Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've not read it and have no interested in it as it sounds totally depressing. Thanks for confirming my decision!
Haven't read it either though I was planning to. I looked at some reviews and spoilers (because... logic?) when researching if I'd want to commit to such a long book just to be sad and honestly it sounded like a lot of it was to include 'sad/shocking' stuff for the sake of the book being sad. Honestly, I think it's the case with a lot of controversial topics in most fiction books

Reactions: 5
Haven't read it either though I was planning to. I looked at some reviews and spoilers (because... logic?) when researching if I'd want to commit to such a long book just to be sad and honestly it sounded like a lot of it was to include 'sad/shocking' stuff for the sake of the book being sad. Honestly, I think it's the case with a lot of controversial topics in most fiction books
Semi-related to this, an author whose writing I dislike purely because it feels like she writes to make you cry is Jodie Picoult.

Reactions: 4
Finished Small Pleasures last night, and I loved it! I loved the setting and the characters so very much, I will probably check out more of Clare Chambers' work now!

The ending was sort of strange and I didn't *feel* it as much as I felt the romance, but I did also anticipate it all the way through.

I'm just reminded that I need to read more contemporary/literary fiction, because I really did enjoy myself. It felt like writing is very effortless for Chambers, it never felt try-hard or strained, it was just a beauty.

Reactions: 3
Finished Small Pleasures last night, and I loved it! I loved the setting and the characters so very much, I will probably check out more of Clare Chambers' work now!

The ending was sort of strange and I didn't *feel* it as much as I felt the romance, but I did also anticipate it all the way through.

I'm just reminded that I need to read more contemporary/literary fiction, because I really did enjoy myself. It felt like writing is very effortless for Chambers, it never felt try-hard or strained, it was just a beauty.
I like Clare Chambers a lot, she is one of my must buy authors. Learning to Swim is probably my favourite book of hers.

Reactions: 2

I'm about half way through this and really enjoying it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Semi-related to this, an author whose writing I dislike purely because it feels like she writes to make you cry is Jodie Picoult.
jodie Pcoult and Liane Moriarty fall into the same category for me,
I enjoyed their first few books, but every release gets worse and worse IMO, picoult loves a death, illness or suicide and I find her books all the same. They all blend into one,
I read apples never fall last week and although it was readable (it wasn’t awful 🤷‍♀️) it doesn’t live up to the reviews, and I really didn’t enjoy nine perfect strangers, I find once I go off an author I tend to dislike their books from there on in.
I hate saying it but Sophie Kinsella is another one I’ve struggled with as time goes on.

I finished and loved honeymoon for one! Now reading two Milly Johnson books (I had one half finished)

(And I finished about 4 Christmas themed books I won’t post about here for fear of judgment 😂 my own and others 😂)

anyone read the heights by Louise Douglas? I’ve got it but haven’t started it yet

Reactions: 7
Finished reading Buried by Lynda La Plante. Couldn't put it down. I just love her books.

Now started reading the next in the series featuring the same detective and it's awesome - called Judas Horse. I really don't know any better crime writer.

jodie Pcoult and Liane Moriarty fall into the same category for me,
I enjoyed their first few books, but every release gets worse and worse IMO, picoult loves a death, illness or suicide and I find her books all the same. They all blend into one,
I read apples never fall last week and although it was readable (it wasn’t awful 🤷‍♀️) it doesn’t live up to the reviews, and I really didn’t enjoy nine perfect strangers, I find once I go off an author I tend to dislike their books from there on in.
I hate saying it but Sophie Kinsella is another one I’ve struggled with as time goes on.

I finished and loved honeymoon for one! Now reading two Milly Johnson books (I had one half finished)

(And I finished about 4 Christmas themed books I won’t post about here for fear of judgment 😂 my own and others 😂)

anyone read the heights by Louise Douglas? I’ve got it but haven’t started it yet
I’ve just finished Calling Mrs Christmas by Carole Matthews 😂 I’m feeling festive so wanted something light hearted and twee.

• Heart
I’ve just finished Calling Mrs Christmas by Carole Matthews 😂 I’m feeling festive so wanted something light hearted and twee.
That’s my favourite light Christmas book. I want to go to Lapland so much!

Me too! I hadn’t really thought about it before as I don’t have children but I think I’d enjoy it nonetheless 😂 Especially the Ice Hotel!

@Oohthedrama I’ve read The Heights and didn’t love it. Character weren’t likeable, plot was all over the place and it was like Groundhog Day in parts… usually really like her books too.

Finished reading Buried by Lynda La Plante. Couldn't put it down. I just love her books.

Now started reading the next in the series featuring the same detective and it's awesome - called Judas Horse. I really don't know any better crime writer.
LLP was recommended to me so have started the Widows trilogy. Enjoying it so far!

Me too! I hadn’t really thought about it before as I don’t have children but I think I’d enjoy it nonetheless 😂 Especially the Ice Hotel!
You all know I love this conversation 😂 I have a real problem 😂
I loved that book as well! but my favourite authors for Christmas books are still Karen swan and Sarah Morgan, 2 that were released last year (that I loved!) where Sarah M and Milly Johnson.

**concern advertisement voice**
This is an urgent appeal to all authors,

Stop the “tilly has inherited a cottage/cafe/mansion/book shop” crap 😐

we don’t need another
- mischievous stray dog.
- Or a vet.
- Or a neighbour that has been hurt by love.
-‘Or a neighbour with a bad attitude who…. Has been hurt by love 🙄
- A widowed man with a kid. No.
- a village fare.

@Oohthedrama I’ve read The Heights and didn’t love it. Character weren’t likeable, plot was all over the place and it was like Groundhog Day in parts… usually really like her books too.
oh! Thank you, I’ll leave it on the TBR pile for a while then!
I don’t have much love for her 🙈 so I’m not in a hurry to read it when there’s a whole world of Christmas books to read in September 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I finished The One by John Marrs last night. It was a re read but I couldn’t remember too much. Really enjoyed it. I like how he talks about several characters but makes it easy to remember their individual stories when you first begin reading and then towards the end each characters story starts tying up at the same time.

I have another of his, When You Disappeared, still to read so may choose that next.

I’ve been in a reading slump for months now, last week I finally dug my kindle back out.

I read It Ends With Us in about 2 days 🤣 I didn’t put myself down as a romance fan, but I was fed up of long drawn out crime / murder novels which are a slog to get through. Sometimes you need something light and smutty 🤣 I read another similar book and now I’m back in the reading game.

I haven’t been on holiday for ages (thanks covid!) and I think I was missing the easy holiday sunbathe reads.

I think I’ll download Stolen after reading here. I’ve had Seven Husbands on my TBR list for ages so should give that a go!

I’d love it especially as my kids are grown up. I can be a big kid myself at Christmas! The dog sled bit is my idea of bliss. I love huskys.

LLP was recommended to me so have started the Widows trilogy. Enjoying it so far!

Those three books are so exciting. In 2010 the first two were made into a four part series - excellent. I can recommend watching it, even after reading the books. In 2018 the Americans made a film of the trilogy, but it didn't work as so much was missing, and it wasn't the same with American accents instead of cockney. 😅

When you've finished the trilogy, buy Buried ...

Diving back into my copy of "The beautiful and damned" by Scott Fitzgerald. Really enjoying the writing and the subtle details and ways scenes are described.

Reactions: 5
I have a confession and I need to get it out there,

last week I read…. The new book by Laura Jane Williams 😐 an… an influencer 🙈

her first book was tragic, no apologies it was like a Zoe Sugg “influencer book” 😒

I didn’t hate the lucky escape, it wasn’t great, but it was free and it wasn’t bad 😬 I feel better getting that off my chest 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Well, while we’re confessing to stuff, I read PTWM’s “fiction” the other week. It wasn’t even free 😕 but it was 99p and I was intrigued, okay?!

P.S - it was tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.