: 2
Just read
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens...beautifully written story.
Educated....an autobiog by Tara Westover......good, but not for the squeamish!
The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell.....good, gripping read, but a little far fetched in places.
Relish...autobiog of Prue Leith....good, pacey read.

Check out the book, Cowboys Are My Weakness by Pam Houston. I’m going to reread my copy.

Just finished ‘The Dutch house’- what a disappointment, it had such high ratings on good reads but i found it so boring. Hated the narrator too

I'm about 3/4 through Saltwater by Jessica Andrews and I LOVE IT. So beautifully written, very poetic and it's broken down into very small snippets of different narratives running simultaneously so it really sucks you in. I really relate to the main character, I can't wait to finish it later but I also don't want it to end.

After that I'm moving on to HP and the Order of the Phoenix as my Hufflepuff edition arrived yesterday.

I'm about 3/4 through Saltwater by Jessica Andrews and I LOVE IT. So beautifully written, very poetic and it's broken down into very small snippets of different narratives running simultaneously so it really sucks you in. I really relate to the main character, I can't wait to finish it later but I also don't want it to end.

After that I'm moving on to HP and the Order of the Phoenix as my Hufflepuff edition arrived yesterday.
Saltwater is next on my list! Looking forward to reading it now!😃

I'm Hufflepuff too!!

Love this thread!! I got sucked into the silent patient hype and hated every page and found it so MEH - glad it was only 99p on kindle! I have read the couple next door and now am on a stranger in the house both VERY GOOD!!

I want to re-read the noughts and crosses books but they are a bit more on kindle than i like to spend so maybe have to wait to be a bit financially better off before i treat myself

Reactions: 4
Just finished Peter Pan - really pretty writing but got a little boring at points.

Now starting The Collector by John Fowles which has been on my TBR for a long time so I'm excited.

Love this thread!! I got sucked into the silent patient hype and hated every page and found it so MEH - glad it was only 99p on kindle! I have read the couple next door and now am on a stranger in the house both VERY GOOD!!

I want to re-read the noughts and crosses books but they are a bit more on kindle than i like to spend so maybe have to wait to be a bit financially better off before i treat myself
The silent patient was so slow and rubbish for all the hype, also glad I only paid 99p.
Will check out your recommendations above, thank you x

Oh see I didn’t like the couple next door but loved The Silent Patient.

Recently read Normal People and Conversations with friends by Sally Rooney, enjoyed Normal People but the other one was terrible.
Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine was a great read.
The flat share by Beth O'Leary I loved. The tattooist of Auschwitz was a great read.
I really enjoyed Ruth Jones Never Greener.
Reading a Sophie Kinsella one the now called Surprise Me but finding it difficult to get into.

Yes, the illustrated mum was probably my favourite too! I feel like it was so underrated and kind of forgotten (when I was a kid anyway) next to the really famous , popular ones like Tracy beaker and double act. But this story was by far the most sophisticated of any I read (and I read most of them until about 2000) and probably one of the most realistic. You understood exactly why she loved her mum so much but how ill equipped she was fundamentally to look after them on a practical level. It was very informative about mental health issues for a kid. I’m sorry it was so close to home for you - I’m sure it meant a whole different experience reading them for you. But just wanted to say that book was important for my pre teen development too. I must have read it at least twenty times. I was also a big fan of the lotte project , far lighter in theme but also underrated and I found it comforting in some way.
I think we must be a similar age, I loved those two so much! Also like Vicky Angel, Midnight and the Cat Mummy. Definitely nostalgic vibes haha. Can confirm Jacqueline Wilson is lovely in person, once went to a book signing.

Gutted if the Silent Patient is crap, as I’ve just bought it. I’ve loved every book I’ve read by Shari Lapena, my favourite is An Unwanted Guest.
If anyone has a kindle, Queenie & The Hypnotists Love Story are 99p and I loved both of those too. 😉

Recently read Normal People and Conversations with friends by Sally Rooney, enjoyed Normal People but the other one was terrible.
The flat share by Beth O'Leary I loved. The tattooist of Auschwitz was a great read.
Reading a Sophie Kinsella one the now called Surprise Me but finding it difficult to get into.
The Switch by Beth O’Leary is great as well 🙃

Never Greener was really good.

I really enjoy the Undomesticated Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. I've read it several times, it's an easy, comforting read.

Reactions: 6
Never Greener was really good.

I really enjoy the Undomesticated Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. I've read it several times, it's an easy, comforting read.
I love that book too. Finished Surprise Me today, couldn't put it down when I got going 😂. Reading the sequel to Ps I Love You now

I’ve been reading a lot more during lockdown too as there’s nothing on the tv!
I’ve really enjoyed- The 2 lives of Lydia Bird, Seven Days, The switch (by same author as the flat share) and I’ve just started The beekeeper of Aleppo...may treat myself to a trip to Waterstones at the weekend I too am trying to read less on my kindle!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.