Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have just finished the 7th and final book in the DI Natalie Ward series by Carol Wyer. The are all on Kindle Unlimited and are decent reads, the first one in the series is called The Birthday. I enjoyed them all and didn't once have the ending figured out.

Going to read Stolen tonight.

Reactions: 3
I haven't been able to decide on what to read next, and I fancied a bit of comfort reading and humour courtesy of Bill Bryson. Turns out I only have A Short History of Private Life already on my Kindle (and Mr Bryson books never go below 5.99 and I'm too tight for them prices!) so thought eff it, I'll have a read of that. (I've not read it before so don't know why I have it already!)

I wish it was one of his funny travel books, but I enjoy his 'voice' so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it.

Has anyone else read any of his books? (You're probably all too young tbh) my Step Dad got me into them and they make me full on laugh out loud no matter how many times I re-read them.

Reactions: 4
I did think I’d missed a thread here and how could I forget it was the book one. I’m on a book buying ban 😆 including kindle! For those of you who enjoy political books hired: undercover in low wage Britain was great! My large list of read books continues I’m now on 151 😅

Reactions: 7
You’re gonna get me in trouble if I start buying Christmas based books, my boyfriend already tells me off every time a Christmas TikTok comes on my phone 😂😂😂

• Haha
I read Birdbox earlier in the year so I was really pleased when I caught the sequel - Malorie - on kindle for 99p.

I have just finished it and thought it was really good! It felt really easy to get back into the storyline and I felt like the ending was perfect.

Reactions: 5
I haven't been able to decide on what to read next, and I fancied a bit of comfort reading and humour courtesy of Bill Bryson. Turns out I only have A Short History of Private Life already on my Kindle (and Mr Bryson books never go below 5.99 and I'm too tight for them prices!) so thought eff it, I'll have a read of that. (I've not read it before so don't know why I have it already!)

I wish it was one of his funny travel books, but I enjoy his 'voice' so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it.

Has anyone else read any of his books? (You're probably all too young tbh) my Step Dad got me into them and they make me full on laugh out loud no matter how many times I re-read them.
I read A Walk in the Woods and Down Under many years ago, and loved them both 😍 Similar to you, they were hand-me-downs from my dad.

I'm struggling through A Short History of Nearly Everything on audiobook at the moment, which is his simplified take on science. It's good, but I think I've realised that I can't do non-fiction in audio form as I like to go over parts to make sure I'm taking it in properly. I listen to audiobooks when I'm out walking, and I'm finding I have to stop loads of times to rewind the book! It's also a bit hefty at 19 hours (I'm four hours in so far) 🤯

I love Bill Bryson. He seems like such a nice guy. Years ago I read Notes from a Small Island and it's still one of the funniest books I've ever read.

I've read nearly all Bill Bryson's books and A Walk In The Woods was my favourite. Close seconds were Notes From A Small Island, Made In America and Neither Here Nor There

Another Bill Bryson fan here. The first books I read were Neither here nor There and the Lost Continent. I much prefer his travel writing to anything else. I always say I’d be happy to be stuck in a lift with that man :)

My dad also got me into Bill Bryson too! His travel books are definitely his best, Notes From a Small Island was absolutely hilarious.

I think Lost Continent and Walk in the Woods are tied for my favourite, but I love them all. Notes From a Small Island is special because he visits George Orwell's grave and mentions Lord Asquith's grave in the same cemetery and my Nan is buried next to Lord Asquith ❤ (my Nan died about 15 years after the book came out but I feel like he's visiting her too when I read it!)

• Heart
Half way through Magpie by Elizabeth Day.
I feel like I’ve read it before, I haven’t, but it feels like this same plot has been done to death.
Anyone read it?
Does the plot follow the same overdone storyline or does it get better?

Reactions: 1
I have loads of books on my kindle but don't know what to move on to next. I might give it a couple of days and have another look!

I’ve just finished Hostage and really enjoyed it…

I didn’t guess who the actual “leader” was that was revealed towards the end. I was relieved when Sophia’s biscuit victim wasn’t actually any of her parents 😅 I found it slightly emotional at the end too

Next up is The Wild Girls by Phoebe Morgan.

I finished Stolen in one sitting. I really liked it, I can't do spoilers on my phone so will come back and say more when others have finished. I had never heard of Tess Stimson before, another of her books is on Kindle Unlimited so I am going to read that tomorrow I think.

You have a 100% success rate with recommendations for me @Oohthedrama ! The pressure is on ;)

Last edited:
I’ll be finishing Woman in the Window by AJ Finn tonight. Really enjoyed it. Going to watch the Netflix adaptation of it at the weekend however it doesn’t look like it got great reviews..

Reactions: 2
Started The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena tonight. Raced through the first 100 pages so hoping to read some more tomorrow

Finished The Pull of the Stars a couple of days ago. Cried buckets at it. Emma Donoghue does do excellent lesbian/queer historical fiction.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.