Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve finished Stolen!!

SUCH a good bloody book. At one point I actually gasped out loud.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Has anyone read the new Sally Rooney yet? I am interested to see how it compares to her other two books.
I have started it because I had more audible credits than I knew what to do with, I’m not a big fan of hers so much as I find her writing and reactions to it interesting. Two hours in and it’s pretty slow and heavy on the politics; I’d say it was more like Conversations with Friends than Normal People, which suits me fine as I thought the former was the better book. That being said, so far I’d say it’s more of the same with some environmentalism thrown in. I listened to an interview with SR where she spoke about how she only writes about what she knows intimately (hence her books and stories featuring characters with similar experiences to her own) so I’m not expecting anything new.

If you enjoyed her other books you’ll probably like it alright, if not best to steer clear judging from what I’ve read so far. Will update when I’ve finished it.

Reactions: 6
Finished Piranesi by Susanna Clarke last night, stayed up just to finish it because I really enjoyed it! Would give it a 4.5 stars, really loved the main character, and it was really atmospheric.

Would love to know if anyone has tried Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by the same author, and if you recommend it! It seems to be an absolute tome but if it's as good as Piranesi, I'll try to make time for it!
Joining this thread just to express my love for Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - it is absolutely one of my favourite books of all time! I have only listened to the audiobook of it however, which is absolutely amazing - the narrator Simon Prebble brings all the characters to life so brilliantly. I can imagine it might be a bit daunting to read the physical or ebook but if you have audible I would say definitely try it out, you will end up adoring so many characters. I actually prefer it to Piranesi but I love that one too.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It is no where near as good as Piranesi. About 100 pages longer than it needs to be with over complicated characters.
Ooh Piranesi added to the list.

I loved Jonathan Strange, although I did struggle with the last 100 pages, I feel like I don't want to recommend such a long book though in case you don't enjoy it! (but i really did love it!)
Joining this thread just to express my love for Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - it is absolutely one of my favourite books of all time! I have only listened to the audiobook of it however, which is absolutely amazing - the narrator Simon Prebble brings all the characters to life so brilliantly. I can imagine it might be a bit daunting to read the physical or ebook but if you have audible I would say definitely try it out, you will end up adoring so many characters. I actually prefer it to Piranesi but I love that one too.
Thanks for your reviews! I think I'll probably see if I can get the audiobook then! 3x speed is a wonder when it comes to slightly slower sections!

Reactions: 1
Currently reading Clovenhoof which is now crossed off my 148 listed want to read books!,🙄
Enjoying it so far.

Reactions: 2
I have been trying audiobooks as it is a free way to read through my library when I don't have time to get there. I tried an audiobook sample again this morning but unfortunately just couldn't get into it. I am really struggling with "listening" 😫

Reactions: 3
I have been trying audiobooks as it is a free way to read through my library when I don't have time to get there. I tried an audiobook sample again this morning but unfortunately just couldn't get into it. I am really struggling with "listening" 😫
I find that audio related stuff only works for me when it's non-fiction as otherwise I find it hard to keep up and engage/imagine 😭

Reactions: 4
I find that audio related stuff only works for me when it's non-fiction as otherwise I find it hard to keep up and engage/imagine 😭
Phew! I'm glad it isn't only me.

I've finished Killing Adam by Earik Beann. Interesting premise, kept me engaged but not sure I understood the ending.... Worth the 99p for something different.

Just finished All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffen and liked it.
I am about to start It Ends With Us by Coleen Hoover.

Reactions: 4
I’ve started My Dark Vanessa this evening. I’ve not read the reviews on the previous threads so going in completely open minded.

How long are the chapters though?! Just reached a chapter that is 55 mins long according to my reading time 😅

What does everyone prefer? Long or short chapters? Or not bothered?

Most of Kazuo Ishiguro's books are on sale for 99p on Kindle today! I've been meaning to read his stuff for a while now so i snapped up all of the books:)
I saw this! Have never read them and not sure what sort of books they are. I’m tempted to have a look but I have so many books on my kindle, loads on my bookshelf and a few Audible credits to spend! 🙈

I’ve started My Dark Vanessa this evening. I’ve not read the reviews on the previous threads so going in completely open minded.

How long are the chapters though?! Just reached a chapter that is 55 mins long according to my reading time 😅

I read this in March I don't remember the chapters being really long but they did vary and none of them were really short chapters.

I think I usually read books with shorter chapters more quickly because I think oh one more chapter won't hurt and I'm there an hour later 🙈

Reactions: 5
It depends on the book, if it’s fast paced and gripping, or I’m really into the story, I don’t mind too much about the chapter length.
Generally don’t like super long chapters as I feel like I’m not getting anywhere 😂 but too short and I think it makes the story really disjointed.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.