Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Omg yeeees, I loved The Suitcase Kid, The Bed and Breakfast Star and Double Act! All of them tbh. They're fab books. Also as a fully grown adult, I'd absolutely love to read them all again.
Aw I love that so many of you grew up with her books too! Not that I’m surprised. I imagined people laughing at me for reading them as an adult though so happy to see loads of you feel the same 😂

I think I'm going to buy them again if I see some cheap copies online. I recently reread two favs from my childhood (well early teenage hood). Both are horse books but not pony books. Fly-by-Night and the Swallow tales. Reading them again from an adult perspective, they're both fantastic. Even if you don't like horses, I recommend them. The Shantih series is also a good one, with a lot of references to Celtic mysticism. It's about an artist girl that moves to the Scottish Highlands and ends up with an arab horse. That's another book where I wonder what happened to her as she grew up. According to an interview with the writer-so did she!

EDIT: sorry what I mean by not pony books, is they're not twee. They deal with horses, but also adult issues, lack of money etc. It's not about some spiffing gal called Barbara who has a wee pony.
I got mine off eBay! There’s so many second hand copies, I got a buy 2 get one 50% off deal from a bookshop store and it came to like £5 for three books

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Illustrated Mum is really quite hard hitting for a youth novel but it’s fantastic! Must read that again. Loved Suitcase Kid too and Bad Girls. Double Act, Dustbin Baby gosh there are so many
The titles are bringing back memories! Really loved her books growing up

Has anyone read My Dark Vanessa? I've seen it highly rated on bookstagram and i'm waiting for it to come to waterstones in paperback so I can order it. I'm trying to boycott my kindle at the moment in favour of waterstones (though I do absolutely love my Kindle just don't want to give amazon any more of my money right now!)

Reactions: 2
Just finished my reread of twilight 😂 Forgot how awkwardly written it was but I still enjoyed it somewhat. I've definitely read worse.

Trying to decide what to read next... got a huge to be read pile that I just keep adding to.

I’ve got 200 odd books on my kindle already that I should read first but won’t 🤣
Me too. I've buying lots of 99p ones daily since lockdown because the charity bookshop is closed. I've got a pile by my reading chair of 86 books that I need to read then send back to charity shop, yet yesterday after work, I started re reading a book I've read about 10 times already!

Me too. I've buying lots of 99p ones daily since lockdown because the charity bookshop is closed. I've got a pile by my reading chair of 86 books that I need to read then send back to charity shop, yet yesterday after work, I started re reading a book I've read about 10 times already!
Wow, an actual pile of 86 books. Love the sound of a reading chair x

Loved that book. I saw on iPlayer they’ve done an adaptation of it for CBBC. Was kinda tempted 😂
the CBBC adaptation is BRILLIANT ! Am watching with my daughter and we’re reading the books at the same time. I absolutely loved them.

Just finished ‘Those People’ by Louise Candlish. Real page turner - all about nightmare neighbours. Really enjoyed it but the ending was a bit meh.

what's everyones favourite non fiction recommendations? I've just finished Salem's Lot and now I'm looking for something new

I’ve just started reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. So far it’s honestly really very good. I’m around 200 pages in and it’s hitting the feels.

Reactions: 7
@ChilliBean ive just finished the Institution by Stephen King which was really good.
My Dark Vanessa is in my pile for next.

For non-fiction I recommend Bad Blood by John Carreyrou which is about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos scandal. Or It’s All in Your Head by Suzanne O’Sullivan which is about when upset in the mind causes physical symptoms like blindness or amnesia. Fascinating.

Love a bit of Jacqueline Wilson - am also considering re reading now as an adult. Particularly Double Act, Suitcase Kid and Lola Rose as I felt like those stayed with me. They were quite sad though.

I want to read My Dark Vanessa soon too so would be interested what you guys think.

I just finished Normal People by Sally Rooney and liked it but didn't love it. I loved Marianna but hated Connell tbh.

Currently reading Peter Pan by JM Barrie for the first time which is just a quick 200 page read - it's okay so far but not a favourite.

Reactions: 4
I’ve just started reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. So far it’s honestly really very good. I’m around 200 pages in and it’s hitting the feels.
Finished now. And lord. It was such a good book.

Reactions: 3
If you liked that you should read ‘The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock’. Also The Rosie Project is very good.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.