Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Geranium

VIP Member
I was in the Imperial War Museum yesterday and in the bookshop I picked up a copy of Anne Franks Diary and started reading it for the nostalgia and to my huge surprise it was different from how I remembered it. I then realised I must have had an abridged version as a child with a lot cut out of it. So I’ve ordered the unabridged version for my kindle and I’m going to read that next. I was obsessed with Anne as a child, I even kept a diary like she did.
We had just been into the Holocaust exhibition (so incredibly moving and almost unbearable) so it feels right.

Reactions: 8

DietGossip

VIP Member
Aw this makes my heart happy! i talk about the library none stop now 😂 I even have my neighbour using it again, she’s in her late 70’s and learned how to use the app and now goes back to the actual library every week, I hate that it took lockdown for me to really appreciate it again! I’m honestly the biggest fan at the moment, it’s like a sweet shop to me. 😍
Same! I had a card that I opened at the beginning of 2020 and all summer I was just getting books from my library!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Lola123

VIP Member
Daisy Jones is quite different from Evelyn Hugo- though I've heard of people saying they enjoyed it more as an audiobook because it is written as an interview
I read daisy jones and then sold it because I thought it was that bad, it made 0 sense was so surface level and crap, instantly regretted buying it! It’s put me off reading any more of hers!!

• Heart

SoulDestroyer

VIP Member
I’m signed up with three libraries as I overlap counties/local authorities. One has BorrowBox which is never updated, the other two are Overdrive which I prefer. One of them buys a lot more new books than the other. It depends how much funding they have and who is allocated to purchase them.
I like recommending titles on Overdrive but none of mine have been purchased for ages.

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I'll read anywhere, but I do usually only have one book on the go at a time.

I read Maid today, it made me cry a couple of times. I wanted to read the book before watching the tv series.

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Berts Books posted that sales had been really slow this month and they needed to sell 70 books before the end of the month. And no sooner had I read that message than 11 books jumped into my basket and checked themselves out.

#whatbookbuyingban

• Haha

Niknak

Unpopular opinion on here - I enjoyed Girl, Woman, Other 🤭 I listened to the audiobook and you couldn't tell the book was in an annoying format and lacked punctuation. I'd have been put off reading it in print.

qwikti

Chatty Member
Guys... I'm mega confused and I was hoping someone might be able help me... Why do Evelyns seem to keep getting sevens of things?! Seven husbands, and then I've seen seven deaths, but I've also weirdly seen seven and a half deaths too, and at this point I feel like I'm hallucinating in the library. What is going on, is there any one who can help me feel a little less discombobulated in the contemporary fiction section, because I genuinely don't understand why there seem to be 3 (or more, who know at this point) Evelyns getting seven things....

• Haha

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Just finished reading a book on the Kindle and thought I had about 18% left to go. No, it turns out there's a sample of the author's other book so I didn't realise I was so close to the end! Does anyone else get annoyed by this?

I've just downloaded Stolen after so many of you talking about it. Was only $0.99 so a bargain! Think I'll start it tonight.
Did you start? I started reading it earlier in the car in my 20 mins to kill doing the school run (yeah I arrive early to get a space and have a read in peace)... Haven't put it down yet and am now 53% in so pretty sure it's not getting put down until it's finished and I'm only getting a few hours sleep tonight!

It used to be my non sleeping child stole my sleep, now it's the recommendations on this thread!

Baconbutties

VIP Member
So off on holiday this week. I'm taking the following:
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Reid Jenkins
The Handmaid's Tale
Piranesi - Susanna Clarke
The first time Lauren Pailing Died - Alyson Rudd
I aim to do nothing but sunbathe and read! Easy get through 4 books! I hope 😁

Lindylou

Just finished The guest list, I know it got mixed reviews but I enjoyed it. Now going to go for Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton which will be book 50 of the year,whoop whoop!

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Oh they do allow actual books, I have a little pile of books on my shelf. I was basically paralysed from the neck down and have so far only regained the use of my thumbs, but they are really weak. I just can't hold an actual book or turn the pages. I don't really like the Kindle but am thrilled to be able to use it so I can read!
Oh my goodness, I'm so terribly sorry that has happened to you. My first thought was that it was a Covid related restriction (and I'm sorry for prying - I was partly outraged that you might have been banned access to books). I don't know what else to say but do take care and, if you're comfortable with sharing, let us know how you're getting on?

• Heart

GoofyPrincess

Chatty Member
I am loving all the chat about festive books already 🥰 I've been adding lots to my want to read list over the last couple of days but going to try and hold out another month or so before I read any.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Starting the last mrs parish after a recommendation on here, can’t remember who mentioned it but I think it was a positive review? I need to look for weekend books then, have a few out on loan and as always I’m sure I’ll find more I need, not want, need 😐

Finally finished Exciting Times this morning - I literally threw it across the room, my boyfriend was rather concerned :ROFLMAO: So glad it's done - I have so many books to read (and so many that I've started to finish!). Currently reading Atlas of AI and Quiet: The Power of Introverts, but will pick up another fiction book once I've stopped being angry at Exciting Times!
Oh my good this is the toothbrush book right 😂 pretentious bull crap I wish I’d never bothered finishing. That was one of those books that left me feeling angry at goodreads, all I’ve ever seen are good reviews for it 😂

Last edited:

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Oh they do allow actual books, I have a little pile of books on my shelf. I was basically paralysed from the neck down and have so far only regained the use of my thumbs, but they are really weak. I just can't hold an actual book or turn the pages. I don't really like the Kindle but am thrilled to be able to use it so I can read!
Goodness me - how awful! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Heart

Sophielou

Chatty Member
Daisy Jones and the six was an amazing book. Whatever happened to the prime show? It was originally due out before the pandemic i believe 🤔🤔

Started Hostage by Clare Mackintosh today and I'm loving it. Its gripped me straight away which hasn't happened in a while
Hello! New to this thread! I’m hoping to start Hostage soon, I’m looking forward to it!

• Heart

Geranium

VIP Member
Really like Tess Stimson!
On my library app 3 of her books are available right now so it might be worth checking out.

I got Karen Swans new Christmas book from the library and I’m so happy it’s a bit sad to admit 😂😂😂
I’m worried you’ll be all Christmased out by December 1st 😂 xx

• Haha