Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

DietGossip

VIP Member
I am reading my 242nd book of the year. Which is way above usual for me but I have spent 4 months (so far) in hospital in bed, the Kindle says "Typical time to read 5 hrs 22 minutes" and that is one day in bed. I have read a book a day most days since being here. Thank goodness for the Kindle!
I hope you're ok! I don't blame you for reading that many, I'd be the exact same if I were you.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Geranium

VIP Member
I used to love the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella but felt they went seriously downhill with the ones set in the US. Found Christmas Shopaholic in the charity shop where I volunteer and I loved it. Felt much more like the earlier books and was very festive @Oohthedrama

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Finished Beautiful World, Where Are You a few days ago, I pretty much stand by what I said originally that it’s more similar to Conversations With Friends. There’s a Normal People style romance but that’s less than half the book. It was okay, I don’t regret spending my time on it but wouldn’t say it’s one of the best I’ve read. I’ll put my little ramble under a spoiler (not actual spoilers, just vague thoughts)

Stuff I liked: the centrepiece of female friendship was interesting; SR is good at exploring complexities in all kinds of relationships and I enjoyed reading about the friendship/family conflicts. The characters are all 29+ which was refreshing as previously they’ve all been younger. The last chapters (about 2.5 hours in audiobook) were written particularly well imo.

Stuff I didn’t like: lots of sex scenes which mostly end in drama* (it got boring); unnecessary conflict that just felt stupid; a particular character was so unlikeable but in a way that made me wish they’d just disappear rather than loving to hate them; the ending didn’t feel like SR at all. Some of the academic talk got a bit too pretentious and long winded and reading her characters basically talk at each other gets annoying even if that is ~the point~.

*I listened on audible and while the female narrator got into character for the women in sex scenes, she gave no fucks about the men. At one point she acted out the man saying “is it okay if I come?” in the same tone as he might say “have you put the bins out?”. Had to laugh at that.

Generally speaking I find it odd that SR is currently so popular among the younger generation. I’m 27 and find some aspects of her work quite dated. The extreme thinness and hints about disordered eating that is consistent across her female characters has been picked up on a little, but not the relationships with men which are quite… questionable. Many of them date much younger women who are financially unstable (while they have steady careers) and the power imbalance is something SR makes really obvious but she never seems to attempt to unpack it like she does with class, therefore I think her younger readers don’t really either and it all feels a bit weird.

This is why I found CWF depressing 😂
Sally Rooney got very lucky, normal people was such a success for the bbc it secured her position as a popular author, but I really struggled to like any of her books.

qwikti

Chatty Member
Given that I haven't even touched the two amazon first reads of last month, I think I might sit this month out!

I feel (and this is a very rare feeling indeed for us booklovers 😅 ) satisfied with my massive physical and kindle TBR list, so I'll listen to my sense of reason and just work through my owned books for now! But don't worry, I'll likely be back to my fiendish book hoarding ways in like 2 days:m

Still reading Dracula, just over half way through and loving it, and as I prefer to try to with a classic, I'm taking my time. Also only a couple chapters into Just One Damned Thing After Another, so it may be too soon to say, but I am already enjoying it and will tuck in to a bit more now before I go to sleep!

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I’m going to start keeping a note of books I borrow from the library and putting the money aside. Bet I’ll save a fortune. Got 3 books out just now.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I have a new job and I will be managing a team of people which I never done before! So thought I would ask here, any book (or podcast) recommendations around management or leadership which are ‘down to earth’?
Honestly the fact youre even asking this makes me think youl be great! 😊

• Heart

Lindylou

Oh dear, 4 pages of unread Kindle books, a book shelf of unread books, 2 pages of recommendations from you lovely lot and I’ve just discovered some more to read lists in 2 old notebooks!😄 Need more hours in the day please😊

I don't understand how some of you read more than one book at a time. I hate starting a new book if I haven't finished the precvious one.

Anyway One Small Mistake from amazon prime reads was brilliant. I finished it last night and would highly recommend if you like a good thriller.

• Haha

nbt

VIP Member
Bit behind everyone else but I finished Three Hours last night. I think the last 20% or so was the best bit.

I enjoyed the story telling from different POV’s but felt there was a lot of talk and not much action.

That’s my reading goal of 50 books complete though, so let’s see where I end up by the end of the year. No idea what I’m reading next!

Kyriebelle

Have any of you abandoned a book before? I was always taught to carry on books even if I disliked them and I’ve only ever abandoned one book before (Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively), Christ I even read Milkman and that was the worst book ever!
I’m currently reading Bee Keeper of Aleppo and I know it’s an important book but I’m finding it a bit, well the writing is good and then it zones me out. I’ve just finished chapter 3, does it get better?
ive recently started, I’ve never done it before but then my fiancé was like what’s the point of struggling on? Books are meant to be enjoyed no? You are wasting your own time. So now if I REALLY don’t like it, I just close it. 🖤

• Heart
Weird question but is it actually Richard writing them? Is there a ghostwriter?

Same question for georgia toffolo lol
i think Richard writes his book but not Georgia.

I held off reading Richards first book as it was so over-hyped and I usually hate books like that but as other tattlers have said I read one and enjoyed it so much and enjoyed the second one as well. I like books that build a whole world around them and love how they are based on older people!

nbt

VIP Member
I prefer shorter chapters too. There’s something a bit unsatisfying about having read for 55 minutes but only getting through one chapter 😂

I know it’s the same amount whether it’s 55 minutes of one chapter or 55 minutes of 8 chapters but my head doesn’t work like that 😂

nbt

VIP Member
Well, while we’re confessing to stuff, I read PTWM’s “fiction” the other week. It wasn’t even free 😕 but it was 99p and I was intrigued, okay?!

P.S - it was shit.

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I’m so glad so many are enjoying stolen 😛

had a few days where I couldn’t read,
so I’ve avoided this thread because I know I’d want to read 😂 does that even make sense 😂

time travelers wife - just my opinion - god awful book that’s been overhyped for no reason 😂

ghosts - parts were ok, I actully listened to it on audiobook and feel like I enjoyed it more in that format than I would if I was physically reading it.
So I might have made allowances for the fact it didn’t really have much going for it, because I wasn’t giving it much attention as I would if I was reading it myself.
Felt the same about her other book which was also an audiobook.

last few books I’ve read have been
- the Christmas Sisters
- One more for Christmas by Sarah Morgan.
Do not judge me 😂 I loved them 😂🤣
Especially the Christmas sisters.
oh and Prima Donna by Karen Swan. I’m sure I’m forgetting another.
Im finally getting though some older books I’ve had saved.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I haven’t read a book in monthssssss after reading loads and being on this thread constantly at the start of the year.

Last night I downloaded “it ends with us” by Colleen Hoover and I’ve finished it already. It tore my heart out but my god I loved it. I loved all the main characters and I’ll definitely read more from her.

SO happy to be out of my reading slump 🤩🤓🤓

• Heart

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
If you have the Kindle version of The Time Traveler's Wife, there's a short extract of The Yellow House which is a sequel of sorts. It focuses on Henry's daughter Alba who is also a time traveler.

The film version of the film was utter gash. Edward Norton would have been my ideal Henry. There's a TV adaptation but the actor who plays Henry was in the Inbetweeners movie and has shit on his nose in one scene 🙈 I just can't get past it.

I bloody love the book (as you can tell) and re-read this summer, during a low point, for the first time in years. Definitely my go to book when I'm in a slump.