Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am not keen on super long chapters. But you know what I really dislike? Chapters that flip back and forth between present day and the past. One of the worst books I tried to read was The Time Traveler's Wife.
I've read small amounts of that, and it was quite hard to follow. Which may be something of the point...

Recently I tend to read non-fiction ahead of fiction, although I have been reading Wolf Hall, which is somewhere in the middle, I suppose. Actual non-fiction wise, I've been reading the first volume of the Chips Channon diaries, which is a very interesting insight into 1930s high society.

Reactions: 3
For anyone interested the Honeymooner by Melanie Summers is £0 to buy on kindle. It has been in my wish list for a while and I noticed that today!

Reactions: 2
I am not keen on super long chapters. But you know what I really dislike? Chapters that flip back and forth between present day and the past. One of the worst books I tried to read was The Time Traveler's Wife.
I really disliked The Time Traveller’s Wife. I had a friend at the time who said it was her all time favourite book and she would reread it several times a year and she made me read it. I stopped taking her recommendations after it, I absolutely hated it. And the film too!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I think The Time Travelers Wife is one of the most Marmite love it/hate it books there is. I read it and got to to the end and felt really let down, like where was the story that is supposed to be so good?!

Reactions: 7
I loved it when I read it years ago but looking back…Well, it’s a slightly creepy premise for a love story?

Reactions: 1
Finished stolen last night, wow so many red herrings.
I really thought it was the sister all the way through, and didnt suspect the ex husband once. I thought maybe the family of the husband though. One thing I didnt get was the chapters that basically mirrored each other from the kidnappers and alex' perspective when she had Flora. The kidnapper talked about the woman seeing them in a cafe etc then Alex spoke of that too. It went way over my head. I dont know if it was supposed to be a clever bit of writing and Ive missed something as I am a quick reader

If you have the Kindle version of The Time Traveler's Wife, there's a short extract of The Yellow House which is a sequel of sorts. It focuses on Henry's daughter Alba who is also a time traveler.

The film version of the film was utter gash. Edward Norton would have been my ideal Henry. There's a TV adaptation but the actor who plays Henry was in the Inbetweeners movie and has tit on his nose in one scene 🙈 I just can't get past it.

I bloody love the book (as you can tell) and re-read this summer, during a low point, for the first time in years. Definitely my go to book when I'm in a slump.

Reactions: 8
is Stolen by Lucy Christopher?

I’ve just finished reading In Case You Missed It by Lindsay Kelk, it was cute. Might read some more of her stuff, in the mood for nice cutesy reads

Currently reading Ghosts by Dolly Alderton. Feel like this has been discussed on here already. :unsure:

Reactions: 3
Audible sale on, over 500 books discounted to £3 until Saturday 18th. It says members only but I imagine you can sign up to the trial (3 months for 99p) and buy a few then cancel. I always check my library app before buying specific books too, yes I’m cheap 😂

Link for anyone interested. It shows the original prices but when you log in they’re all discounted to £3.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’ve just finished My Dark Vanessa. Meh. I struggled to get through it to be honest. It sounds awful to say in light of the storyline, but I just didn’t care much for the characters? Also the long chapters made it drag a little.

am currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing. I'm enjoying it but some of the passages describing the marshy landscape are extremely descriptive and when I finally get an image of it in my head, its thrown up in the air as I read on, because of further descriptions. I'm enjoying the book thus far, just find the above a bit irritating.

I had a bit of a reading slump the last couple of weeks as was struggling to get into a book. Finally finished it at the weekend and whizzed through a new book yesterday - The Marriage Betrayal by Shalini Boland. Absolutely loved it, gave it 5 stars. I couldn't put it down and it kept me guessing right to the end. Love when you get a good book!

Finished stolen last night, wow so many red herrings.
I really thought it was the sister all the way through, and didnt suspect the ex husband once. I thought maybe the family of the husband though. One thing I didnt get was the chapters that basically mirrored each other from the kidnappers and alex' perspective when she had Flora. The kidnapper talked about the woman seeing them in a cafe etc then Alex spoke of that too. It went way over my head. I dont know if it was supposed to be a clever bit of writing and Ive missed something as I am a quick reader
Who wrote it?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.