Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Currently reading Fake Law by The Secret Barrister. It's really interesting but I think it's reminding me too much of uni, plus I'm highlighting any bits I find relevant to my studies in case I decide to reference them later so. They do a wonderful job of explaining the basic concepts of the laws they're talking about, and why/how this fake mass-hysteria catches on around certain stories

Because that's a bit of a slog I'm also rotating in The Dennis Nilsen Tapes by Michael Morley. I'm only a few pages in but it seems that it'll be a good book! May watch that Netflix documentary after too

Reactions: 5
Currently reading Fake Law by The Secret Barrister. It's really interesting but I think it's reminding me too much of uni, plus I'm highlighting any bits I find relevant to my studies in case I decide to reference them later so. They do a wonderful job of explaining the basic concepts of the laws they're talking about, and why/how this fake mass-hysteria catches on around certain stories

Because that's a bit of a slog I'm also rotating in The Dennis Nilsen Tapes by Michael Morley. I'm only a few pages in but it seems that it'll be a good book! May watch that Netflix documentary after too
I got this from the library!

Well, while we’re confessing to stuff, I read PTWM’s “fiction” the other week. It wasn’t even free 😕 but it was 99p and I was intrigued, okay?!

P.S - it was tit.
thank you for the support 😂😂 I feel less judged and dirty 😂

speaking of the library, big big fan of late, you all know that, but…..

BE63DF85-A02D-49D4-88A0-9A8D42D9F5C7.jpeg

I think I’m busy that month.. 🙄

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Finished Beautiful World, Where Are You a few days ago, I pretty much stand by what I said originally that it’s more similar to Conversations With Friends. There’s a Normal People style romance but that’s less than half the book. It was okay, I don’t regret spending my time on it but wouldn’t say it’s one of the best I’ve read. I’ll put my little ramble under a spoiler (not actual spoilers, just vague thoughts)

Stuff I liked: the centrepiece of female friendship was interesting; SR is good at exploring complexities in all kinds of relationships and I enjoyed reading about the friendship/family conflicts. The characters are all 29+ which was refreshing as previously they’ve all been younger. The last chapters (about 2.5 hours in audiobook) were written particularly well imo.

Stuff I didn’t like: lots of sex scenes which mostly end in drama* (it got boring); unnecessary conflict that just felt stupid; a particular character was so unlikeable but in a way that made me wish they’d just disappear rather than loving to hate them; the ending didn’t feel like SR at all. Some of the academic talk got a bit too pretentious and long winded and reading her characters basically talk at each other gets annoying even if that is ~the point~.

*I listened on audible and while the female narrator got into character for the women in sex scenes, she gave no fucks about the men. At one point she acted out the man saying “is it okay if I come?” in the same tone as he might say “have you put the bins out?”. Had to laugh at that.

Generally speaking I find it odd that SR is currently so popular among the younger generation. I’m 27 and find some aspects of her work quite dated. The extreme thinness and hints about disordered eating that is consistent across her female characters has been picked up on a little, but not the relationships with men which are quite… questionable. Many of them date much younger women who are financially unstable (while they have steady careers) and the power imbalance is something SR makes really obvious but she never seems to attempt to unpack it like she does with class, therefore I think her younger readers don’t really either and it all feels a bit weird.

This is why I found CWF depressing 😂

Reactions: 2
Finished Beautiful World, Where Are You a few days ago, I pretty much stand by what I said originally that it’s more similar to Conversations With Friends. There’s a Normal People style romance but that’s less than half the book. It was okay, I don’t regret spending my time on it but wouldn’t say it’s one of the best I’ve read. I’ll put my little ramble under a spoiler (not actual spoilers, just vague thoughts)

Stuff I liked: the centrepiece of female friendship was interesting; SR is good at exploring complexities in all kinds of relationships and I enjoyed reading about the friendship/family conflicts. The characters are all 29+ which was refreshing as previously they’ve all been younger. The last chapters (about 2.5 hours in audiobook) were written particularly well imo.

Stuff I didn’t like: lots of sex scenes which mostly end in drama* (it got boring); unnecessary conflict that just felt stupid; a particular character was so unlikeable but in a way that made me wish they’d just disappear rather than loving to hate them; the ending didn’t feel like SR at all. Some of the academic talk got a bit too pretentious and long winded and reading her characters basically talk at each other gets annoying even if that is ~the point~.

*I listened on audible and while the female narrator got into character for the women in sex scenes, she gave no fucks about the men. At one point she acted out the man saying “is it okay if I come?” in the same tone as he might say “have you put the bins out?”. Had to laugh at that.

Generally speaking I find it odd that SR is currently so popular among the younger generation. I’m 27 and find some aspects of her work quite dated. The extreme thinness and hints about disordered eating that is consistent across her female characters has been picked up on a little, but not the relationships with men which are quite… questionable. Many of them date much younger women who are financially unstable (while they have steady careers) and the power imbalance is something SR makes really obvious but she never seems to attempt to unpack it like she does with class, therefore I think her younger readers don’t really either and it all feels a bit weird.

This is why I found CWF depressing 😂
Sally Rooney got very lucky, normal people was such a success for the bbc it secured her position as a popular author, but I really struggled to like any of her books.

Reactions: 8
Just finished The Man who died twice and I loved it. I think it was even better than The Thursday murder club. There are some really funny moments in the book but also some touching scenes as well especially in relation to Ibrahim (without giving anything away!)

Reactions: 3
You guys have lowkey got met into a christmassy reading mood, have downloaded 'Christmas at the Cornish Guest House' (don't judge me) from Prime Reading as a light easy breezy train-ride read. Not sure that I've settled on that one, so I am taking recommendations (from Prime Reading list) for more light romances though

Reactions: 6
Just got The Women of Troy out from my library- shocked to see it there cause it's so new! Enjoyed The Silence of the Girls (even though I know a lot of people didn't) so can't wait to get my head down and reading this weekend.

I just had an email from Amazon advertising ‘the flight’ for 99p on kindle so I’m giving that a go this weekend

Reactions: 1
Recommendations please

Best psychological thrillers from the past few years. I'm trying my hardest to get into 'stolen' and it's just not grabbing me. I'm not hating it just not loving it

I love a book with a good twist or 2

Reactions: 1
Recommendations please

Best psychological thrillers from the past few years. I'm trying my hardest to get into 'stolen' and it's just not grabbing me. I'm not hating it just not loving it

Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine
In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

• Heart
I've been reading Shuggie Bain for about three weeks now (really, really slow for me). I am enjoying the writing, but it feels very dense. I am in awe that this was a debut novel.

Reactions: 5
Recommendations please

I’ve just finished In My Dreams I Hold A Knife which was really good. I think it is pretty recent.

Back to festive books now though - Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I am loving all the chat about festive books already 🥰 I've been adding lots to my want to read list over the last couple of days but going to try and hold out another month or so before I read any.

Reactions: 7
I can totally get on board with a Christmas one especially if it contains
*broken heart/nasty break up
* bereaved love interest
* highly strung sibling who comes good
* some sort of daft inheritance
* falling over/ fainting/ needing a wee in shop/book shop/ cafe that happens to offer you job and/ accommodation immediately
* batty old lady/ curmudgeonly old farmer who “knows things” after all
* long lost ex
* narcissist mum

ahhhh maybe I should write it 😂😂😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
I've been reading Shuggie Bain for about three weeks now (really, really slow for me). I am enjoying the writing, but it feels very dense. I am in awe that this was a debut novel.
Its a decades work Im sure I read. It was turned down by so many publishers as 'we dont know how to market this'

Its a wonderful book but so sad.

On a similar note. Has anyone read American Psycho? Ive watched the film but I saw a tik tok talking about the book and people were commenting saying they could only read small parts at a time. Is it that bad?

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.