Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just finished Hostage and really enjoyed it…

I didn’t guess who the actual “leader” was that was revealed towards the end. I was relieved when Sophia’s biscuit victim wasn’t actually any of her parents 😅 I found it slightly emotional at the end too

Next up is The Wild Girls by Phoebe Morgan.
I really liked Hostage too and thought the ending was so clever! Read Falling not long after and thought it was pretty meh. So overhyped IMO

Reactions: 1
About to start A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini has anyone else read it?
Me! I only finished it last week. It took me a little while to get into it but I absolutely loved it (I gave it 5* on Good Reads). I liked the way the story followed the history from a women’s perspective. It felt more profound reading it with the knowledge of current events going on in Afghanistan too.

I’m about to start Once There Were Wolves by Charlotte McConaghy next.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
About to start A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini has anyone else read it?
It's my favourite book of all time ❤

I don't really like using the word favourite though, it doesn't feel like the right thing to say given the content of the book.

Reactions: 4
It's my favourite book of all time ❤

I don't really like using the word favourite though, it doesn't feel like the right thing to say given the content of the book.
I know what you mean. I still get a bit shivery when I think about it…

I’ve read The Wild Girls by Phoebe Morgan in the last 24 hours. Started off better than it ended I think, but a relatively short read.

Just going through my TBR pile and The One by John Marrs is on there. Not sure how, as it seems that I read it two years ago and marked it 5/5 (thanks Instagram book highlight 😂). However, I can’t bloody remember it. I’m terrible at that!

Think I’m going to give it another read anyway, I’m intrigued…

Glad to know it’s not just me! I read a book and seem to forget what happened as soon as I’ve finished 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I've still not finished Stolen. Am loving it but just struggling to find the time to read this week but I'm not going to sleep tonight until I finish it!

Glad to know it’s not just me! I read a book and seem to forget what happened as soon as I’ve finished 🤦‍♀️
I usually know I enjoyed a book a lot because I remember what happened after putting it down. Though it sometimes takes a while to realise that

I've been having a bit of a reading slump, but have been building a tbr list based on TikTok recommendations
I tried reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and the writing just didn't really click with me for some reason
Picked up My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell instead

Finished Ghosts by Dolly Alderton. Not sure about the downstairs neighbour plot, but overall thought it was good and I'd recommend it.
Now onto Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers and I'm absolutely loving it. It's the right era for me and written in a tempo I love, so hope it doesn't disappoint. Anyone else read it?

Reactions: 5
Just finished Orange Is The New Black.... The book is vastly different from the TV series

Is it worth a read?
It's okay but quite a slog, the book is way longer than I expected. Not really sure I'd recommend it unless you were really interested in the subject matter (which Piper Kerman fails to make overly interesting either)

I'm glad I got it for £1.50 in a charity shop

Reactions: 3
So I finally finished Stolen….. OMG 😱 I was not expecting that ending at all. Loved all the twists and turns throughout the book.

I did briefly think Luca’s parents might be involved towards the beginning of the book but then kind of forgot about them and Luca being alive was a huge shock for me.

Finished The Pull of the Stars a couple of days ago. Cried buckets at it. Emma Donoghue does do excellent lesbian/queer historical fiction.
She wrote Hood which is such a good book. I've read it several times.
All about grief and how the deceased is remembered in different, not always flattering, ways. Sounds depressing but it really really isn't. The opposite.

Finished Ghosts by Dolly Alderton. Not sure about the downstairs neighbour plot, but overall thought it was good and I'd recommend it.
Now onto Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers and I'm absolutely loving it. It's the right era for me and written in a tempo I love, so hope it doesn't disappoint. Anyone else read it?
I really enjoyed Small Pleasures. It was just such a nice book.

I am reading Stranded by Sarah Goodwin at the moment, it is a 99p Kindle book. Never heard of her or this book but I saw her commenting on Instagram and she just seemed like such a decent person it made me want to read her book. It is good so far but there are a lot of characters and I am not sure how it will pan out.

Oh and The Five is currently 99p on Kindle. One of the best books I have read this year.

Last edited:
I'm about to start it too! Just finishing off my current read and then I'll get onto it tonight. Super excited, it's been recommended to me by a close friend

Reactions: 2
The Book Thief is 99p on Kindle if anyone hasn't read it. Beautiful book, one of my faves.

Reactions: 5
The Book Thief is 99p on Kindle if anyone hasn't read it. Beautiful book, one of my faves.
I read that recently and sobbed my heart out at the end. Would also recommend!

I'm reading The Last Letter From Your Lover by Jojo Moyes at the moment. Needed something easy to get into as have been in a bit of a reading slump.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.