Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I started Beartown last night and wow Im drawn in right away. I didnt expect it as reviews Ive seen say its a slow burner.

Why do I need to work for a living? Oh thats right to afford all these books.

Im also reading Duck Feet but its an actual book and I never pick them up as easily as the kindle sadly.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Started a new book. As some of you know I was struggling with The Beekeeper of Aleppo and felt bad about not finishing it. But I’ve put it to the side and started The Dover Cafe at War and so far it’s really good. The front cover makes it look a bit simple but it’s really engaging.

You’re on goodreads! Do you have the same problem with the Russian sex bots following you and liking your reviews and ratings? I hardly post on there, only too keep a track on what I’ve read and I have 50 followers who love that I often give 3 stars to books 🤦‍♀️
The only reason I use Goodreads is to keep track of books I've read. It irritates me when I get notifications from people I follow, let alone see bots 🤣 I set a challenge and even that's hit or miss as sometimes it doesn't mark the book as read, despite my kindle showing 100% and I've definitely finished the book.

Reactions: 6
I started Beartown last night and wow Im drawn in right away. I didnt expect it as reviews Ive seen say its a slow burner.

Im also reading Duck Feet but its an actual book and I never pick them up as easily as the kindle sadly.
I loved Beartown. I really didn't expect to, but my other half recommended it.

Reactions: 1
Just finished. We were the lucky ones by gerogia hunter.
Based on a true story around a jewish family in ww2 Europe. Each chapter was a different family member telling their story for that particular time.
It sounds really good and I don't normally read books along those topics. I might give it a go. In all honesty confiding in my book friends -I try to avoid all books with WW2 themes. I'm Jewish so I find it too hard to read about. I know that probably comes across really strange but I just can't explain it. But yeah I've felt like that has been a guilty secret of mine that has stopped me before.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I agree super over hyped for me, but then I really didn’t like normal people at all as well
I really liked Crawdads, I thought it was a great kind of slow burner.

Didn't really like Normal People either, Maybe I'm old fashioned but the writing style bugged me, writing in the present tense with no quotation marks, not for me.

I enjoyed The Guest List, had an inclination as to whodunit but was pleasantly surprised with the ending.
I liked the Guest List too, I liked the mix of characters (who were, in the main, a bit more likeable than the characters in The Hunting Party). I'll admit I got the whodunnit wrong, but I was happy with how it was handled. Really liked the character of Hannah. I was listening to it on audiobook and they had a real lovely "northern lass" type reading her chapters

Reactions: 5
I really liked Crawdads, I thought it was a great kind of slow burner.

Didn't really like Normal People either, Maybe I'm old fashioned but the writing style bugged me, writing in the present tense with no quotation marks, not for me.

I liked the Guest List too, I liked the mix of characters (who were, in the main, a bit more likeable than the characters in The Hunting Party). I'll admit I got the whodunnit wrong, but I was happy with how it was handled. Really liked the character of Hannah. I was listening to it on audiobook and they had a real lovely "northern lass" type reading her chapters
I agree with the writing style it was the same with girl woman other, the new trend of lack of punctuation in books is just absolutely baffling to me. But where normal people just didn’t really interest me story wise at least girl woman other had some of the women’s stories that I loved - some not so much but I just find reading from the perspective of a teenager the most uninteresting and frustrati
Started a new book. As some of you know I was struggling with The Beekeeper of Aleppo and felt bad about not finishing it. But I’ve put it to the side and started The Dover Cafe at War and so far it’s really good. The front cover makes it look a bit simple but it’s really engaging.

You’re on goodreads! Do you have the same problem with the Russian sex bots following you and liking your reviews and ratings? I hardly post on there, only too keep a track on what I’ve read and I have 50 followers who love that I often give 3 stars to books 🤦‍♀️
Never feel bad about not finishing a book I firmly go by, 100 minus your age is the number of pages that if you aren’t into it put it down. There are exceptions if there’s a book people have told you it takes a while to get into or you really want to finish it.

Which can I say the idea of “oh yeah I hated it to begin with” “it really takes a while to get good” the weirdest thing that’s just accepted by people. It’s the same with tv shows. Why do we just accept that some things aren’t enjoyable for the first 1/4 or 1/2 and we just have to deal with it, in the chance we’ll like it later on.

Reactions: 11
Beartown ❤❤
I'm going to reread it soon. The 3rd book is due out next year

Benji is my favourite book character ever
I can't wait for the 3rd!! I love Benji too.

So pleased you're enjoying it! I'm jealous I want to read it for the first time again 😂 😂 I liked the sequel too.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve not heard of this Bear town so off to google it. My TBR pile is already ridiculous 🙈
same 😂😂😂😂

Last Tang Standing is actually really good 😂 for a light filler read I’ve enjoyed it, it’s very like CRA, and quite humorous at times.

glad I went with it, but now….. next book choice anxiety 😂

Reactions: 2
same 😂😂😂😂

Last Tang Standing is actually really good 😂 for a light filler read I’ve enjoyed it, it’s very like CRA, and quite humorous at times.

glad I went with it, but now….. next book choice anxiety 😂
You’re a fast reader! I’m not sure what to choose from my TBR pile, have narrowed it down to 3.
Shuggie Bain
The Appeal
We Begin at the End

all have had rave reviews 🤔

You’re a fast reader! I’m not sure what to choose from my TBR pile, have narrowed it down to 3.
Shuggie Bain
The Appeal
We Begin at the End

all have had rave reviews 🤔
I always have been 😂 I don’t do the sleep thing people talk about, so I tend to do most of my reading in the AM, I read more now I read on my phone because it’s easy to just pull out when I have a few spare min and not scroll on Instagram, I hardly use/look at Instagram or twitter at all anymore! Or spend hours watching YouTube shite at 3am 😆

Reactions: 4
Finished Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers yesterday. So, so good. I'm going to see what else she's written.
Starting The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh today. It was in my book club subscription this month. Anyone read it?

Reactions: 5
I agree super over hyped for me, but then I really didn’t like normal people at all as well as hated my sister the serial killer. Both of which everyone else I known is obsessed with so maybe my opinion isn’t worth a lot 😂
Thank you! 🙏🏼Everyone I've talked to,think I'm a weirdo😅✌🏼I have not read them yet, but will check them out for sure.

Finished Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers yesterday. So, so good. I'm going to see what else she's written.
Starting The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh today. It was in my book club subscription this month. Anyone read it?
I really like Clare Chambers, I think Learning to Swim is my favourite book of hers but you can't really go wrong with any of them.

I have hit book 50 so I wanted it to be a classic. I read animal farm for the first time. I don't like pigs anymore 😂 😂

I'm going to try to find some books on amazon prime reading to give my bank balance a break

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I have hit book 50 so I wanted it to be a classic. I read animal farm for the first time. I don't like pigs anymore 😂 😂

I'm going to try to find some books on amazon prime reading to give my bank balance a break
Stephen fry does a really good job of being a pig in the audio version 🤣🤣

• Haha
Finished reading Good As Dead, one of the first reads books. It was a pleasant surprise, I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.