Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got it on my list to read but not sure I’ll enjoy it. Willing to try as I’ve heard so many good reviews.
let me know what you think when you get around to reading it.

i was sucked in by the reviews too so went in having high hopes.

Reactions: 1
Just finihed reading normal People, i’m a little disappointed tbh, heard such good things about the book and i just felt a bit flat after finishing it, was looking forward to watching the show.

didnt connect to either of the main characters and the found the whole brother thing was weird.
I read it last year and it took me a while to get into it but it was ok by the end although I don’t get all the hype to be fair.

Reactions: 2
Read Normal People & honestly felt like the only person who didnt enjoy it at all... Everyone I know has loved it. Recently read American Dirt and loved that.

Reactions: 3
Anything by John Marrs or JP Delaney, particularly The Passengers and The Girl Before.
I’ve just finished What Lies Between Us By John Marrs which was excellent. Haven’t read Passengers yet but will give it a go (have read his others).

Here are the ones I’ve read lately. Yes I’m a geek for keeping a list:
9FB89865-5695-4F72-A3C9-941BF09BC8DC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Thank you to the person that recommended the Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson. Just finished the first and onto the second!
Theres a dvd series of it called case histories featuring Jason Issac as Brodie. Its worth a watch.

I’ve just finished What Lies Between Us By John Marrs which was excellent. Haven’t read Passengers yet but will give it a go (have read his others).

Here are the ones I’ve read lately. Yes I’m a geek for keeping a list:View attachment 133256
I’ve not read that one. Will add it to my list!

Here are the ones I’ve read lately. Yes I’m a geek for keeping a list:View attachment 133256
Get on Gooodreads if you’re not already. Really useful for keeping track of read, want to read etc. Can categorise by genre if you is wish. You can also follow authors, add friends and search for new books x

The Pilot’s Wife by Anita Shreve. The only book of hers I’ve read and I really enjoyed it. I think she’s written 9 in total - Oprah had this one in her book club back in the Nineties, it was also made into a movie,

I love any of Steve Cavanagh’s books - Thirteen has the best twist I have ever seen in a crime thriller. It’s about a serial killer who manages to get on the jury for the trial of a murder he has committed. Brilliant!
Im just finished The Silent Patient (that twist?!) and want to start Thirteen. It’s book 4 I believe... do I need to have read the previous three for it to make sense?

The Pilot’s Wife by Anita Shreve. The only book of hers I’ve read and I really enjoyed it. I think she’s written 9 in total - Oprah had this one in her book club back in the Nineties, it was also made into a movie,
Ooh I liked that one too

Thank you to the person that recommended the Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson. Just finished the first and onto the second!
Might have been me (not sure if I made the original recommendation) I have raved about them on here.

You’ll be pleased to learn that they get better and better !

• Heart
Goodreads is great, I use it all the time as otherwise I forget what I’ve read 😂 I’ve loved every single Shari Lapena book & also am a fan of Liane Moriarty, although wasn’t as keen on Nine Perfect Strangers as I was on her others. Anything by Kate Atkinson is amazing, literally love her writing so much. Clare Mackintosh writes amazing crime too, I love how she includes her police past with the details on investigations, etc.

Reactions: 6
@working9-5, ah I do it too! Glad I’m not the only one haha. I’ve been keeping a list for a few years, like to challenge myself to read more than the previous year. Lockdown is helping with this years reading so far :)

some of my faves:

non fiction
elton John-me (audiobook)
michelle Obama-becoming
how to fail-Elizabeth day

thriller
the other woman- Clare mcgowan
I invited her in - Adele parks
what Alice forgot
our house-louise candlish

books to make you smile
the switch and also the flat share -Beth O’Leary
the 100 year old man who climbed out of the window (pure joy and escapism)
how do you like me now-holly bourne
the wrong knickers-bryony gordon

Goodreads is great, I use it all the time as otherwise I forget what I’ve read 😂 I’ve loved every single Shari Lapena book & also am a fan of Liane Moriarty, although wasn’t as keen on Nine Perfect Strangers as I was on her others. Anything by Kate Atkinson is amazing, literally love her writing so much. Clare Mackintosh writes amazing crime too, I love how she includes her police past with the details on investigations, etc.
I couldn’t get in to nine perfect strangers, same with normal people. I love the sample option on the kindle.

i've just finished Before The Coffee Gets Cold - which is a strange Japanese story about a coffee shop that allows you to travel back in time.
Now I'm just starting the Haunting of Hill House, I absolutely loved the Netflix series but I'm aware the book is very different to the series.

I haven't read I Capture The Castle since I was a teenager, and as someone has just mentioned it on this thread I've put it on my Waterstones wishlist for when I do my next big book order :) trying to order from Waterstones these days rather than Amazon!
What did you think of before the coffee gets cold? I think I’d seen this recommended somewhere. The concept sounds fun.

Last edited:
I just finished The Southern Book Clubs Guide to Slaying Vampires and I can’t even tell you how much I loved it, I’m actually really sad that I’ve finished it

I used to keep a list on the notes app on my phone but then decided to actually use GoodReads to keep track of books and I review them too.
I liked Nine Perfect Strangers but agree it wasn’t as good as her other books. I picked up The Hypnotist’s Love Story (or something like that) so will see what that’s like.
I’m a huge fan of Clare Mackintosh books, so good! After the End was different to her usual but so beautifully written and again drawing on her own experience.

I used to keep a list on the notes app on my phone but then decided to actually use GoodReads to keep track of books and I review them too.
I liked Nine Perfect Strangers but agree it wasn’t as good as her other books. I picked up The Hypnotist’s Love Story (or something like that) so will see what that’s like.
I’m a huge fan of Clare Mackintosh books, so good! After the End was different to her usual but so beautifully written and again drawing on her own experience.
I’ve read the Hypnotist’s Love Story & really liked that, hopefully you will too 💗

I enjoyed Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams, Frankissstein by Jeanette Winterson, An American Marriage by Tayari Jones recently.
Also enjoy non-fiction, I liked Sapiens, The Good Immigrant, Natives by Akala etc.

oooh I’ve just checked and it’s available to watch on Prime!

sounds like we have v similar taste in books, I could have written this!!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.