Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HoGi

VIP Member
It might be controversial but I don't see the appeal of reading in the bath 🙈 I pretty much only read in or on my bed. I used to read at work sometimes on my lunch break but that's it. I used to get travel sick on the tube 😂

@twilightgarden Thanks for sharing the link. I'm stuck on 16/20. I will head over to twitter to try to figure out the rest
I can read absolutely anywhere.

But the bath is one of my favourite places! Hot bubbley bath, glass of wine, relax and read for hours!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Geranium

VIP Member
I know and it's just a last gasp attempt by councils before they shut down the service for good. A library without qualified staff is just a book swap service.
Very true. Libraries are a statutory service or they would have been shut down already.
in England our councils have to provide a library service either in house or by contracting the service out to someone else.
The basic book loan service has to be free but libraries can legally charge for additional services such as reserving books, computer use etc. Some services are now trying to get rid of fines and reservation charges to remove barriers to use. It really makes me happy to hear the love for libraries on this thread. I’m made up that so many of you use and appreciate your library service ❤❤❤❤

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Semi-related to this, an author whose writing I dislike purely because it feels like she writes to make you cry is Jodie Picoult.
jodie Pcoult and Liane Moriarty fall into the same category for me,
I enjoyed their first few books, but every release gets worse and worse IMO, picoult loves a death, illness or suicide and I find her books all the same. They all blend into one,
I read apples never fall last week and although it was readable (it wasn’t awful 🤷‍♀️) it doesn’t live up to the reviews, and I really didn’t enjoy nine perfect strangers, I find once I go off an author I tend to dislike their books from there on in.
I hate saying it but Sophie Kinsella is another one I’ve struggled with as time goes on.

I finished and loved honeymoon for one! Now reading two Milly Johnson books (I had one half finished)

(And I finished about 4 Christmas themed books I won’t post about here for fear of judgment 😂 my own and others 😂)

anyone read the heights by Louise Douglas? I’ve got it but haven’t started it yet

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
If youve got the time to do it, why not? I do try and read even 1 chapter every night before bed but sometimes Im just too tired.

My OH doesnt read at all so our down time together is usually spent watching TV. We dont manage to sit down til 8pm so usually at most we can watch 3 episodes of something but now we are doing Game Of Thrones its usually only 2. I do get up early though and now Im WFH and no commute I can read a bit in the AM before the kids get up.

francaispangol

I'm reading The Hating Game. It's not my favourite, but I was actually excited to get into bed and read after work tonight (for the first time in a while), so I'm back into reading again!
I've moved to Normandy and my proximity to Paris and the incredible Shakespeare and Co bookshop is dangerous for my bank account - I have purposefully not bought a bookshelf for my flat as I know I'll fill it and never be able to move all the books if I come back to the UK (before I even think about my extensive collection at my partner's in Scotland 😂).
The Paris Connection is next on my list, anyone read it?

Currently listening to About a Boy by Nick Hornby on Audible, it's brilliant. Love the film too

Picked up some books at the car boot sale...
Dead Famous by Ben Elton
Chart Throb by Ben Elton
Armadillo by William Boyd

Lola123

VIP Member
I did think I’d missed a thread here and how could I forget it was the book one. I’m on a book buying ban 😆 including kindle! For those of you who enjoy political books hired: undercover in low wage Britain was great! My large list of read books continues I’m now on 151 😅

HoGi

VIP Member
Just finished reading a book on the Kindle and thought I had about 18% left to go. No, it turns out there's a sample of the author's other book so I didn't realise I was so close to the end! Does anyone else get annoyed by this?
I HATE this!!! Had it with a book last week and was so disappointed as the book just ended without being wrapped up, whereas I thought I had another chapter or two to wind it up. More annoyingly, it was a sample of their previous book that I have already read.

I have had it with audiobooks too, where it says 20 minutes remaining, but it is just a long ass author's note that I have no interest in.

Reactions: 6

Lola123

VIP Member
It might be controversial but I don't see the appeal of reading in the bath 🙈 I pretty much only read in or on my bed. I used to read at work sometimes on my lunch break but that's it. I used to get travel sick on the tube 😂

@twilightgarden Thanks for sharing the link. I'm stuck on 16/20. I will head over to twitter to try to figure out the rest
Oh it’s bloody relaxing! I’ve done it for ages but then I spend ages in the bath 😂😂 so it’s just nice to switch off after a hard day at work

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I heard Richard Osman on the radio a while ago and he was saying he wanted to write anonymously with a pen name so that people would just view the books as books and not books by a celeb, but it was pretty much a deal breaker that the books were published under his real name. So I'd say there is no ghost writer.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
How wonderful is it though that Kindle has probably enabled many to continue physically reading. Holding a book and turning pages does require a bit of dexterity.

I know there are audiobooks but its not the same.

On that note I finished Celeste Ng - Everything I Never Told You on Audible. I dont know what I feel about it. It wasnt at all what I thought it would be? Maybe thats my fault 😂 Id definitely have given up had I read it though. Has anyone else read it? Thoughts?

Audible have a 2 for 1 sale and some good books on that. Last House On Needless Street, Lies I told by Harriet Tyce, Man Called Ove.

Ive ended up getting Lisa Taddeo Animal as I wanted to read it. Cant pass up a 2 for 1 🙈 I had credits.

Last edited:

qwikti

Chatty Member
Nearly finished 'Hostage' hoping to get that finished tonight. Also reading invisible girl by Lisa Jewell through borrowbox and the best of friends by Lucinda Berry on the kindle.
Pls update with your thoughts on the Lucinda Berry book! I read The Secrets of Us by her, and didn't find that it reached it's full potential for me sadly, so I'm curious how her other books pan out.

Hoping to try more thrillers over the next few months, so I bought Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton (thanks to seeing the 99p deal in this thread!) so I might try that later this month!

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Urgh the horrible cold is still kicking my butt. Gone back to bed and would usually relish the chance to do some kid free reading. But neither of my books are capturing my attention, although I'll be gone back to them when I'm better. Any recommendations for low brain power thrillers/mysteries that are available for 99p on Kindle?
Steve Cavanagh 50 / 50 is on 99p atm. His books are brilliant.

I have hit book 50 so I wanted it to be a classic. I read animal farm for the first time. I don't like pigs anymore 😂 😂

I'm going to try to find some books on amazon prime reading to give my bank balance a break

• Haha

Geranium

VIP Member
I’m glad someone else has read the same volume of books as me because when I tell people I wonder if I’m far too ahead of most people 😂😂
I’m a quick reader and I read every day. My husband and I like to read while we eat and before we go to sleep, so we have a lot of reading time scheduled into our day. I’m sometimes a bit hesitant to share how much and how fast I read in case it looks like I’m showing off but this is such a nice, safe thread I thought I’d risk it 🙂

• Heart