Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What does everyone prefer? Long or short chapters? Or not bothered?
Much prefer short chapters. Like another poster I think, just one more and then if it is only a few pages I will read another and another.

I think it makes a faster tempo read

Reactions: 9
I’ve finished Stolen!!

SUCH a good bloody book. At one point I actually gasped out loud.
@Oothedrama I'm LOVING Stolen. i'm racing through it. Thank you, 99p well spent!
im so glad!!!! 😭😭
I had the fear I over hyped it but it was probably one of the best I’ve read this year! The ending totally took my by surprise.

3x speed is a wonder when it comes to slightly slower sections
over the last few months I find I can listen to audio at 1.75 and understand it no problem,
Someone else heard it last week and actually said “what in gods name is that” 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
After seeing Stolen recommended so highly on here I might get it on audible. Saves me paying 99p for it to get buried in my kindle

Reactions: 3
over the last few months I find I can listen to audio at 1.75 and understand it no problem,
LOL 😂 sped up audiobooks can veer a little into 'a spell is being cast' territory so I don't blame them tbh

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Most of Kazuo Ishiguro's books are on sale for 99p on Kindle today! I've been meaning to read his stuff for a while now so i snapped up all of the books:)
You won't regret it. His books are beautiful. The Buried Giant is my favourite.

Reactions: 3
You won't regret it. His books are beautiful. The Buried Giant is my favourite.
I've had Klara and The Sun on my bookshelf since it came out but just haven't had chance to read it yet. (i'm blaming this thread for all the crazy 99p books that get mentioned!). But The Buried Giant is one i've been dying to read for a while now and so i think i will start with that one!

Reactions: 1
im so glad!!!! 😭😭
I had the fear I over hyped it but it was probably one of the best I’ve read this year! The ending totally took my by surprise.

Finished it. It certainly kept me guessing! Thanks so much for the recommendation x

• Heart
I'm gonna disagree with a few of you here: I didn't like Piranesi and don't think it should've won the women's prize. How Detransition, Baby didn't get on the shortlist I have no idea that book was incredible.

I love how varied this thread is ☺
I’ve said it so many times I know I’m like a broken record, but I just can’t get on with the prize winner authors.
they always feel so pretentious to me and I know I need to be more open to reading more from that genre I just struggle to even attempt to do it. 😩

Reactions: 10
What does everyone prefer? Long or short chapters? Or not bothered?
I much prefer short chapters. Always struggle much more when books are full of long chapters for some reason, think it just feels like I'm getting nowhere!

Reactions: 6
I prefer shorter chapters too. There’s something a bit unsatisfying about having read for 55 minutes but only getting through one chapter 😂

I know it’s the same amount whether it’s 55 minutes of one chapter or 55 minutes of 8 chapters but my head doesn’t work like that 😂

Reactions: 8
The long chapters of my dark vanessa ruined it for me imo. They were just too long and I did struggle to get through it which is a real shame.

I did finish it as it was a good book but the chapter lengths werent for me.

Reactions: 2
I never pay any attention to chapter length, I will now though! I just read and carry on until I have to stop. I never think "I'll read 2 chapters and then clean the bathroom" or whatever.

Reactions: 5
I’m middle ground, I like a new chapter for a new scene/setting.
But I hate ones that are 5 pages long and also ones that are 55 pages long.

I think an author needs to learn how long a scene should be before it gets boring and repetitive, that’s the making of a good book for me. 😬

I am not keen on super long chapters. But you know what I really dislike? Chapters that flip back and forth between present day and the past. One of the worst books I tried to read was The Time Traveler's Wife.

I have just read The Girls in the Attic by Marius Gabriel. It is a Kindle Unlimited book. About WW2 and it is basically a love story, but it was both beautiful and harrowing. I can't decide if it was kind of antisemetic or not. Was a weird one.

I am not keen on super long chapters. But you know what I really dislike? Chapters that flip back and forth between present day and the past. One of the worst books I tried to read was The Time Traveler's Wife.
That’s one of my all time favourite books 😀

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.