Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

blueballoon

Most of Kazuo Ishiguro's books are on sale for 99p on Kindle today! I've been meaning to read his stuff for a while now so i snapped up all of the books:)

• Heart
Reactions: 7

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Started a new book. As some of you know I was struggling with The Beekeeper of Aleppo and felt bad about not finishing it. But I’ve put it to the side and started The Dover Cafe at War and so far it’s really good. The front cover makes it look a bit simple but it’s really engaging.

These are some of my recent reads which I've thoroughly enjoyed. Also The Ghostwriter by Alessander Torre is a brilliant page turner.
View attachment 783762
You’re on goodreads! Do you have the same problem with the Russian sex bots following you and liking your reviews and ratings? I hardly post on there, only too keep a track on what I’ve read and I have 50 followers who love that I often give 3 stars to books 🤦‍♀️

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Finished the babysitter by Phoebe Morgan
(Pretty good)
And the Christmas escape by Sarah Morgan
(I liked it, as always with a Sarah Morgan Christmas book 😂 although it’s not the strongest storyline to be honest, ive preferred her other ones, and Karen Swan was the contest this year, but I loved the setting)
And a cosy Christmas in Cornwall by Jane Linfoot
(Tragic, I want those hours back 😐)

I need a neeeeeeew booooooook 😩
Has anyone read the new Sophie Kinsella book? I’ve really not enjoyed her last few releases at all so I’m not rushing to get it.

Side note: if anyone is looking for a winter type book, go for Karen swans latest! It’s a good one

Just finished. We were the lucky ones by gerogia hunter.
Based on a true story around a jewish family in ww2 Europe. Each chapter was a different family member telling their story for that particular time.
It sounds really good and I don't normally read books along those topics. I might give it a go. In all honesty confiding in my book friends -I try to avoid all books with WW2 themes. I'm Jewish so I find it too hard to read about. I know that probably comes across really strange but I just can't explain it. But yeah I've felt like that has been a guilty secret of mine that has stopped me before.

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Yes, does my head in. Or book club questions.
I get angry at this 😂 it’s almost like an author/publisher is assuming the book is worthy of a book club place when it hasn’t even been out 5 minutes. So many American authors love to do this.

nbt

VIP Member
It looks as though most of the Karin Slaughter books for Kindle are 99p on Amazon today.
Just bought the first 5 Will Trent series books for 99p.

I am actually addicted. This thread should come with a helpline.

• Haha

Geranium

VIP Member
I’m in Australia, and don’t get charged for any library service. My library has even been doing free book delivery during the lockdowns to vulnerable or less mobile patrons 😭 so sweet. Plus a click and collect service.
I did my dissertation on Australian library services 😀
Most UK libraries also provide a home delivery service to people who can’t get to a physical library or struggle to use the ebook provision. Click and collect started here during the pandemic, lots of places have kept it as an option even though we are now getting back to normal.

Steel Raspberries

So excited to have found this thread!

I'm trying to get out of a reading slump at the moment - I read 9 books in one months and my brain was fried. But I'm reading a feel-good book that usually helps me get back on track (Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell) and I think it might work!

• Heart

chocolate choux

VIP Member
Audible sale on, over 500 books discounted to £3 until Saturday 18th. It says members only but I imagine you can sign up to the trial (3 months for 99p) and buy a few then cancel. I always check my library app before buying specific books too, yes I’m cheap 😂

Link for anyone interested. It shows the original prices but when you log in they’re all discounted to £3.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I think The Time Travelers Wife is one of the most Marmite love it/hate it books there is. I read it and got to to the end and felt really let down, like where was the story that is supposed to be so good?!

Seven of Nine

Currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing.i don't know what it is but I love some parts in the book and hates the other ones😅Anyone else?
I agree super over hyped for me, but then I really didn’t like normal people at all as well as hated my sister the serial killer. Both of which everyone else I known is obsessed with so maybe my opinion isn’t worth a lot 😂

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I've been reading Shuggie Bain for about three weeks now (really, really slow for me). I am enjoying the writing, but it feels very dense. I am in awe that this was a debut novel.
Its a decades work Im sure I read. It was turned down by so many publishers as 'we dont know how to market this'

Its a wonderful book but so sad.

On a similar note. Has anyone read American Psycho? Ive watched the film but I saw a tik tok talking about the book and people were commenting saying they could only read small parts at a time. Is it that bad?

francaispangol

Hello all! I emigrated and now I'm wildly behind on my yearly reading challenge 😭 A day off today, which I'm taking entirely for myself and my Kindle!

Custard cream

Just started 56 days after a recommendation on here and omg I literally can’t put it down!! It’s sooo good! This is my fav thread on here, but it really just encourages my book buying addiction 😜

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Stephen fry does a really good job of being a pig in the audio version 🤣🤣
talking about audiobooks,
Apples never fall has turned me right off audiobooks for a while 😂

I feel awful saying this but the Australian accent is so difficult to listen to for that length of time, and that book felt LONG.
it was far longer than it needed to be.

In other news, it’s nearly Christmas book season!!! 😋

GoofyPrincess

Chatty Member
Did you start? I started reading it earlier in the car in my 20 mins to kill doing the school run (yeah I arrive early to get a space and have a read in peace)... Haven't put it down yet and am now 53% in so pretty sure it's not getting put down until it's finished and I'm only getting a few hours sleep tonight!

It used to be my non sleeping child stole my sleep, now it's the recommendations on this thread!
I only managed to get about 30% of the way through but am hooked! Wish I didn’t have to work tomorrow so I could spend the morning finishing it.

last few books I’ve read have been
- the Christmas Sisters
- One more for Christmas by Sarah Morgan.
Do not judge me 😂 I loved them 😂🤣
I ❤ Christmas chick lit so I shall add these to my list. I usually try and wait till mid November to start reading them and then it’s almost like a race to try and get through as many as possible before Christmas!

Last edited:

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Currently reading
It started with a tweet by Anna bell (meh)
And a state of emergency by Richard Chambers.

but just got Lindsey Kelks new book, Sophie Kinsella’s new book and Philipa Ashley’s new Christmas book for the weekend!

loobyscoobydoo

This thread is dangerous - I keep lurking to get inspiration for books and then buying them on Kindle! 🤭

Luckily I've got a gift voucher to use up (is it just me that thinks you can't actually get anything decent as a little treat of Amazon these days?!) but it'll only go so far to fuel my kindle buying addiction.

If only I read as fast as I buy...